Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS750T running good, but I'm skeptical.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750T running good, but I'm skeptical.

Tried looking around for info on this subject but couldn't find exactly what I needed to know. If anyone know of a thread matching this topic, please direct me to it!

So, I put some pods on my bike recently, wasted about a month of riding time trying different jetting and whatnot, finally gave up and went back to the factory jet sizing and air box. The bike is running just as good as originally, maybe even better.

The mixture screw adjustments I made are what make me skeptical. Being that I have CV carbs, the mixtures screws should be in sync with each other or at least pretty darn close, right? That's what I've been told by almosy everyone and read from multiple sights with instructions on tuning them. That wasn't working for me so I started to experimenting with the mixture screws a bit.

The problem I was having was that I could get it running great with them all in sync same amount of turns out (1-1/2 turns I believe). So I get it running good, ride a mile or so down the road and pull my plugs to double check how rich/lean I am. Two middle cyclinders, 2 and 3, plugs looked exactly how they should. Two outside cylinders, 1 and 4, white as could be. So I started richening up the mixture screws on just cylinder 1 and 4 til the plugs looked how they should and the bike still manages to run perfect. And it was no small change. Cylinder 1 is backed out as far as it can go. Cylinder 4 is about a half turn away from being fully backed out (i forgot to write down where they all were before going inside and forgot exactly now). Any ideas why cyclinder 1 and 4 are running so lean and different than the other two?
    And how can the mixture screw tuning be "right" (although it's running great and plugs look good) even though I know it's "technically" wrong?

Also, another question maybe tied in with the first but I kind of doubt it. The first cylinder as I recieved the bike was tuned down. Main jet was 1 size below factory (110 from a 112.5) andd the main air jet on the intake end of the carb was also 1 size smaller than factory (750 from a 760 and still has the smaller jet because I didn't have the right size one). This was only in the first cylinder. Can anyone guess why that might have been done?

I appreciate any help and info!

Im certainly no carb guru, but my understanding is that the mixture screws are only for very small throttle openings. You may need to be looking elsewhere in the carbs. Have the carbs been rebuilt, new o rings, etc? What about the possibility of intake air leaks?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
    X