G tank on my L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G tank on my L

I don't care for the L style tank (the look and the capacity) so I put the larger tank from the 850G parts bike I had on it along with the forks and triple clamp. It was in really rough shape especially on th outside. So I stripped all the paint and sanded down the rust spots, clear coated it and called it good. The bike looks funky right now but I'm headed in the right direction. Soon I'll shave down the seat as well like in this post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...fore-and-after

and before tkent comes around, can't afford to sell me FREE L for another bike. Just a lowly grad student at the moment (just poking fun)

Aside from the color difference with the side covers it looks good. And thanks for finding that seat shaving thread. Think I'm gonna do that with mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
      Aside from the color difference with the side covers it looks good. And thanks for finding that seat shaving thread. Think I'm gonna do that with mine too.
      True. Wife said the same thing. Eventually I'll find some paint to match but they need fixing anyway. Both sides are cracked /:

Comment

You are on the correct path. Continue.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is that a voltmeter on the speedo? Tasty mounting.

Were any structural mods necessary?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            love it. Thanks!

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            Is that a voltmeter on the speedo? Tasty mounting. Were any structural mods necessary?
            No, it's my oil temp gauge. I need to fix it, I know. Currently mounted with electrical tape. I'm so used to operating rigs with 20 gauges and I was bothered that I didn't have some sort of temp gauge.

And yes I had to change some mounts on it. The forward tank mounts on the G are farther forward and narrower than the L so I cut off the L mounts (which made me anxious) and fabbed up some mounts through the spot where the G mounts would have been. I also removed the rubber pad in the back and put in a shorter one. No going back at this point without a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I'm wondering if tkent"s profile got hacked...poster is complimenting "L"s!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                I'm wondering if tkent"s profile got hacked...poster is complimenting "L"s!
                Ha! I must have earned his favor somehow...

Comment

Every situation is retrievable...........................
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I recently found out a 80' 1100E tank fits nicely on my 850G. When it's on the 850 it looks so small now. The 850 tank is a fatty for sure.
                    Going from your L tank the the G tank really beefs it up.
                    That's the nice thing about these bikes.....unless it's a real nice stock bike (which 75% aren't anymore) it's fun and cheap to make them your own.
                    Evert one of us could go buy a 5 year old bike that needs nothing for cheap that looks like new.....for some reason we are the kind of guys that like resurrecting the dead. I think it satisfies a creative need that's within us.
                    Anyways, I like the bike. Once you change he seat its gonna look more like a T than an L. Lol
                    Looks good. Big tank, lots of miles in there.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      ]The 850 tank is a fatty for sure.
                      Going from your L tank the the G tank really beefs it up.
                      That's the nice thing about these bikes.....unless it's a real nice stock bike (which 75% aren't anymore) it's fun and cheap to make them your own.
                      Evert one of us could go buy a 5 year old bike that needs nothing for cheap that looks like new.....for some reason we are the kind of guys that like resurrecting the dead. I think it satisfies a creative need that's within us.
                      Thanks, I dead on agree with you. I would be pretty slow modding a new bike like I have to this one grinding and drilling but it's been fun. Plus the increased fuel capacity and consequent range is always welcomed.

I can't wait to see your 850 finished. The paint job is sweet. I hope you post some pictures for all of us!

Comment

Originally posted by raygun View Post
                        Thanks, I dead on agree with you. I would be pretty slow modding a new bike like I have to this one grinding and drilling but it's been fun. Plus the increased fuel capacity and consequent range is always welcomed.

I can't wait to see your 850 finished. The paint job is sweet. I hope you post some pictures for all of us!
                        I will soon Raygun.....I'm going to fire it up for the first time this weekend sometime.
                        Still have to 2k clearcoat the tank, cap off or find a fuel sending unit and finish the seat.And a variety of other small tidbits. I'm close.

Comment

I don't care for the L style tank (the look and the capacity) so I put the larger tank from the 850G parts bike I had on it along with the forks and triple clamp. It was in really rough shape especially on th outside. So I stripped all the paint and sanded down the rust spots, clear coated it and called it good. The bike looks funky right now but I'm headed in the right direction. Soon I'll shave down the seat as well like in this post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...fore-and-after

and before tkent comes around, can't afford to sell me FREE L for another bike. Just a lowly grad student at the moment (just poking fun)

Like………(is this Facebook?)
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

True. Wife said the same thing. Eventually I'll find some paint to match but they need fixing anyway. Both sides are cracked /:
                            with that nice looking tank you might try beating out custom frame covers that extend over where the chrome airbox cover is as well. Polish and clear coat them to match up with your tank and you'd have a thing of beauty.

Comment

That worked surprisingly well...
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X