Non-Vacuum Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Vacuum Petcock

I am thinking about getting a non-vacuum petcock for my 1980 GS750E. Is there any concern with using a non-vacuum petcock on this bike? Also do I need to plug the vacuum tube on the CV carbs?

Thanks,

2Stroke

No problems switching to a manual petcock and yes you need to plug the vacuum port on the carbs.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The concern is that you MUST make sure you turn it off after each ride. If not, you risk flooding the engine if one of the float valve fails to shut completely. This is a very high probability by the way.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I am going with the Z1 Pingle.

2Stroke

Comment

Good choice, LOVE my pingle. Not sure if you need an adapter plate or not for your bike but Z1 will sort you out. A great thing I ordered was some proper metric fuel line.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

And I even shut my non vac petcocks off if I am running into the store or a restaurant. Its just become a reflexed habit now.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you for the advice.

My main concern is if my engine wants gas I want it to be able to get it.

2Stroke

Comment

I will have to get the adapter plate with two holes and centered.

2Stroke

Comment

Hi,
                  that's pretty much what I did on my 1980 Gs850L and turn the fuel of before putting her in the garage but I kept the original peacock, took out the internals and sealed it up, I think it was with a polyurethane sealant ? and it never gave any bother. The petrol tap I used was a red and black plastic one of e@ay like the ones on Brig@s and Strat@on and it's now a small leak, only problem it's gave. I plugged the vac pipe SHORT hose, a golf ball tee or fuse seemed to be about right.

Comment

Not sure but I think on the 1980 750 there's not enough room under the tank for the taller Pingle petcock to fit, check that out before you buy. For the 1981 750s they moved the petcock in front of the carb, gives more room for the petcock.
                    A small bolt works better than a golf tee for plugging the vacuum line, the threads help it grip the rubber hose and make it less likely to shoot out if the engine backfires.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 04-06-2016, 06:55 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just make sure the petcock will clear the carbs.
                      Torn & Frayed
                      79 GS1000E
                      80 GS1100L (2)

Comment

Working...
                      X