Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS650 Owner. Wanting to Mod. but not sure what I need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Ill look in to that.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      You don't know what you're talking about. The Dynojet kits are VERY predictable. Stage I through III are very well defined. Pod filters with a 4-1 exhaust is stage III. No guess work.
      thats not what I was talking about.. I was referring to the actual jetting that needs to be tinkered with. If you go on dynojet's site; they only offer the stage 3 jet kit for the 82' GS650. But yes. Pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust would be a stage 3 even if dynojet offered the first 2 stages on their site.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 82'GS650 View Post
        Bill when you say front springs they have a set that can get rid of the oil and air?
        Can't quite get rid of either of them, but good springs will do most of the work. Your original springs have been compressed for well over 30 years, so will be a bit shorter than intended, meaning they are not as strong as when new. There are progressively-wound springs and straight-rate springs available. There is also air that is trapped when you close the top of the tube. No practical way to eliminate the trapped air, but there is also no need to add any additional air. Since the spring rate of compressed air is progressive, using progressively-wound springs adds to the overall rate in a manner that might be unpredictable. Using straight-rate springs minimizes this effect. The oil that is in the fork is for damping. Without oil, the wheel would keep bouncing when it hits a bump. It just controls the motion. A lighter-weight oil lets the wheel move a bit freer, while a heavier-weight oil makes it harder to move.

In very basic terms, the spring rate will control how MUCH the wheel moves, the oil viscosity will control how FAST.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          Can't quite get rid of either of them, but good springs will do most of the work. Your original springs have been compressed for well over 30 years, so will be a bit shorter than intended, meaning they are not as strong as when new. There are progressively-wound springs and straight-rate springs available. There is also air that is trapped when you close the top of the tube. No practical way to eliminate the trapped air, but there is also no need to add any additional air. Since the spring rate of compressed air is progressive, using progressively-wound springs adds to the overall rate in a manner that might be unpredictable. Using straight-rate springs minimizes this effect. The oil that is in the fork is for damping. Without oil, the wheel would keep bouncing when it hits a bump. It just controls the motion. A lighter-weight oil lets the wheel move a bit freer, while a heavier-weight oil makes it harder to move.

In very basic terms, the spring rate will control how MUCH the wheel moves, the oil viscosity will control how FAST.
          Oh thank you. I would have to break down the forks completely to replace the springs. The right oil seal is leaking so maybe thats a good idea to do.

Comment

Bill when you say front springs they have a set that can get rid of the oil and air?
            Welcome to the site. Don't worry about little billy-boy, he likes to talk a smart game...

You have a nice looking bike. The L's are my favorite of the GS bikes but some think they have to bad mouth the L, guess it makes them feel important. As for anything you might need help with information wise, I'll be happy to help.
            Keep in mind, I like mine stock and running PERFECTLY, likely better than they did new.

Again, welcome to the GSR

Comment

Oh thank you. I would have to break down the forks completely to replace the springs. The right oil seal is leaking so maybe thats a good idea to do.
              Probably, yes. Mine were done not long ago, the gunk that came out of my forks was an ugly smelly mess that resembled a neglected grease trap from a flat top grill in a fast food joint. The springs and seals could be original to the bike.

Sean

Comment

Thanks Dave I appreciate that. I get where you come from with the stock and running. I was just pondering the idea. I might just have the seals replaced on the forks and drive it in the mean time. She runs like a top as it is right now. Dont want to risk down time in the short summers here in North Dakota.

Comment

Ya Sean I am probably going to have the forks resealed and oil changed. Like you said they probably are original. Talked with a guy at the dealership and he says even the forks running with out any oil for a while that the springs are still good. So Ill just have them check them out and if bad replace.

Comment

Check them yourself, then replace them anyway with modern springs from Sonic.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Check them yourself, then replace them anyway with modern springs from Sonic.
                      Yes, they are bound to be tired. On my to do list,if I live long enough.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

IMG_1898.jpg
                        Went from these stock handle bars to.........

Comment

IMG_1904.jpg
                          To these smaller hanger. Also removed the windshield. Looks a lot better and also is more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X