clutch wont disengage transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch wont disengage transmission

so i just rebuild the engine on my 1980 GS750E. i got her purring like a dream and went to take her on the maiden voyager...went to put it into 1st gear with the clutch pulled all the way in and she stalled. ive tried adjusting the cable at all 3 places.

i can see in the oil hole that it is moving the plates out but something has to be wrong here. i had a barnett friction plates and springs in but put the original in to see if it was just the barnett plates. still did the same thing. thought maybe dirty oil so i changed it twice since its getting all the junk out from rebuilding it.

any and all help would be much appreciated

Have you tried relocating the clutch lever arm on its shaft so you get more actual throw? You should be able to feel the contact- not much cable travel before plates start seperating
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ya I adjusted it as far as it would go and it still won't disengage. The transmission. It stalls out every time I put it in gear. When on the centerstand the tire keeps going

Comment

Your Clutch lever is adjusted like this one?

Comment

OK, how much of the engine did you take apart? What does the lever feel like? How long was the engine out of service?

Could be you put something together wrong. Could be the plates are just stuck, actually if you can see the plates moving apart and they are not releasing they are stuck. Very lucky, it's easy to fix... Like one minute or less and no tools involved.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ya my lever looks like the one above. I had the engine out for 4 months rebuilding it in my basement. I tore it all 5 he way down. If the plates are sticking what's the fix for it? I did forget to make sure there weren't any grooves in the clutch basket so if it's not the plates sticking to each other I figure it's probably the plates sticking to the clutch basket

Comment

So you never took the clutch apart? Or were all the plates taken apart?

To unstick it, put it in first gear, clutch lever pulled in and ride it around whacking the throttle open and closed. The plates will free up in a few seconds.

Comment

Ya i had the clutch basket and shift fork off but thats it. the plates were taken apart and soaked in oil before reinstalled. I wish I could ride it around. As soon as I put it in 1st it jumps forward and stalls. I've tried revving it up then dumping it into 1st but it still stalls.

Comment

Find a hill and bump start it and then torture it into cooperating
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No, get the engine running, push it forward and put it into gear while it's rolling. That way you won't kill it.

It's odd for the plates to be stuck if you soaked them in oil. Usually takes a few weeks of sitting or longer for them to get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                      Your Clutch lever is adjusted like this one?

Tony, are you asking him if his clutch arm is on backwards like the one in the pic?

Comment

That's on correctly.

Comment

Wait that is on backwards?? That how mine was before I took it off

Comment

That's on the correct way for an 82 1100E!

Comment

Sorry for the confusion I caused....I guess I been working on other bikes that have a different orientation and haven't messed with my 1100 mechanically in quite a while.
                              It looked odd and I blurted that out prematurely. Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X