VM26SS Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26SS Carbs

I have searched the internet until my eyes have dried out and my finger tips bled, but I cannot find a diagram for the VM26SS carb. I have been trying to diagnose the issue, and I honestly am unsure if a pilot jet is used in the carbs, because I don't think I have one if so.

To where I am pointing is where I feel like a jet "should" be. Can anyone confirm this? Feel like an idiot for posting this, but I can't find a diagram anywhere!

Scroll the right side and see the VM rebuild tutorial..

Exploded view of the VM26 carbs

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Should be PILOT screws on those holes...heres a link to new ones.

And heres a link to a members website at which he sells the rebuild orings and intake manifold orings. 1 kit does all 4 carbs. No need to go buying anything other than some carb dip, carb spray, a oring kit, and follow the rebuild tutorial. Bench sync them and the bike will start right up and be ready for the vacuum gauges.

Get the Berrymans Crab and Parts Dip at Walmart in the automotive section.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The BIG jet in the center tower is the MAIN JET and the little one beside it is the PILOT JET.

Comment

Chuck, I can't believe you found that; I honestly think I went 8 Google pages deep looking for a diagram. I thought that was the pilot, but was unsure, honestly. The hole to which I am pointing, is anything used there? I went totally through the cleaning and rebuilding tutorial and let the carbs soak in Berryman's for about 48 hours. I got new main jets, and new pilot jets; I just figured that something should go in those holes to which I am pointing. I know that was a very confusing point I made, but nonetheless, I have the small jets beside the mains (which I believe you are saying are the pilots) totally screwed in which is clearly off if they are the pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post
            Chuck, I can't believe you found that; I honestly think I went 8 Google pages deep looking for a diagram. I thought that was the pilot, but was unsure, honestly. The hole to which I am pointing, is anything used there? I went totally through the cleaning and rebuilding tutorial and let the carbs soak in Berryman's for about 48 hours. I got new main jets, and new pilot jets; I just figured that something should go in those holes to which I am pointing. I know that was a very confusing point I made, but nonetheless, I have the small jets beside the mains (which I believe you are saying are the pilots) totally screwed in which is clearly off if they are the pilots.
            The pilot jet (bleeder) like the main jet, should be screwed all the way in. The pilot circuit is controlled by the screws you are missing.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

See post #3.......you are missing PILOT screws...NOT pilot JETS. Two different items with the word PILOT in them. See the fiche i posted. There are springs that go onn the screws as well.

Click on SUZUKI on the home page here and follow the prompts for all the different parts fiches for the bike you have.

Wholesale Pricing On OEM Parts For Suzuki, KTM, & Yamaha. Specializing in Suzuki & Yamaha Vintage Motorcycle Parts.

Comment

Ah, Chuck and John, I see. I missed that. I see now that I should have the pilot screws. Purchase made today and I will have her back on the road. I appreciate the input, and graciously appreciate the diagram. You guys, as always, are saviors.

Comment

Set the screws at around 7/8 of a turn out from GENTLY seated. by gently , we mean this..turn them in slowly and easily. When they want to stop turning DO NOT force them any further,, Make a witness mark on the rim of the hole inline with the slot and turn them out the 7/8. Conventional wisdom and findings here say the factory set them at approximately 3/4 turn out but they were a tad lean to satisfy the US EPA specs back then. At 7/8 your assured good fuel and less a chance of being too lean.

Comment

Alright, all. So as recommend I purchased these pilot screws from the link below, they came via USPS after two days, and I went to work. Unfortunately, when trying to make them work, they would not screw into my carbs. I tried two different screws on all 4 ports, but they did not screw in. Just to be sure, these are the screws that I'm referencing:

and the port in which I tried to screw them are the ports to which I'm pointing below. This shouldn't make sense, right? My carbs definitely seem to be VM26SS carbs that have been totally cleaned according to the step-by-step instructions on the forum. Any input or suggestions? Is the world just against me?
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it! These same screws are sold by both Z1 and SiriusSonic so I know that they are the correctly recommended screws. My carbs certainly seem to be the VM26SS, but the screws seem too long to fit. When I put it in, the screw stops before the threads are even able to catch, and when I look into the hole, it just seems too shallow. Love to get some feedback.

Comment

Mike, Are these carbs on your 550? The 550 should have VM22's. So did you buy a kit for your bike model or for the VM26's?

Just looked up the part you purchased from Z1 - sure says it fits! So if they are on your 550, maybe your carbs are VM22's.
                        Last edited by allojohn; 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Nope, they are on my 750 which is why I am so perplexed. I checked it against everything that I read for the VM26SS carbs, so I don't understand why they aren't fitting unless these carbs are not actually VM26SS. I tried two different screws in each of the holes. Unless I am stupid, referring back to my original picture of the inner aspect of the carb bowls, I am trying to put the pilot screws into the holes to which I'm pointing. I don't understand!

Comment

Can you see through the hole where you're trying to fit the screws ? Typically the tips of those screws are broken off by a PO.
                            You may have a carb set with a full complement of screw tips stuck in place....

Comment

Yes I took a flashlight and looked in each one, and it is clean through and through. Just looks like a shallow hole into which these needles will not go. If my needles are, let's say about 1.25" long, the hole seems to be about 1" - just enough to fit my needle tip in to the threads, but not deep enough for the threads to catch. Honestly, when looking in there, there doesn't even seem to be ability for the threads to take hold.

This may not be very helpful at all, but I want to provide the best information that I can, obviously. But this is the inside of the pilot screw hole. Doesn't seem like there is anywhere to catch the threads, and just seems very shallow.

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2016, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X