Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem

Hi everyone, I bought a 1979 GS850 a couple weeks ago, but I keep having to charge the battery, because I don't think the bike is charging it. What do I need to fix?!?

I'm kidding! I've been perusing the forum over the last couple weeks, and I've read enough to know that is arguably a "stupid question", given the number of times it has been covered.

But I did buy a 1979 GS 850, and it does have a known charging problem. The PO was probably the nicest seller I've ever met through c'list. He spent some time going through the issues with the bike (and there are a number of them ), explaining the parts he's replaced, etc etc. He threw in all the OEM parts he replaced, a Clymer manual, some spare spark plugs and whatnot. He also kept pretty good records of what he has fixed in the manual. So a quick shout out to Steve in Philippi, WV!

Anyway, I've been working my way through the Stator Papers, and I need some guidance in a few areas...

Phase A
    Step #1

The battery is brand new, but I've been running the bike some over the past few weeks, maybe 30 minutes total. I ran through the "quick test" procedures yesterday, just to get a good idea of where the battery is at:

• When just turning the key to "on" so the lights are on for 10 seconds or so, the battery is at 11.92v. (The headlight is not installed, so only the tail/brake light was actually on during this time.)
    • After the bike has warmed up for a few minutes and is idling (choke down), the battery is at 12.4v.
    • At 2500rpm the battery is at 13.02v.
    • At 5000rpm the battery drops slightly to 12.88v.

Step #2

When running @ 5000rpm with the black lead on battery (+), and red lead on red output of R/R, reading was 0.63v.

The SP calls for "checking the entire lead". So that would mean checking from the battery to the fuse box (the Main fuse), from the red wire out of the fuse box to the 'T' where it connects with the red wire out of the R/R and the red from the ignition switch. According to the wiring diagram, the red output from R/R connects up with a red lead from the fuse box. I read somewhere on here that the 'T' connection happens above the air box, behind the fuel control switch.

How often is that 'T' connection a source of the problem? I would probably have to remove the gas tank to check it, so unless it is something that is often an issue, I'd rather avoid messing with the tank.

When it comes to the fuse box, what would I be looking for? I pulled that back of the box off, and all the soldering looks OK. The bike has 30k miles on it, but it was garage kept, so there isn't a lot of gunk on the connectors. Is using the multimeter to check resistance along the wiring something that makes sense?
    Next time I am at my storage unit, I'll try to take a few pics of the connectors and fuses.

Step #3

When running @ 5000rpm with the red lead on the battery (-), and the black lead on the black/white output of R/R, the reading was 0.96v.

That was around 2 weeks ago. I noticed that the black/white ground out of the R/R had a 1/2" section where the plastic was stripped back. I think the PO might have used this point to do this test voltage - at least that is what I used it for.

I went ahead and routed the ground straight to the battery (-), as suggested in the SP.

Retesting, the reading dropped to 0.05v, which is pretty good.
    But to get that reading, I had the red lead on the battery (-), and the black lead an inch away on the crimped fork connector. How else would I test Step #3 with the R/R grounded straight to the battery?

Phase B
    Step #1

The only consistent readings I was able to get are below:

Yellow & blue/white 3.5ohm
    Blue/white & green/white 4.0ohm
    Green/white & yellow 4.5ohm

Could this be the result of slightly corroded connectors? The green/white connector had some greenish corrosion it, but it just looked like surface patination. Again, I'll try to post some more pictures over the next couple days.

I will probably continue with the rest of the testing this weekend, unless y'all think that the stator is toast.

Quick side question:
    Am I correct in thinking that in the picture below those two widgets are the starter relay and the output terminal?

What does the output terminal do? Is it correct that it just has one wire going straight to the (-) battery terminal, and one straight the to (+)? I ask because the wiring diagram for the bike has the (+) wire (from the Output Terminal) going to the starter relay (or to what I am assuming is the starter relay). Now technically the red (+) on the output terminal does connect to the red (+) on the starter relay, but it happens at the (+) battery terminal.

On the wiring diagram below, I partially erased the red (+) wire from the output terminal to the starter relay, and drew the wire going straight from the Output Terminal to battery. This is how my bike is currently wired:

My Starter Relay only has 3 wires connected to it; compared to the diagram above it is missing the red wire to the Output Terminal and the ground. Below is the current wiring.

Sorry for the mega-post full of questions, I just wanted to lay everything as I currently understand it out on the table.
    I appreciate any answers, critiques, or suggestions!

For starters, if you're getting 13 volts you should not be having a problem. 13 volts is not optimum, but it's enough. I've been running my GS850 no better than that for 3 years now. I'm told, for the last 3 years, that my stator is weak and about to go poof. But it hasn't, and 13 volts keeps my battery up fine. If you wire all of your 3 stator leads straight to the R/R (one takes a detour) you may pick up a volt and then it's tip-top. I picked up a little over a volt just doing that, along with improving my grounds. I have a brand new battery sitting out here in an RD350 that goes dead overnight, no parasitic losses. You may have a parasitic loss you can test for easily, or a bad battery. Is the battery up good when you park the bike after running, or does it lose charge during use?

Comment

You have dirty connections. The drop in voltage at 5000 RPM tells you that and the high voltage drops across the leads at 5000 tells you where to look.

The quick test is supposed to be done with the headlight on, but until you clean the fuse box and connections it is secondary.

clean the connections and re do the quick tests as per the instruction.

Comment

Thanks for the link posplayr, that answered what my next question would have been.

I swung by Home Depot yesterday after work and got some contact cleaner and some di-electric grease. I'm going to order some Deoxit online, it doesn't look like they carry it in stores. But even by just using the contact cleaner and retesting the resistance between the three stator wires, all three dropped down to 0.75ohms! Pretty wild.

When I hook everything back up I'll connect the third stator wire directly to the R/R, bypassing the light control switch. Hopefully as you mentioned wymple, I'll be able to recover a stray volt.

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
          Thanks for the link posplayr, that answered what my next question would have been.

I swung by Home Depot yesterday after work and got some contact cleaner and some di-electric grease. I'm going to order some Deoxit online, it doesn't look like they carry it in stores. But even by just using the contact cleaner and retesting the resistance between the three stator wires, all three dropped down to 0.75ohms! Pretty wild.

When I hook everything back up I'll connect the third stator wire directly to the R/R, bypassing the light control switch. Hopefully as you mentioned wymple, I'll be able to recover a stray volt.

10 amps through 0.1 ohms is a full 1 volt of drop. You need resistance less than 0.1 ohms. This is in the charging system connections where the voltage drops relate directly to loss of battery charging voltage from the spec values of 14.25-14.5V at 5000 RPM.

So you need to be way better than 0.75 ohms. You can't even measure this is ohms which is why you have to measure it at 5K RPM using voltage.

Comment

Quick update.

Sorry for not responding to your timely answers; I'm keeping the bike in my storage unit, so I haven't had daily access to it.

posplayr, the 0.75ohms of resistance on the three stator wires were done for the first step of Phase B of the Stator Papers. The SP puts the desired resistance between 0.5 and 2.0 ohms. "Are all readings are within 0.5 to 2.0 Ohms." I still have yet to get past the first step in Phase B.

Good news is that testing the battery voltage with clean(ner) connections and the third stator wire going straight to the R/R did yield >13.5v when idling, @ 2500rpm, and @ 5000rpm. Of course this is w/o the headlight on, but it's headed in the right direction I guess.

Comment

Quick update.

Sorry for not responding to your timely answers; I'm keeping the bike in my storage unit, so I haven't had daily access to it.

posplayr, the 0.75ohms of resistance on the three stator wires were done for the first step of Phase B of the Stator Papers. The SP puts the desired resistance between 0.5 and 2.0 ohms. "Are all readings are within 0.5 to 2.0 Ohms." I still have yet to get past the first step in Phase B.

Good news is that testing the battery voltage with clean(ner) connections and the third stator wire going straight to the R/R did yield >13.5v when idling, @ 2500rpm, and @ 5000rpm. Of course this is w/o the headlight on, but it's headed in the right direction I guess.
              Typically A comes before B but in the case of the measurements you are talking about are pretty irrelevant. The main relevance is that those readings can be as misleading.

Comment

Just saw this thread and noticed this in the original post:
                How often is that 'T' connection a source of the problem? I would probably have to remove the gas tank to check it, so unless it is something that is often an issue, I'd rather avoid messing with the tank.
                I would really recommend getting familiar and comfortable with removing the tank. It's part of normal maintenance.

Right now, it will give access to electrical connectors that need to be cleaned. If you haven't rebuilt the carbs, they should be next on your list. Another highly-recommended (no, it's mandatory) item on your to-do list is valve adjustment. No getting around it, you will simply HAVE to remove the tank. It's not that hard, even if it's full.

Comment

"I would really recommend getting familiar and comfortable with removing the tank. It's part of normal maintenance."

Absolutely! You can't keep these critters running right without diving into their maintenance. And unless you have oodles of cash, don't figure on others to fix it right for you.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X