Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet question, 85 1150, not sure what PO was going for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet question, 85 1150, not sure what PO was going for.

85 1150 with vance and hines 4-1, as well as pod filters. (All PO)

Manual jet specs:
    Main jet: #120
    Needle jet: X-5
    Pilot jet: #47.5
    Pilot air jet: #125

What's in my carbs per PO:
    Main jet: #102
    Needle jet: X-6 (says 318 X-6)
    Pilot jet: #40
    Pilot air jet: #180? I honestly can't tell what this one says on any of them

I'm not sure what PO was going for here. I'm a rookie, but this doesn't seem right for a re-jet. That being said, I DID have the bike running with this setup, but I didn't test/tune it at all.
    Looking for advice on where to go from here. It's not currently running so I was cleaning the carbs (I think it's a gas issue) when I checked all these and thought they may not be right. Should I try to get it running with these? I've seen suggestions to get a dynojet stage 3 kit, but I was under the impression you should get it running under stock conditions first.

Any help is appreciated.

Wife's bike has a Dyno-jet kit in it & K&N's, but the main jets are Mikuni 135, 45 or 47.5 pilots, can't remember,
    air/fuel 2.5ish turns out, needle on the middle slot, Yosh 4-1. Bike seems happy with this set up.

Sound like the PO was on some misguided mission.

I'm no carb whisperer, but the above set up has been working for many years.
    I would guess, even w/o the DJ tapered needles an increase of the main jet to at least 130 would be a reasonable starting point.
    2-3 cylinders run 122.5 stock.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I would not run that especially with a 102 main???
      Get the DJ-3133 jet kit and put the DJ138's in.

Note DJ sizes and Mikuni size vary by about 10.
      DJ is approx Mikuni + 10

Comment

Yeah when I checked everything I just couldn't imagine what caused them to use those, but I thought hey, maybe there was a reason I didn't see. This isn't a bike I've been riding, it's been a project.

Anyway, thanks much for the input!

Comment

Working...
        X