Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chokes/Bogs down at mid-upper speeds (newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Busbis View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]44884[/ATTACH]
    I assume this is fine for what my plugs look like? The other side looks identical.

Just before I added the gasket to the crank case, my buddy disconnected the fuel filter from the gas tank on accident, so in a panic he connected the petcock's vacuum hose to the fuel line nipple. I had forgot about this, and now believe this could be the cause of the issue?
    I'll look at BikeCliff's website tonight to see how to clean out the petcock. Any insight on whether or not this could be the issue?
    So where's the fuel line hooked to, if the vacuum hose is on the petcock? They're different diameter hoses, so I would think it would be difficult to put the vacuum on the petcock outlet.

Still would like to see the other end of the plugs.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
      This is the part that caught my attention:

Originally posted by Busbis View Post
      ..., when at higher rpms in 3rd 4th and 5th gear, the bike "bogs down", "chokes" or "sputters" severely lowering acceleration capabilities. I'm thinking it could be that I drain the fuel filter in first and second gear, get up third/fourth/fifth and the petcock can't supply the engine with enough gas?
      Suggestion: ditch the fuel filter.

There is already a filter at the petcock and another one at each inlet valve, there is no need for another one.
      What phydeauxmutt said; remove the fuel filter.

Because from what I read, your engine cannot develop enough power. Multiple possible reasons for this exist, a f$!ked up mixture being one of them. The fuel filter could be responsible for this (even likely judging by other problems described). As removing the fuel filter is very easy and done quickly, do so, and spend your time on more complex troubleshooting later on. It would be quite annoying to take apart half of your bike only to find out that the fuel filter was the culprit, wouldn't it?

You can always put it back on afterwards, but in my opinion, with the quality and short storage duration (high turnaround) of today's fuel in civilized parts of this world, a fuel filter is an unecessary gimmick.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You might also try cleaning the gas cap vent. It is easy, you only have to remove a couple screws. Spiders like to make their nests in there. Just a thought.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          It would be quite annoying to take apart half of your bike only to find out that the fuel filter was the culprit, wouldn't it?
          Would certainly be entertaining for the rest of us, just like last time, and the time before that..... Have you ditched the filter yet?

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
          You might also try cleaning the gas cap vent. It is easy, you only have to remove a couple screws. Spiders like to make their nests in there. Just a thought.

V
          Just run it with the gas cap popped open a little as a test.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
            I have never done any such thing ! ! ! ANYWAY, these bike don't need, and WON'T run right with an inline fuel filter. the stock petcock flows too slow without any extra restrictions, so get rid of it. You really do need to have a look, and take a picture so WE can have a look at the OTHER end of your plugs. I'm betting they are VERY pale because it's running lean. We should see a good close up of your petcock-hose setup. If you could get the vacuum line on the fuel side it wouldn't run for $hit if at all. please do these few things for us to better help you out...

Which NW suburb are you located in? Maybe one of us could make a weekend house call to help you out...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

20160331_163600.jpg
              It does look as if they're fouled! So what's my plan of action? Before I posted I had tried running with the gas cap off--No help :/

For the past two days I believed the issue could have been from the igniter unit/CDI system..My issue was that the igniter unit was not actually supposed to ground to the frame through the metal backplate, however I fixed that issue with a ground wire to the frame, no luck as of an hour ago on the acceleration although the electricals are seemingly fixed!

As far as my petcock setup; I think I confused y'all, I don't mean to say the vacuum and fuel line are incorrectly routed currently. The hose from the vacuum line was stuffed on top of the fuel line nipple only to prevent the gas from spewing all over my garage. They're properly in tact and in place now.

I used a standard fuel line in place of the fuel filter, still having the issue today. I'm not quite sure what is meant by checking my coils for resistance. I will research tonight and figure it out, additionally I'll clean the gas cap (because why not). Side note--Can an electrical issue be the cause of this? My rectifier is absolutely disgusting and once I have a long enough break from classes I'll figure out what it does and how to properly clean or replace it.

I live in Lake Zurich, I have no problem riding the bike over somewhere also! I really appreciate that offer and all the responses I've received, learning a lot over here.

Comment

20160331_163710.jpg
                Can't figure out how to post more than one photo per comment, but here's another. If it's any help I'll post the remaining two. I believe this is for cylinders 1 and 4.

Comment

Plug 2(M. Left).jpg
                  Plug 2 (mid-left)

Comment

Plug 3(M. Right).jpg
                    Plug 3 (mid-right)
                    The petcock seems to be seeping fuel, could this be the reason for the fouling? Or could the vacuum line have been flooded with gas causing this?
                    Additionally--My baffle had fallen off a few days ago. Could this impact anything?
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Can't see the end of the plug that is supposed to represent #1 and #4, but it looks a bit dark. #2 looks pretty good, but #3 is LEAN.

"Baffle fell off"??? Yes, that will impact things, as the jetting needs will change drastically.

Comment

Yeah, it was held on by a bolt and the entire baffle fell off while riding three nights ago. The issue was prevalent before then also, though. There was never the tube inside, it was just..a plate on the end of the exhaust pipe. Should I look into adjusting the carbs? 100% new to that field however.

Bike has always backfired, but since I've had this high-RPM issue, seems to backfire a lot more.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Jetting in the carbs will depend on the airflow through them. If you remove restrictions like the airbox and muffler baffles, your jetting requirements will change.

My suggestion (and several others, I'm sure) would be to get a proper baffle in the muffler to restore peace and (relative) quiet in the neighborhood, then tackle the jetting project.
                          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Me, I've always run fuel filters in my lines and NEVER had a problem with them. I don't use the stupidly small ones that are sold for bike use, though. Anyone who's ever had to needlessly strip their carbs and clean out the little inlet filters in them because the useless petcock filter has let crap through, will curse the day they decided to run without a proper fuel filter in place.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              Anyone who's ever had to needlessly strip their carbs and clean out the little inlet filters in them because the useless petcock filter has let crap through, will curse the day they decided to run without a proper fuel filter in place.
                              In my opinion, you have evidently let your "proper fuel filter" fail, if your petcock filter is letting crap through. THAT is your main filter. If it is letting crap through, replace IT.

The only time I have had anything get stuck in the carbs was because it was already downstream from the petcock. Yeah, I didn't flush the carbs fully and properly after a cleaning/rebuilding session, had to go in and clean out the pilot jets. Except for the couple of times that has happened, I have never had the petcock filter let me down. The only time I have seen crud on the inlet filters is when I break into a 'new' set of carbs that have never been in my garage before, so the petcock filter seems to work just fine (for me).
                              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                                In my opinion, you have evidently let your "proper fuel filter" fail, if your petcock filter is letting crap through. THAT is your main filter. If it is letting crap through, replace IT.

The only time I have had anything get stuck in the carbs was because it was already downstream from the petcock. Yeah, I didn't flush the carbs fully and properly after a cleaning/rebuilding session, had to go in and clean out the pilot jets. Except for the couple of times that has happened, I have never had the petcock filter let me down. The only time I have seen crud on the inlet filters is when I break into a 'new' set of carbs that have never been in my garage before, so the petcock filter seems to work just fine (for me).
                                That petcock filter is pretty coarse, if you care to have a proper look at it. Fine muck can, and will, get through it, and will eventually accumulate in your carbs. If you're lucky it might get drawn through and burn harmlessly, or it might settle down into the carb bowl and if you're lucky again, you might have drains on them and might remember to drain them once in a while.
                                If you're unlucky, and it only takes the once, the filthy gas you buy all unknowingly, will dump enough crap into your little carb filters to have you sitting at the side of the road cursing your luck.
                                To me, it's indefensible and utterly stupid to not guard against that.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X