Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: Suzuki GS1000e/s/gs1100/gsx1100 project...

  1. #51
    bobtail84's Avatar
    bobtail84 is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Westcliff-on-Sea Essex. UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
    Cool! Was it hard to find the rear hub? I bought one some years ago, and it took some searching.. I went with 4.25X18 rear and the original 19" in front. Lately I've switched to 3.5x19 in front and a GSX-R fork and the 4.25 rear matches that nicely.

    This is what it will look like with a 150 tyre, but you are maybe going for 160?

    The Hubs are quite scarce in the UK so when I saw this pair I snapped them up sharpish.

    I am going to fit a 160-60 18 in the rear & 110-80 18 on the front.
    Jeff

    Living the dream...

    1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Aust-Agder Norway
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail84 View Post
    The Hubs are quite scarce in the UK so when I saw this pair I snapped them up sharpish.

    I am going to fit a 160-60 18 in the rear & 110-80 18 on the front.
    That's gonna be awesome I see you did the 530 conversion, and that'll give you a lot more space. When I researched for my 520 conversion I found that D.I.D (witch I see you bought) was the best in terms of width/strength. I'll send you some measurements later today, but I can say that the only thing that gave med problems was the support arm for the rear caliper. The round one that runs from the caliper to the front of the swing arm. I haven't sorted that out yet, I've just replaced it with a flat bar mounted on the outside of the mount points to make some more room for the tire. I haven't gotten around to research what solution others have found for this. If anyone knows, please post here, or in my thread. I guess both of us are interested in tips on how to solve this. I've thought about just bending the old one, as you don't apply that much pressure at the rear, but I don't know how much momentum the rear brake generates and if this could make the tube bend further.

  3. #53
    bobtail84's Avatar
    bobtail84 is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Westcliff-on-Sea Essex. UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Update time..

    The wheel builder has sent me some pics of my completed wheels which he has boxed up and posted, they should be with me at the weekend.




    I have also had the tyres delivered as well, they are Dunlop sportmax alpha 13. The rear is 160/60 ZR 18 and the front is 110/80 ZR18.

    Jeff

    Living the dream...

    1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

  4. #54
    bobtail84's Avatar
    bobtail84 is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Westcliff-on-Sea Essex. UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
    I can say that the only thing that gave med problems was the support arm for the rear caliper. The round one that runs from the caliper to the front of the swing arm. I haven't sorted that out yet, I've just replaced it with a flat bar mounted on the outside of the mount points to make some more room for the tire. I haven't gotten around to research what solution others have found for this. If anyone knows, please post here, or in my thread. I guess both of us are interested in tips on how to solve this. I've thought about just bending the old one, as you don't apply that much pressure at the rear, but I don't know how much momentum the rear brake generates and if this could make the tube bend further.
    Hi Lars, thanks for sending me the measurements, they are a great help.

    I am working on a torque arm solution using 7mm thick flat aluminium bar with slight angled bends, I will put up pictures when I have a working solution. As I am fitting a 160 on the rear I was aiming to keep the inner edge of the torque arm flush with the inner edge of the swinging arm. My thoughts on whether the torque arm will bend under breaking is I don't think it will due to the fact the caliper mount is held on the wheel spindle and will be held tight by the nut on the spindle which reduce the risk of it moving, the torque arm should not be under massive pressure under braking also the rear brakes are more likely to lock up the wheel before bending the arm, I will report back what I find.
    Jeff

    Living the dream...

    1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    4,192

    Default

    If there's any doubt as to the compressive strength of the torque arm, investigate whether a skinnier one can fit underneath and be in tension.
    It would be very strong in tension and nearly foolproof.
    Note, 'nearly'.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

    Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Aust-Agder Norway
    Posts
    290

    Default

    This is going to be awesome!

  7. #57
    bobtail84's Avatar
    bobtail84 is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Westcliff-on-Sea Essex. UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    If there's any doubt as to the compressive strength of the torque arm, investigate whether a skinnier one can fit underneath and be in tension.
    It would be very strong in tension and nearly foolproof.
    Note, 'nearly'.
    Dave,

    That has defo crossed my mind, I am building the wheels up at the weekend so I will offer the wheel up and see where we go from there.
    Jeff

    Living the dream...

    1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •