Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New handle bars. What you think!? Open to suggestions for the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New handle bars. What you think!? Open to suggestions for the future.

IMG_1904.jpg
    Installed these smaller ape hangers last night. Removed a large windshield to. I think it looks a lot cleaner and is more comfortable on the wrists than the stock bars.
    Do any of you guys any other suggestions?
    I got a pan seat from the friend that gave me those bars. I want to install that next.

Looks out of control just sitting there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have never seen the sense in ape-hangers. I rode a motorcycle with them for about 30 minutes once. ONCE. That was all I could stand.

Having said that, if you like them, then ride with them.

Comment

They are not that outlandish for me. I'm a little taller and they are still well below my shoulders, so they are still comfy. But ya most of them are way out there.

Haha Kent she is completely in control.

Comment

Right. .

Comment

If you are comfortable riding and cornering, Be Happy! If you can ride 3 hours without thinking about muscles or "maybe I should try different handlebars" you are pretty close to what's right for you.

Comment

I'm shocked you managed to get all the cables and wires to extend that far. You're bike's an 'L' model, we usually go with lower bars on those bikes not taller ones, but to each their own. If you're going to start cutting and bashing the bike I'm sure some people would appreciate an opportunity to purchase/trade the stock parts before you ruin them.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

These little 4 cylinders are a real hoot to ride with standard bars on them... The apes on that bike with it's Standard geometry must be a bit odd too ride...

But hey it's your bike, looks like nice specimen minus the bars hope it doesn't fall victim to a sawzall
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

With those mini ape's your chest is straight up, perpendicular to the wind. At speed your chest acts like a sail, trying to blow you off the bike, and you need to counter that by holding tight with your hands and arms which causes fatigue. A lot of naked bike riders find a set of lower bars more comfortable for actual riding at speed; with your back tilted slightly into the wind the wind hitting your chest helps balance your torso weight and take weight off your hands and arms. This riding position is slightly more uncomfortable when riding in stop and go traffic though so if you are profiling and bar hopping, those ape's may be a better choice.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    With those mini ape's your chest is straight up, perpendicular to the wind. At speed your chest acts like a sail, trying to blow you off the bike, and you need to counter that by holding tight with your hands and arms which causes fatigue. A lot of naked bike riders find a set of lower bars more comfortable for actual riding at speed; with your back tilted slightly into the wind the wind hitting your chest helps balance your torso weight and take weight off your hands and arms. This riding position is slightly more uncomfortable when riding in stop and go traffic though so if you are profiling and bar hopping, those ape's may be a better choice.
                    It's funny, today I was driving home on the freeway and there was a guy on a twin with big ape hangers. He was on the off ramp and was standing upright on his pegs to relieve the exact type of fatigue we are describing.

Comment

Not on an L. I took my stock bars off and with an arbor press and wood blocks bent them forward 5 degrees each to aleviate the wrist angle.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

It looks nice. I am 6'4". I like to keep my shoulders lower. I have to have a small wind shield to keep the wind off my chest. My CX500C had a 1978 handle bar install be me. That one was on a four cylinder 750. That brought my arms down and forward. I am working on my GS850L 1983 that I bought last month. 200.oo dollars. Hope to have it on the road soon. I did get the engine to fire up.
                        Have fun with yours.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Ya I road today for about 3 hours. Around town and on the highway going about 55 to 65 mph. I didn't really feel any fatigue just in my legs more than anything. They cramp up from time to time when starting from a stop. I see what your saying with the wind hitting the chest. I may put the windshield back on but cut it down some. I was surprised to that the cables went that far but its almost perfect. The clutch and throttle cable feel the same as stock. I am going to hold on to the stock parts and sell them with the bike if and I mean if that day comes. It may or may not see the saw this winter. I am not to sure what I want to do next. I ordered some smaller turn signals, and removed that chrome handle from the seat as well. I have a seat that my friend gave me. It almost looks like it is off a harley pan head. Might get rid of the 2 person seat and just install that one. But that to might be a winter project. Dont want to sacrifice the ride time in these short summers here. I was also thinking about removing the front fender. What do you guys think about those to changes?
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2016, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah, cut it up!!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              If you're going to start cutting and bashing the bike I'm sure some people would appreciate an opportunity to purchase/trade the stock parts before you ruin them.

What he said.
                              Alan

sigpic
                              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                              X