GS300ld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300ld

Hello all. I have a 1983 GS300LD I'm converting into a Bobber for a customer. I was looking for information on the Horsepower and ft lbs of trq for this bike and can't find anything on the web. Can someone let me know the specs for bike. Before I got it in my hands someone through the bikes history cannibalized the wiring taking out the fusible link and hard wiring it,, subsequently frying wiring in various places in the system. Most of the damage was in the main cluster in the headlight pod. The connections were so badly melted together it took some doing with a rotary tool to carve way the plastic connectors to save the little brass connections so we wouldn't lose track of what went where. It's been a nightmare ever since rewiring the entire bike and for those of us who have gone down that road you know how miserable it can be trying to find out who did what where and how to correct it. Because we are transforming this bike into a bobber we are hiding the wiring to the best of our ability as we get each system working. I'm not at the stage yet of firing the bike but have spark, so that's a good sign lol... This bobber is going to be this young lads first street bike and because he's small and so is the bike I thought it would be a great start for him to learn how to ride and not to much power to handle. Hence the question about HP and ft lbs of torque the 300 makes. If anyone has suggestions about things to be aware of in the wiring system by all means give me a heads up. Thanks for any and all input., 35 Chevy Steve.

According to rumour and legend the 300 puts out about 30 hp. The 250cc version put out 29 and the 300 was lower compression with the same 29mm carbs. Or something like that. The torque figures aren't really important, but you could back calculate an approximation. I'm going to guess something like 24 ft lbs at 8500 rpm. These motors are revvers and come alive over 6,000 rpm. They max out at about 10k but will rev beyond that without grenading, but there's not much point.

There shouldn't be much difference in the wiring diagram between a GSX250 and this model except maybe a side stand safety switch; the ignition module is possibly the new style electrical advance rather than the mechanical but otherwise it's pretty much the same old GS plot with variations depending upon markets and accessories.

With a light pilot on a light bike, the power should be plenty adequate for legal sorts of escapades; I'd expect the top speed to be about 85 mph with nice cruising at 60. The stroke is so short - 44mm.? - on these overbuilt motors that high rpm just isn't something to be avoided.

If it were my bike I'd consider just buying a used harness from a similar year 450 twin. Usually about $30 on Ebay and most everything should just plug in the same. It might be a shade long but that's better than too short.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I got some info on it after posting. The rewiring is being done a system at a time. So far so good but a slow process using a continuity test and a test light to work our way through one wire after another. We are isolating the systems at the switches finding out which power in works which power out and then getting that system working front to back. We've been able to get rid of a lot of the factory wiring that they spool out and running front to back and then back again. It was the easiest way to eliminate problem wires. The lights, brake lights, horn, and head and tail, are done, the starter, ignition, spark all working. We still have the shift lights, neutral safety switch and clutch wires to get sorted out. Were putting in spade fusible links for left and right side of the bike and main fusible link going to the ignition. It's a pain but has to be done and this way I think is the best in the long run. Any other help by all means let me know. I appreciate the input and insight. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X