1980 gs750 engine rebuild...HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs750 engine rebuild...HELP!!

Alright guys I need some help cause I am completely stumped. I rebuilt the engine on my 750...rings,gaskets, carb rebuild, checked all the bearing journals with plastigauge, cleaned everything and made sure it was within spec and all that good stuff. thanks to bike cliff i have the service manual and followed it through everything.

I just got every thing together and I was ready to start her. Put some gas in the carbs so I could start balancing them and when I went to start it the starter relay just clicked. It was because the battery was dead. Charged the battery went to start it and the starter was turning the engine over sllllooowww. Also the starter relay started smoking from the wire that connects the relay to the starter. Idk what I am doing wrong but I'm kinda kicking myself at this point cause I had the bike running in September when I tore her apart. The only reason why I tore it down was because it sat for 10 years before I bought it and I wanted to make sure everything was up to par. Any help would be much appreciated cause I really love my beautiful Selina (yes of course I named her) and I'm excited to ride her again...hopefully
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM.

Well let's see, Make sure that All of you electrical connections are clean, especially the grounds. How old is the battery, could be weak. Sounds like you may have a bit of drag, you did oil all the bearings and cylinders when you put them back together I hope. You might test for drag by turning the engine over by hand with a wrench. If it is very stiff or hard something is wrong, especially since you did not replace anything but gaskets. Do a little more testing and report back.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

i replaced the piston rings while i was in there. I did oil everything before i put it all back together. there is only alittle resistance when turning the engine by hand but that is obviously from the spark plugs being in. it is easier when they are out. the battery is only 8 months old but i just had it tested this morning and it is bad...which is odd cause its not all that old. the engine ground is new so no problem there but i think i am going to replace the end on the battery ground and the starter relay ground because they are starting to look bend and weak. they are 2 prong so i am going to switch them out with eyelets since they give a better connection. i am going to get a new battery from the local suzuki store in about an hour cause they are charging if for me so i can throw it in when i get home. i will report after i try the new battery.

the starter relay smoking was because the ground was barely touching so that is fixed. can the starter motor go bad by moving it around while it was out if the bike? i didnt hit it or anything but i did wipe it off then it sat in the shelf for a couple months.

Comment

I doubt that the starter can go bad by just moving it, they are pretty tough.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

If you have compression, spark and fuel it should kick over.

Did you time the cams/crank properly from TDC 1/4?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ya I time it as the service manual said and adjusted the valves. So the battery was the problem. I got it to fire up and now I just have to balance the carbs. Is it pointless to sync the carbs if I'm swapping out the stock exhaust for a vance and hines megaphone. I was going to sync the carbs then put the exhaust on tomorrow but don't wanna balance now if I'm going to have to balance after I put the new exhaust on

Comment

Working...
            X