77 GS 750 Carb Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS 750 Carb Work

Have a nice 77 GS750 Has the old mikuni non cv carbs cleaned them rejetted start's good but run's like it's running on 3 cylinders looking for a good rebuilder previous owner has monkey with them run's okay after 50 miles trip but still feel something amiss any body recommend a good rebuilder I am in Washington State

Thanks JB

Originally posted by ROTAG999 View Post
    Have a nice 77 GS750 Has the old mikuni non cv carbs cleaned them rejetted

The best person for the job is going to be you, no one you pay will give a damn except to take your money. Bike shops are there to sell new bikes, not prolong the life of old ones. For them to go through everything that an old bike needs to have done would cost many times what the bike is worth, technicians are not trained in most of the old technology anyway.
    I have heard there are old farts that still do this stuff for a living but I haven't ever met one.

The cleaning and rejetting you did would be the first thing I would suspect.

How did you clean them, and exactly why did you rejet? What jets did you use? Where did you set the floats? Have you checked the fuel level? Is the cylinder that's not running getting fuel? Does it even have a decent spark? Is it always the same cylinder? Are the points set properly? Ignition timing? Cam timing? Are the valve clearances set correctly? Does it have any compression? Is the dead cylinder #3 or one of the others? Does the petcock work properly? How about a little history? Did it ever run correctly since you had it? How much fuel does it use? What intake and exhaust systems are you using?

Etc, etc, etc.

It's hard to tell from here, but if you put it in the carburetion forum or the four cylinder engine forum you will get more responses.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I rebuild them and CVs and he is the best rebuilder if he wishes to do so. Heres some links for him.

Save this for future use and for the 8 VALVE 750 service manual.

Your carb rebuild guide...

And the oring kit from our very own member robertbarr. 1 kit does the entire rack. Be sure to get the intake orings on page also. Measure the inside diameter of the groove and get that size orings.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-20-2016, 08:07 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X