Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS850G clutch pull so hard! Aftermaket Clutch plates to thick maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850G clutch pull so hard! Aftermaket Clutch plates to thick maybe?

My clutch on my daily ride collector bike has always been a hard pull, bad pump arm! But it got way worse after I put in a new clutch, I wound up using Suzuki fibers, and Barnet or KG plates. Pretty sure I used Suzuki springs? Anyway I also installed new needle bearings and seals for the clutch arm shaft. My cable is good, and the arm is at a perfect 90* when pulled in, and my cable is adjusted correctly, yet its so hard to pull in!

My parts bike is a synch to pull in mind you its clutch is slipping.

All I can think of is they gave me the wrong springs, or my clutch stack height is way to much, and making it a hard pull? I am more then willing to fork out 500.00 for a hydraulic clutch if it will help? I wake up in the middle of the night in pain from my left hand Its the hardest clutch to pull in!!! For 11.99 I'll Order a new cable and try it.. but I'm not hopeful that it will help! Its so hard to push in on the arm even with no cable, I've pushed the lever in with not that much effort on most bikes.

I'm tempted to through the kg plates in the trash and order Suzuki ones, then reuse my old springs, or go half new, half old.

If your sure that everything's been assembled correctly then the springs could well be wrong, just recently I needed new springs the Suzuki ones where £30 uk so I got some heavy duty EBC springs £13 and installed them (mistake) the clutch pull was far far to heavy, the EBC are the same length but .005 bigger on the diameter and what a difference, so today I have just received a set of new standard springs and they will be fitted today.
    I your in the uk you could buy my EBC ones
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

We tried to aftermarket springs in my bike, and the same problem. The spring tension is so stiff we ended up going to the originals. If you can still get them I'd go with new Suzuki springs, and why you are it change the bolts that hold the springs over to new hi-tensile replacements.

Comment

Yeah, the 850 should be a feather pull. Lose the aftermarket junk, especially the plates before it chews into your clutch basket and you find out what a really tough lever feels like.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As said in my other post I have fitted the new Suzuki standard springs from Robinsons foundry and just been for a 50 mile jaunt clutch works great and it's nice and light on the lever.
          anyone want to buy some EBC heavy duty clutch springs
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

Working...
          X