• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and after....

1 - 8.jpg

Comment

1 - 5.jpg

The bag was junk, so I sewed a tool roll... I'll take a picture of that tomorrow. I'm curious to see other people's original tools. Post pictures of your tools for us all to see!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzelindevils View Post
        and after....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46189[/ATTACH]
        Somehow you have made a 36 year old motorcycle tool make me drool.
        Great thread and good job on getting your bike up to par. It's always good to see a new GS owner tackling maintenance issues themselves .
        Cycleorings.com is a page owned by a member here. O-ring kits, stainless carb fasteners and intake of rings for sale at a good price. Just FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
          Somehow you have made a 36 year old motorcycle tool make me drool.
          Great thread and good job on getting your bike up to par. It's always good to see a new GS owner tackling maintenance issues themselves .
          Cycleorings.com is a page owned by a member here. O-ring kits, stainless carb fasteners and intake of rings for sale at a good price. Just FYI.
          I was surprised how well they cleaned up! Thanks for the lead on Cycleorings... I'll keep that in mind for the future. Have many more tasks to-do, so I'm sure that site will come in handy.

Comment

Getting back into the rear caliper today. The back piston closest to the tire isn't going back into its bore all the way and its causing my rear tire to be fairly locked up. Going to sonic clean and replace all of the seals... hopefully another careful run-through will solve this problem. If anyone has any tips please share!

I'll let you all know how it goes, and share some more process pics.

Comment

Okay I'm back.... Life has been crazy busy lately and a lot has happened since I last posted. My boyfriend Rus, who I mentioned in this thread, and I just got back from a cross-country trip that we took on our '84 GoldWing. We went from Rhode Island across the midwest through corn fields, down into the dust-bowl of Kansas, up through the Rockies, and back across the mid-west. Was a fun trip and we both learned a lot about long distance hauls.

I have this fantasy about touring all over with my Suzuki... it has been done!

Anyways, back to the brake rebuild. Here is what I ended up doing...

1. Bought a brake caliper rebuild kit including new seals
              2. Sonically cleaned the caliper and replaced the seals
              3. Went for a ride
              4. Realized my brakes were dragging, tremendously
              5. Here we go again...
              6. Replaced the old brake lines with one single stainless steal line
              7. Optimistically went for a ride towards South County of RI
              8. Brakes still dragging... didn't want to believe it
              9. Back to square one...

After I realized my brakes were still dragging after doing all of the rebuilding, I put my bike in the garage for a couple of weeks while we prepped for our cross-country journey. After returning I had so much desire to be riding my bike, so I started contemplating all the various reasons why my rear brakes would still be dragging.

I settled on the master cylinder needing a rebuild. I purchased a kit off of eBay, pulled off the mc, sonically cleaned it. I also sonically cleaned the reservoir and the brake line leading from the reservoir to the mc. Put it all back together with brandy new insides, and low and behold.... the brake still dragged. Yup, still... I was frustrated and started thinking the worst. Would I need to replace the caliper? Was the master cylinder faulty? What could it be!?

It wasn't until yesterday when Rus said "Let's bleed the brakes again, maybe its just air in the lines..." that I started getting more optimistic. Maybe it was a simple solution after all. Last night I sat down and pulled out my handy dandy manual, and started going through the brake drag troubleshooting section. The first item on the list was proper pedal adjustment. I was quick to assume that wasn't the issue, but put it on the top of my list. I noticed something though... the picture showing the adjustment screw looked much different from my bike. The screw was just barely touching the metal bracket (as it should be), but on my bike the screw was jacked up pretty high... Okay, did I just solve it!? I adjusted the screw so that it was just touching the bracket with no free play, as per the manual's instructions. Took Mooney for a test ride, and seriously.... the brake isn't dragging anymore!!

Hahaha... Turns out it was an rfm problem all along.... I almost can't believe that that was the problem, but the thing is, that a improperly adjusted pedal will keep too much pressure in the system not allowing fluid back into the mc, and only allowing fluid into the caliper, creating more and more drag as the brake is applied. Well, on one hand, I may have spent money unnecessarily, but in reality I now have all of this new stuff which is only going to be a good thing. I hope that this will help someone who is having rear brake problems.... you may have a bigger problem, but check the peddle adjustment first. It could be a very quick (and free!) fix.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. It reminds me so much of myself 20-30 years ago..trial and error, learning, enjoying the fruits of your labor as it starts coming together. Enjoy your bike, you deserve it..and it deserves you.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I do that a lot...I end up take everything apart buying new parts I didn't need and find the problem was something that just needed adjustment...

yesterday I had an issue with my clutch, it wouldn't snap back to it's original position, the result was lots of erratic shifting...tonight I disconnected the clutch cable at both ends, looked inside the clutch itself (working like it should), went through the cable adjustment from one end to the other, took off the clutch lever and put that back, lubed the cable and it still wouldn't snap back I had to push back into position...I was stumped ...

I thought it through for a bit then and loosened the nut on the clutch lever a half turn and tried again ....I had missed the simplest solution, doh!...felt like an idiot but now I know more than I did before...the good part is we learn everything inside out and backwards and the rebuilt sections are like new...failure is our best teacher...
                  1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                    I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. It reminds me so much of myself 20-30 years ago..trial and error, learning, enjoying the fruits of your labor as it starts coming together. Enjoy your bike, you deserve it..and it deserves you.
                    Thank you so much! I hope that sharing my story will help others get their bike on the road. I've actually really enjoyed bringing the bike back to life... being free out on the open road feels so awesome after putting all this work into it.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                      I do that a lot...I end up take everything apart buying new parts I didn't need and find the problem was something that just needed adjustment...

...failure is our best teacher...
                      Absolutely! You said it there...

Comment

Working...
                      X