Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki GS1000e/s/gs1100/gsx1100 project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you have it all buttoned up and ready for the road, it would be nice if you could get it on a dyno.
    With all the hot rod bits having it tuned perfectly makes sense.
    Speaking from experience, failing to disclose all motorcycle related costs to the significant other is not lying.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      When you have it all buttoned up and ready for the road, it would be nice if you could get it on a dyno.
      I have an engine builder/ tuner about 10 minutes from the house and I have already spoken to him about running the bike over to be tuned on his motorcycle dyno. There will be a video to accompany that.

Speaking from experience, failing to disclose all motorcycle related costs to the significant other is not lying.
      ain't that the truth.
      Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Soooo, it's been a while since the last update... life sometimes gets in the way.

After the salty_monk brake conversion I found the feeling on the front brake leaver was not as I would like it so I changed it for a Bandit item.

which works very well.

I've also upgraded the front fork internals with Race Tech Emulators, the difference in night and day compaired to the stock setup.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Also I changed the rubber on the old girl. I realise that some members have their favorite makes of tyres for many reasons, price, wear and others but I thought I would try a premium brand. I personaly feel the extra money is well spent as the feel from the road is good, I had Battlax before and the front did wear in a very odd way, that could have been the forks as well but the internals are now changed so I will see how that goes.

More to come soon.
          Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

I have used the BT45s for years. Like the grip not too keen on the longevity.
            Did yours start to "cup"?
            I found if i didn't have enough air pressure they started to do that.
            Last edited by steve murdoch; 04-11-2020, 10:25 PM.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Did yours start to "cup"?
              I found if i didn't have enough air pressure they started to do that.
              They did start to cup and I had the front wash out twice at low speed, the tyres were not 2 years old.. The rear tyre was very good and I managed nearly 5000 miles but the front was disapointing.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Awesome work! Keep it up!
                Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Looking good! Just knocking the foibles out of the 1100G during the running in period now
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Looking good! Just knocking the foibles out of the 1100G during the running in period now
                    I did see your video of the exhaust and loved the noise, I hope your neighbours are very understanding.

On a simlilar note I have been speaking with Jon at Racefit and have pulled the trigger on a Racefit Legend... https://store.racefituk.com/collections/legend for goodness sake don't tell the memsahib or there will be an unfortunate death in the family, mine...
                    Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Ok a little more stuff done.

When the bike was originaly purchased it was painted gold and rough as a badgers bottom so I have finally got around to rubbing down the fairing and having a trial fit on the bike, more paint was removed after the fitting. The faring is a genuine Suzuki original and the bike was a cooley but so much was damaged or missing it was beyond restoring, mainly due to the fact the original frame was damaged and replaced with a GS1100 import as we did not get that modle in the uk as such.

A little bit of satin black paint to hide the poor quality workmanship by my goodself as this was my 1st ever attempt at spraying also it was using rattle cans.

The end result was not to bad either.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

A little more activity in the shed..

When I offered up and pre fitted the fairing before painting I noticed the indicators were inside the fairing due to there size, I had fitted some cheap chinese copies that were half the size which I really liked so I fabricated a pair of extentions from 50mm x 30mm x 3mm aluminium box which was sprayed black.

Once the headlight was re assembled everything was checked to make sure lights and indicators all worked and it all looked ok. I cant seem to change the picture aspect in the forum albums section, I must be doing something wrong..

And the end result was, in my eyes quite successful even if I do say so myself.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Looking good.. I like the look of the new pipe! When do you get it?
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Looking good.. I like the look of the new pipe! When do you get it?
                            They have a bike to drop back in London end of May then pick up mine on the same day and they want my bike for a couple of weeks to make some templates as my frame has not been modified which is very unusual over here aparently.. so covid-19 depending should be done by the end of June.
                            Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Nice.. something to look forward to then! Make sure you post a soundbite!
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Nice.. something to look forward to then! Make sure you post a soundbite!
                                Will do
                                Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Working...
                                X