Pods threads never get old, do they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods threads never get old, do they?

I'm frightfully new to all this. I have an 83 GS1100GL which hasn't ran in a decade and I've never worked on a bike before. So my knowledge base is learning as I go basically.

My point posting here is to ask if my logic is solid or deeply flawed. That's it basically. So, I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and was cleaning the airbox while awaiting more $$$ to continue carb work. This got me thinking about pods. I've read about 20 threads about this debate many have had before me. My main concern is keeping cost down and getting this baby running. But who doesn't love better performance? So after reading up, I'm thinking no on the pods for the simple fact that I don't even know why the bike isn't running, much less how she'll run, once I get there. So why complicate things even more? Get her running and running well. If I continue to play with the idea of pods or any other mods, then pursue that.

However, saying as how the airbox is off and carbs are currently disassembled, I can't shake the temptation in the back of my head. So please let me know if I'm being a smart, cautious newbie by deciding to stay stock or if I'm being overcautious and should more seriously consider going to the dark side. Thanks in advance as always and thanks for the conversations that have already been had here. This forum is my #1 resource in learning to do things properly and I am deeply in many of your debt, without most of you even knowing it. And have a great day!!

Stay stock until you get a baseline for how the bike runs then worry about changing it. You'll have a lot of work once you switch so you're better off waiting until everything is running right first.

As far as the carbs, you'll need about $50 or so to buy the orings from Robert Barr and new bowl gaskets.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you want to keep it cheap then don't change stuff like that. You may need other stuff, stator,coils, igniter, shocks? You won't know until you start on it. Good luck and hide any large hammers you may have laying around.

Comment

I am also a newbie, and also the cause of yet another thread about carburetor issues, running concurrently.
        So I'm no expert, but I'm way farther down that rabbit hole than you are right now or so it seems.
        You are smart to pose the cost/benefit question. The bike I'm working on had been slightly, and most sort of ham-fistedly modified by the Distinguished Previous Owner (here to fore known as the DPO). The mufflers were drilled, and the stock airbox was modified crudely to pass more air (perhaps) and then removed in favor of cheapo pods. Since parts for the air-box system are expensive, and that thing takes up the whole middle frame space, and since the owner of my bike wanted to go towards cafe racer style and away from the swoopy disco bell-bottom pants 80's style of the bike (a GL---doesn't look like that now), I willingly binned the stock air system (actually going to sell the viable bits on eBay) and put on K&N's.
        Performance issues ensued with the installation of a jet kit. This began my quest for solutions, and this forum, later rather than sooner.
        I'll say that you can buy all the parts in a jet kit, no matter who makes it, for about 1/2 the cost of the kit. What you are buying is instructions, and an educated guess (you hope) on the stuff you'll need, they make the choices and package it so you can easily figure out what to do. That's actually worth a lot. You can learn it here, and elsewhere, and if your time's cheap its worth it. There's a chance the parts you get aren't what you need, and then your searching for answers.
        So, if I were you, I'd leave things alone if your stock system is in leak free shape, and you are keeping the overall appearance relatively stock. The bikes run quite well stock, and it would be way easier to tune it to stock specs. Tuning to mods is a trial and error experience, and seems I'm just getting warmed up. I'm committed on this path, so I'm choosing to be patient and a good listener.
        Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.
        Cheers.
        PS - budget to replace the intake tubes and o-rings. The black plastic/metal tubes that connect the carbs to the cylinder head. It's a safe bet they are cracked and leaking, and good running tune is impossible in that condition. There is no shade tree remedy either. New ones run $130-40ish for all four. Get new screws with Allen heads while you're at it. I may not know much, but I do know this.
        Read the Newbie Mistakes post. Take heed. So far everything that's been written there has been the case, for me.
        Doug
        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanthius View Post
          I'm frightfully new to all this. I have an 83 GS1100GL which hasn't ran in a decade and I've never worked on a bike before. So my knowledge base is learning as I go basically.

My point posting here is to ask if my logic is solid or deeply flawed. That's it basically. So, I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and was cleaning the airbox while awaiting more $$$ to continue carb work. This got me thinking about pods. I've read about 20 threads about this debate many have had before me. My main concern is keeping cost down and getting this baby running. But who doesn't love better performance? So after reading up, I'm thinking no on the pods for the simple fact that I don't even know why the bike isn't running, much less how she'll run, once I get there. So why complicate things even more? Get her running and running well. If I continue to play with the idea of pods or any other mods, then pursue that.

However, saying as how the airbox is off and carbs are currently disassembled, I can't shake the temptation in the back of my head. So please let me know if I'm being a smart, cautious newbie by deciding to stay stock or if I'm being overcautious and should more seriously consider going to the dark side. Thanks in advance as always and thanks for the conversations that have already been had here. This forum is my #1 resource in learning to do things properly and I am deeply in many of your debt, without most of you even knowing it. And have a great day!!
          This is often the source of the debate. Pods give virtually NO increase in performance and often have the opposite effect whilst trying to re-engineer the entire range of air-fuel mixtures. If you have the stock airbox, I'd make sure it was well-sealed, get a stock filter element, and spend your money elsewhere. There's no end to the things your 33 year old machine will need.....

Comment

Pods are great in certain applications.

Street use is not one of them.

It's best to have your bike making the right power at the right RPM at the right throttle setting -

Now, if you are going to be riding at the upper end of your RPM range at full throttle att the time, yes, pods can give you more power.

But they (and everything that comes with them) generally take it from everywhere else in the powerband.

And when it comes to resale, stay stock.

Here is a decent application for pods -

Comment

Ive got pods on mine because it came that way when I bought it. With the Dynojet kit and a little fine tuning it seems to run ok. If it would have came with the stock box, I would've put a good filter in it and used it that way. I can tell you that I think under part throttle cruising, I think I hear more noise from the carburetors than I do the exhaust... which is another good reason to use the stock box if you have it.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                Pods give virtually NO increase in performance and often have the opposite effect whilst trying to re-engineer the entire range of air-fuel mixtures.
                Originally posted by BoCoMoMann View Post
                Pods are great in certain applications.

Street use is not one of them.
                Bullsh!t. A four stroke engine is nothing but an air pump. Pods allow more air to flow, which means more power. Why do you think you have to increase jet sizes when you switch over to pods? Because it is flowing more air. When combined with a decent exhaust system pods make significantly more power than stock and they don't have to make the bike run like crap while doing it. My 82 1100E starts, idles and runs as well as stock while being significantly stronger. Just because lots of people are no good at jetting and refuse to follow simple directions and procedures doesn't make pod filters a bad idea. For those of us who can jet a bike they are a great thing.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

As others have said, if the bike is not currently running then get it running in stock form. Once you have it sorted out, then you can experiment with pods and exhaust. It will give you a better appreciation of performance improvements along with a baseline to make your adjustments from. Too many bikes end up as a "basket case" just for this reason. The GS1100GL is very easy to work on with the stock airbox. Carbs can be taken off and back on with the stock airbox within 10 minutes.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I am happy my judgement is mostly agreed upon by the vastly more knowledgable folks here. I apologize for taking people's time asking a question I basically already knew the answer to but sometimes a little reaffirmation is exactly what's needed when not 100% certain.

And thank you for the additional advice upb4dawn. I will definitely be buying o rings from the link provided elsewhere and intake tubes are an absolute must as mine basically disintegrated when I removed the carbs. I actually looked up to verify that they were in fact rubber as they were so brittle and ruined, I couldn't tell. Lol.

I feel like a broken record but thank you again all. Promises don't mean a whole lot but I assure those that are involved in such things that I will be adding site supporter to my name once I stop putting all my spare money into this project. This site and you all are truly invaluable.

Comment

Working...
                    X