New to the Thread 1978 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Thread 1978 GS750

I am the second owner of this GS750. I am in the process of replacing the head gasket and valve adjustment on the bike. The bike has about 24k on the odometer. I am thinking about turning the bike into a café racer with drop bars and a few other things. I am worried about doing this to the bike because it is pretty much all original except the exhaust. What do you guys think I should do? Keep it AS-IS or go with some mods?

DSCF0240.jpg

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM.

If I were you I'd leave it be. It looks fantastic. But to each their own!

Comment

Are you sure it's a 78? I thought only the 77 had spoke wheels and a single disk up front. That seat looks different than I remember my 77 looking though. I don't think mine had that strap running across it.

Regardless, very pretty bike you have there. It's yours so do whatever you want. Be careful about how much you put into in though. In perfect condition they're not worth a lot and if you make permanent modifications it'll be worth even less. You'll never get what you put in it back. So only spend the money that makes it more fun for you.
      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Welcome. Thats great looking cycle, and yours to do with it what you want. Personally, I would keep the mods to a minimum.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That is a very nice '77 - way too good to "cafe". My two cents....
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The bike is titled a 1978. I think it was sold in 1978 and the title was from that year. The frame date says 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
              Are you sure it's a 78? I thought only the 77 had spoke wheels and a single disk up front. That seat looks different than I remember my 77 looking though. I don't think mine had that strap running across it.

Regardless, very pretty bike you have there. It's yours so do whatever you want. Be careful about how much you put into in though. In perfect condition they're not worth a lot and if you make permanent modifications it'll be worth even less. You'll never get what you put in it back. So only spend the money that makes it more fun for you.
              They made spokers in '77, '78, and '79.

Originally posted by waldrtw View Post
              The bike is titled a 1978. I think it was sold in 1978 and the title was from that year. The frame date says 1977.
              Built in '77 as a '78 model.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

A '78 model built in late '77. In '78 you could get wire spoked wheels or cast. Show us a picture of the ignition switch? That will tell for sure which year. You can put another front brake on using that wheel, or newer brakes from a 1980+ GS, or if you want you can have excellent brakes, search Saltymonk. And yes that one is way too nice to cut up. At least ride it first, you may enjoy it as it is.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would not chop it up. Just freshen up your brakes with some new or upgraded lines and pads. Get the motor dialed in, good rubber, get the wheels aligned, etc. Replacing the stock shocks with one inch longer units will quicken the steering quite nicely.

Comment

Had one just like it, except for the Kerker and what looks like an 'E' seat, MUCH more comfy-
                    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

If you wish to add a front caliper to the right fork leg you'll need to swap out the slider for one with caliper mounting bosses.

Comment

Put me in the "leave it alone- don't hack it up" category.

Clearly too original and nice to do that. I owned the same exact bike, and yes it's a 1978 for certain, with the better E model seat as mentioned.

Comment

Except the flat early seats are much more comfortable for longer rides. You can sit on the front for a while, sit on the back for a while, side sideways with one foot on the front peg and the other on the back, switch it up and sit the other way, then back on the front all without having that foam ridge up your ass. Besides the flat ones look a lot better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                          X