The Suzuki gs850G as a first motorcycle for a new rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts of what you describe mirror my experience last year

I did my very first kilometres on a bike (GS 550) in the forest near my parent's place (including falling over the second time I rode), and went to a nearby hill with next-to-none traffic to learn the clutch and manipulations to continue driving from a complete stop hillside. As soon as I felt confident enough (read: still scared as hell, but not enough) I ventured out of the village. After that, next town. After that, to the city I live in. When I racked up 2000 kms, I took the mandatory driving course (three days required by law here, and it's not recommended taking the course earlier). Sometime later, I lost my fear just enough (not reckless, mind you) to ride a short distance on the highway, and over the course of another half-year these distance got longer and longer, and at the end, after two last prep rides with my course instructor, I took the exam and aced it on the first try (The examiner really enjoyed to ride the old bike, for once he had a comfortable place for his bum, in contrast to contemporary sport bikes popular with the younger crowd).

As we had a mild winter, I never put the bike into storage and rode it throughout, sometimes commuting to work, and often going for fun rides countryside.
    As of today, I rode my first bike 7000 km's and bought a second 550 to swap parts, and get it back on the road as well.

Your bike is a mere 50kgs heavier than the 550's, I wouldn't discount it as a beginner's bike. You'll build up the muscle in no time.

It's nice to hear that other's in here had similar experiences at the beginning.

So just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get where you wan't to be. And it's going to be boatloads of fun.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Ease into it...but don't give up.
      Your eventual sense of accomplishment will be worth it over time.
      The 850 would not be my suggestion for an ideal first bike - but that decision has been made
      Your son is right -- pick up your feet !
      - Riding on grass is difficult and you need to be careful (avoid the front brake on grass or prepare to be down)
      Best of luck - someday you will look for an even bigger bike as you skills grow.
      My 850 is called the little bike at my house....
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Nice work here!
        I've been riding for about 50 years and recommend that folks start smaller. Less weight to worry about allows greater focus on the riding aspect.
        I always suggest a small, light bike like maybe a Honda 250 Rebel. Low seat, light weight, modest power or even a no-shift scooter. Get used to riding a bit before you take on something as tall and heavy as the 850.
        I lost a thumb 5 years back and have stepped down to 500 (or less) size bikes and don't feel I've lost a thing to the riding experience. Sure, they get a little buzzy at highway speeds but that's my least favorite place to ride.
        Ride Safe, Enjoy!!

Comment

The 850 probably is not the ideal beginner's bike, but it's far from the worst choice that could have been made. I have an 850GL which is also not ideal but probably a bit better since it's lower to the ground.

One thing about the 850 is that it is fairly forgiving to start out with while providing plenty of excitement once you've gained some skill. Basically the tachometer is divided into two regions: below 4.5k rpm or so = tame. Above = hold on.

This GL was my first bike and it did the job for me. Do take it easy before heading out onto the road. If you ever have a doubt about passing a car, the look of the road on the curve up ahead, or even hopping on the bike at all, follow your gut instinct. Can't tell you how many times that's saved me. Ride within your abilities but realize that you'll ride much better if your attitude is one of competent confidence. Once your brain has wired the bike's controls into your muscle memory, everything becomes mostly automatic and the act of piloting the bike more like meditation than panic.

Finally, know that low-speed stuff is the hardest part of motorcycling. You should practice it because you will need it, but most day-to-day riding is far easier.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            Once your brain has wired the bike's controls into your muscle memory, everything becomes mostly automatic and the act of piloting the bike more like meditation than panic.
            Now that the weather is a lot nicer I plan on putting more saddle time in to make that happen. I considered going out tonight after work....then decided that after I got out of work, got supper on the table, and fed all the kids/wife/dogs/cats that it was too close to dusk for my comfort. Its getting easier every time I think.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
              I always suggest a small, light bike like maybe a Honda 250 Rebel. Low seat, light weight, modest power or even a no-shift scooter. Get used to riding a bit before you take on something as tall and heavy as the 850.
              Buying something smaller was my original plan, but my wife noticed I kept checkout out pictures of UJM's and didnt notice the difference of size and already bought the bike a couple years ago and Id say close to a thousand getting it in good shape has been spent.

So, one works with what one has I suppose.

Comment

That is a wonderful story!

Thanks for being so detailed and honest. I loved every word of it.

A recommendation would be to return to the instruction pad and do the MSF course again. With a break of seven years, no matter level of skill you had then, it will be considerably diminished by now.

Yes, that will cost a couple of dollars, but it will be WELL worth it as you will regain confidence, dramatically improve skill level and avoid learning BAD habits, which is highly common with those that do not take the course.

There is a great of good to be had there, and no downside at all, plus, as a bonus, you may well find your insurance company will reward you with a discount for taking the course.

The discount is often 10% for up to three years after the course date, and depending on your rates, that discount may cover the entire cost of the course.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                  That is a wonderful story!

Thanks for being so detailed and honest. I loved every word of it.

A recommendation would be to return to the instruction pad and do the MSF course again. With a break of seven years, no matter level of skill you had then, it will be considerably diminished by now.

Yes, that will cost a couple of dollars, but it will be WELL worth it as you will regain confidence, dramatically improve skill level and avoid learning BAD habits, which is highly common with those that do not take the course.

There is a great of good to be had there, and no downside at all, plus, as a bonus, you may well find your insurance company will reward you with a discount for taking the course.

The discount is often 10% for up to three years after the course date, and depending on your rates, that discount may cover the entire cost of the course.

​Where's the "Like" button...
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Excellent intro to the GS saga.
                    Of course, back in the day, it was quite common for young and foolish eejits (like myself) to buy an old large pile of scrap and go haring off into the distance with it. At least you had the sense to take it easy and be cautious.
                    A lot of the young wans I knew back then didn't, and not all of them are still around.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you want to practice riding but can't be arsed to get the bike out of the garage, put it up on the center stand and hop on. Visualize and practice working the controls for taking off, upshifting, downshifting, stopping, etc. It may sound dumb but it totally works for helping build that muscle memory.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                        If you want to practice riding but can't be arsed to get the bike out of the garage, put it up on the center stand and hop on. Visualize and practice working the controls for taking off, upshifting, downshifting, stopping, etc. It may sound dumb but it totally works for helping build that muscle memory.
                        I understand your general concept (I have been going for rides around the block to practice actually) but what does "arsed" mean ? "Can't be a$$ed" ?

Not sure I completely follow your lingo.

Sean

Comment

...the business the PO had purchased. (A car washing business with self service bays.)
                          I haven't read the full thread yet, but the PO's name wasn't Walter White, was it? Looking forward to finding out...

Oh, and: a) Steve is a saint! b) Your restraint is an important part of this story. You'll know when to move up in speed. As has been said, faster is MUCH easier. The slow part is the hardest.
                          Last edited by mf70; 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM.
                          Mark Fisher
                          sigpic
                          ..............................27 years

Comment

Thanks for the narrative Sean, I enjoyed reading it. If you can find a large and fairly little-used parking lot somewhere (abandoned big-box store maybe), that would be a great stress-free zone that you could practice in without worries. It sounds like you could have got a smaller, newer bike for the same $$ but with the 850, now you know a whole lot about the maintenance and workings of the bike. Knowing you can fix things takes a lot of the worry away. You have a classic and cool ride that will last a long time if you treat it right. Be careful with easing into high-stress traffic riding.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Sean, love the story. This rings true of what most 1st timers run into...riding worries as well as used cycle maint issues. My 1st two cycles were CB750s only because of my fathers worry that a 750 was too big for him - he bought a CB550, but that bike served him well for many trouble free years. I've owned one 1100cc, but went back after a long hiatis to the '80 version of your bike. Yes, she's a tad on the heavy side and a little harder to navigate during slow speed, but she is stable and well powered...just keep taking your time and get used to each other, in the long run, you'll be happy with her.
                              Find some oem clutch springs if those are aftermarket/heavier, rebuild the brake cylinders, consider Salty Monks brake ugrade for better oem front braking, and "ride". The more time you put in the saddle, the easier things will feel.
                              BTW, you do know how to counter steer, right?!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                                ..Find some oem clutch springs if those are aftermarket/heavier, rebuild the brake cylinders, consider Salty Monks brake ugrade for better oem front braking, and "ride". The more time you put in the saddle, the easier things will feel.
                                BTW, you do know how to counter steer, right?!
                                Yep, I know how to counter steer, just need to practice everything more. The clutch springs were replaced already, brake cylinders cleaned up, and one left front side caliper piston and seal replaced to fix the previous leak....now my front master cylinder is leaking so I'm about to replace the front brake handle/caliper so I can ride again.

Hopefully this will be the last of the brake gremlins.

sean

Comment

Working...
                                X