Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS650 Owner. Wanting to Mod. but not sure what I need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS650 Owner. Wanting to Mod. but not sure what I need.

IMG_1882.jpgHere is a pic of my new old 1982 GS650L. Is is a GL?
    I was wondering what you guys suggest getting for a jet kit. I am just looking to do individual intakes and a 4 in to 1 exhaust or maybe the Mac 4 in to 2 turn out. Any light you can shed will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM.

Your best option on jetting is a Dynojet kit. Fiddling around with various jets will just get you frustrated and cause you to go back to stock. Seriously, the Dynojet kits are a known commodity that has proven to work. The part number is: 3310

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I just ordered the dynojet kit for my 82' GS650GL along with K&N pod filters. Im very interested to hear what you've got planned for your bike along with pictures throughout the process. Nice Bike!!!

Comment

Thanks guys! I will look in to the dynojet kit.
        Grass Ill keep you in the loop as long as you do to haha.

Comment

When you install the dynojet kit is there a lot of setting to be done? or is it just install and go.

Comment

Ive never installed a jet kit before. my carbs are in pieces right now. I dipped them and cleaned all the nooks and crannies because they were super clogged. But i do know that installing a dynojet kit is going to be a long and tedious process. there's all sorts of factors to take into consideration and no 2 bikes are the same. but on the other hand there is a lot of info especially on this site that can help you narrow your search. just search around, but make sure you start from the bottom before you go and start making modifications to the bike (actually clean the carbs, check valves and adjust if needed... that fun stuff) i will keep you in the loop for sure. Im also new to this but message me anytime if you have a question and ill try to answer to the best of my ability. Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Grassigrass View Post
              Ive never installed a jet kit before. my carbs are in pieces right now. I dipped them and cleaned all the nooks and crannies because they were super clogged. But i do know that installing a dynojet kit is going to be a long and tedious process. there's all sorts of factors to take into consideration and no 2 bikes are the same. but on the other hand there is a lot of info especially on this site that can help you narrow your search. just search around, but make sure you start from the bottom before you go and start making modifications to the bike (actually clean the carbs, check valves and adjust if needed... that fun stuff) i will keep you in the loop for sure. Im also new to this but message me anytime if you have a question and ill try to answer to the best of my ability. Welcome!
              You don't know what you're talking about. The Dynojet kits are VERY predictable. Stage I through III are very well defined. Pod filters with a 4-1 exhaust is stage III. No guess work.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Several replies later, nobody has answered your other question.
                  Originally posted by 82'GS650 View Post
                  Here is a pic of my new old 1982 GS650L. Is i[t] a GL?
                  Yes, it is a GL.

The clues:
                  Chrome fenders (front and rear)
                  Chrome headlight shell (and smaller light)
                  Leading-axle forks
                  Higher handlebars
                  Smaller, teardrop-shaped tank
                  Stepped seat
                  No bodywork covering the tail light
                  Shorter mufflers

Nice looking bike.

Comment

Ya I suppose a person could tinker and get it perfect. Im sure one would just have to adjust the blend bolts to get it to run. But ya I did some research and the stage three is the way to go. Thank you phydeauxmitt! Haha The sucker only has 8400 miles.
                    phydeauxmutt
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2016, 02:44 AM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the headers that are on the bike now are double walled. The 4 into 1 pipes have single walled headers and will discolor no matter what. Unless you get them ceramic coated on the inside. I installed the Mac 4 into 2 by cutting the pipes off, welding a sleeve on and installing the slip on Macs. I also had to pick up a reducer sleeve and some packing. There is a cover shield plate on your bike as well. I installed everything, figured out the placement of the nut assemblies, and spot welded them on. The original exhaust is dimpled to accommodate the rear axle nuts. The Mac cans are not dimpled but they sit about 1/4" from the axle nuts. The Mac cans that I bought have a sliding bracket and I had to modify the original mounting plate a bit. The sliding mounting bracket is important as it keeps everything rigidly in place. Nice looking bike you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        You don't know what you're talking about. The Dynojet kits are VERY predictable. Stage I through III are very well defined. Pod filters with a 4-1 exhaust is stage III. No guess work.
                        They may be predictable, but I know there's tinkering involved. The racer/builder who jetted mine on a dyno told me, "No two bikes are the same."

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.
                        I think it's so sad that many guys are riding bikes that are not totally dialed in, and that's not even their goal anymore. I'd find it hard to live with a bike that didn't pull all the way to redline without a stutter.

But I guess any bike is better than no bike.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Looking at the bike now, I see a lot to unbolt, cut down, replace and adjust, before I'd jet the carbs.

Unbolt: windshield, handle bars, front forks, seat, grab bar, rear shocks and signal lights.
                          Cut down: the high part of the seat and upholster it.
                          Replace: forks and front wheel with something that has dual discs. Sport handle bars, front springs, rear shocks, and signal lights.
                          Adjust: all the new stuff you've bolted on, and the carbs too.
                          After all that's done and you're used to it, replace the exhaust system and jet the carbs.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Bill when you say front springs they have a set that can get rid of the oil and air?

Comment

HA!!!!
                              Boy, you need to read a book.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X