82 GS650 running like a dog - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I purchased an 82 GS650 a couple years ago and the thing is in excellent shape! When I bought it, it needed a new battery and the guy said that he couldn't start it because the carbs must have gummed up again after he had just cleaned them the year before. I know I should really take them off and clean them.

I was able to get it started fairly easily with new non-oxygenated gas. And I did find that the very left carb had a needle that was sticking on the bottom side but I was able to get it unstuck and moving just fine just by dropping the bowl and fiddling with the needle very carefully.

Here's where I'm at though: The bikes starts fine with half choke (when cold) and will rev up like it should as it warms up. But to take off, I need to have either more choke or hit higher rpms before taking off in 1st. And as the bike warms up, you don't need the choke as much. But as I move up in gears, the more choke I need - to the point where 4th needs choke completely on and riding on flat or declining roads in order to maintain or gain speed but never can make it past 55-60. Just runs like a dog.. Also I noticed that while accelerating the bike lurches a little, I mean not very noticeably but it does.

Any thoughts as to what I may need to do? Does it sound like just carbs or more work to be done?

Hi and welcome to the GS forum,

Click the link below...
    READ ME!

That READ ME page points to my little website and should have some useful information for you. In addition to clean carbs (really clean carbs, not just spritzed with a can of carb cleaner), you'll need properly adjusted valves and a healthy charging system. I've collected 'how to' guides and other information on my website. The link is in my sig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Kfrizzle View Post
      I know I should really take them off and clean them.

Any thoughts as to what I may need to do? Does it sound like just carbs or more work to be done?
      I think you answered your own question time to strip dip and clean (your lucky you can get dip, we cannot)
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

"But as I move up in gears, the more choke I need - to the point where 4th needs choke completely on and riding on flat or declining roads in order to maintain or gain speed but never can make it past 55-60. Just runs like a dog.. Also I noticed that while accelerating the bike lurches a little, I mean not very noticeably but it does. "

I needed a beer after reading this description! Head to Basscliff's link, cuz your carbs (and likely other stuff) are calling for help.
        Understand that having/ maintaining a 34 yearold motorcycle ain't for everyone, so decide now whether you are willing and able.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Fella, the answer is fairly simple. The enrichener circuit (aka choke) is adding gas that the bike can't get through the jets; mostly likely the pilot jets by the sound of it. Buy new jets; BUT the real answer is to strip and clean the carburetors and blow out the passageways and then install new jets... full kits would like be a good idea. That will most likely cure your ills.

Comment

I'm not going to pile on with the carb cleaning advice...it needs to be done.

Just dropping in to say hello to yet another 650 owner.

Someone must have left the gate open down at the 650 farm, as there are a tonne of them appearing of late.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              I'm not going to pile on with the carb cleaning advice...it needs to be done.

Just dropping in to say hello to yet another 650 owner.

Someone must have left the gate open down at the 650 farm, as there are a tonne of them appearing of late.
              They're breeding! I wouldn't buy new jets. Just clean'm
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                ...Buy new jets; BUT the real answer is to strip and clean the carburetors and blow out the passageways and then install new jets... full kits would like be a good idea. That will most likely cure your ills.
                Yep, strip, dip, and thoroughly clean the carbs. No need for new jets. Just remove and clean the ones in it.

Comment

Well, I finally got the carbs cleaned and back together. Like many said, no need to buy new jets or anything. Just stripped, cleaned, and re-synced. Thanks guys! She's running like a dream now

Comment

Hooray! Thanks for reporting in- it might inspire others!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will be willing to bet that if you adjust the valves, too, it will run that much better.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jusedses, do it all it's just routine maintenance.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfrizzle View Post
                          OK, would someone please tell me, ... exactly what is wrong with "running like a dog"?

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                            OK, would someone please tell me, ... exactly what is wrong with "running like a dog"?
                            It's less a problem of running like a dog and more of a problem of running like a dog carrying a jockey.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                              I guess it all depends on what kind of dog it's running like. Bassist Hounds don't look like they have a smooth ride.

Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X