No Spark Situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark Situation.

I was riding on the freeway the other day and my engine completely turned off. It felt like the kill switch had been hit. I pulled to the side and tried starting it again, it spun but didn't catch. I called a tow truck and while waiting i tried starting it again and it fired right up. I rode it off the freeway and it died again, idling at the first light, and didn't start again for another 20 minutes or so. I pushed/rode it home, and then tested both coils for spark and neither had it. The battery is in good shape and so is the charging system. Is this a sign of a failing ignitor or do they not work like that? Is there something else that could cause the loss of spark on all the cylinders simultaneously?

Could be the ignitor. Your model 550 is known for weak ignitors. Better double check your charging system to make sure it's not overcharging since that's bad for the ignitor.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The battery reads 13.7 while running. Is it possible for an ignitor to fail and then continue working later on? I was checking the voltage at the coils, and they felt pretty hot. Could that be a sign of a bad ignitor as well?

Comment

Coils get toasty during running.Your ignitor could be getting too hot and crapping out but a connection could be breaking also and cutting off power to ignition system- faulty kill switch,etc. You could install a jumper wire to orange/white wire at either coil, so next time it craps out connect other wire end to positive battery terminal- this bypasses harness problems. If it restarts/runs with this bypass, you got connection problems. If it does run like this, you will have to stall it out to kill engine!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I tried as Tom suggested and it did not start. The bike will consistently run for about 15 minutes then lose spark on all plugs until it has sat for 30 minutes or so. Does this mean it must be the ignitor?

Comment

QUiting after it warms up is a typical failure mode of electronics, such as the igniter.

I was pondereing if the pickup could have the same symptoms. But after thinking of it more, the pickup is more like a coil of wire. Actaully two coils of wire, one for each ignition coil, so would seem that would not suspect both of those to warm up and fail at the same time.

The way to check the pickup is to take on ohm check with a meter, which might be kinda hard to do aftger it has failed and is still warm, but can give it a try.

Last edited by Redman; 03-27-2016, 08:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

After it cut out again I checked the resistance of the pickups and one did not have any reading. However once it cooled off it showed about 400 ohms, the other was around 350.
              I assume that the signal generator is the problem, but I cannot find any replacement part at a used part store or otherwise. Is there a way to repair these pickup coils or mount different ones from another bike to the existing timing plate?

Comment

The pickups are generally fairly reliable - but they're all getting a bit old now, and even a good used set might not last as long as you would hope.
                It's a tossup between that and shelling out for a Dyna set-up.
                Otoh, somebody might know for certain what other pickups might fit - Suzuki used a lot of parts between models. I doubt that the complete assembly would swap from anything else (I'm not even sure the 650 is a contender here), but the pickups themselves might - if you determine how they're wired; from your measurements, I take it they're likely two wires and a common return; physical size, etc. Another factor is the shape and size of the profile of the trigger.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ive opted to go with the Dyna 2000 setup, because if something as reliable as the pickup coils are failing, the ignitor cant be far behind. After speaking with a Dynatek employee, I found out that none of their ignition products are specifically designed to fit an 83 550. They offered alternatives, like a Dyna made for an GS1100 or 700, but they did not sound very sure. Is there a Dyna model that can easily be modified to work?

Comment

Working...
                  X