Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket gauges w/ LED indicator install wiring (Dime City Cycles mini gauges etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket gauges w/ LED indicator install wiring (Dime City Cycles mini gauges etc)

Here's a wiring chart to help anyone installing these really sharp looking "chrome" (stainless steel, actually!) 2.5" mini gauges with 4 indicator LED's - oil/turn signal/high beam/neutral - available from Dime City Cycles and a few other Internet sites:

The oil switch and neutral switch run power to indicator led's whenever the ignition is on, and the ground is switched on/off to operate the indicator. This is a common way manufacturers get by with simple 1 wire switches to simplify the wiring. So DO NOT tie in the grounds for those two LED's in with all the other grounds!

More tomorrow. I shortened the wiring and spent quite a bit of time crimping these 18/20g wires into a tiny 9 pin male/female connector set to make the install a lot cleaner and easily removable. Lots of heat shrink tubing was used, as well as soldering on additional length to the bike harness to get all the wires to a uniform length.

Hope this helps someone out. This pertains somewhat to other gauge and indicator setups as well, with slight variances.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

I am having difficulties with this wiring. Could you explain how you wired the turn signal light? The right one blinks when the Speedos yellow+ wire is hooked up to the green and yellow/black - wire is hooked up to black wire. In order for the left turn signal to work I have to reverse this connection. What is the best way to hook this up

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyRider View Post
      I am having difficulties with this wiring. Could you explain how you wired the turn signal light? The right one blinks when the Speedos yellow+ wire is hooked up to the green and yellow/black - wire is hooked up to black wire. In order for the left turn signal to work I have to reverse this connection. What is the best way to hook this up
      It would help a LOT if you could tell us what bike you are working on. Different GSes will require different setups to use that speedo.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

1982 gs650g, using the same mini gauges as mentioned in the original posting, from Dime City Cycles

Comment

Would I need to use a diode or relay?

Comment

Did your original gauges have one or two lights in the instrument cluster for signal indicators?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Am using that gauge on our GT250 cafe racer project.
              Have it wired up & working. (Except for the oil pressure light.)

You have to use the diodes for the turn signal as Chuck78 has shown.

The LEDs only work in one direction.
              The yellow wire is connected to positive & the yellow/black wire is connected to ground.
              The diodes connect to the two turn signals & provide positive to the yellow wire irrespective of which turn signal is on.

Comment

My factory instrument cluster had only one light for the turn signal indicators. So from what I am getting from this article is that only the green and black wire require a diode, then spliced together to the yellow cable. Does the yellow/black wire then just hook up to any frame ground? Also which diodes would I use?

Comment

Yes, yellow/black goes to any ground.

Several companies sell the diode kit. You could also roll your own kit.

I used the Kuryakyn diode kit that costs $8. Its available via eBay, Amazon & lots of bike parts retailers.
                  We know you want to customize your bike and kick it up a notch, and with our Kuryakyn motorcycle parts, you can do just that! Explore our collection today.

Comment

Awesome. I'll go ahead an order a kit. Thanks again to everyone for there help, that is why I love this site.

Comment

Or you could switch to a 3 pin flasher relay and wire the pilot light directly:

Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

In the original post Chuck78 did not tie in the grounds for the oil and neutral light. Then do I just leave those two wire disconnected and capped off.

Comment

I believe the oil sensor AND the gear indicator switches ARE the path of ground. Light gets constant hot, ground is switched. Light is never on until it gets grounded.
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yea I get that power Is connected all the time and ground is control via the switch. I just don't know what to do with negative wire coming from the oil and neutral led lights.

Comment

You hook the ground wires off of those LED bulbs to the wire coming from the oil switch and I believe the gear indicator selector ( double check the factory wiring diagram to confirm the gear indicator switch also works this way)
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X