Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 GSX-R-750... Any insight?

Hey folks
    I'm loosely looking at a 1993 GSX-R750. A buddy of mine is looking to get out of it and I really don't know too much about these bikes... I do know they are the first generation to offer water cooling.

So whats the deal with the GSX-R 750 fro this era? Read it has 118hp. Is it a typical Suzuki from this era when pods and a jet kit will yield a maniac? My buddy says it's brutally fast which I take with a grain of salt. How will it compare to a Bandit 1200 with pods and an exhaust? I really would love to get back on something with some gumption. I've never ridden a GSX-R750 before, I hear they are a real BLAST!

So have at it! Pros, Cons, upgrades or steer clears... I was pumped to see it does indeed wear 17 inch ZR tires!

I also would like to add some bar risers and make it a tad more comfy to ride for decent distance (200 miles tops in a day)

Thanks!
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

heavy and slow IMO over the years...
    oil cooled models just seem to make power easy on the larger CC bikes.
    the water cooled bikes look nice and would be a good choice to leave mostly stock and ride it.

Comment

pipe/jet kit/+5 advancer/GSXR cams(i used 1052 cams cause i had them) set around 100/101 LC and the bandit turns into a rev limiter popping wheelie machine.
      near 250lbs suited up i ran low 10.70's @ 129. whatever for over a hundred passes...never 130 mph.
      used to get 20-30 passes every tune and test...love them bandits

Comment

Yeah... The bandits are pretty sweet... I did a little research and a common upgrade on these "W" Gixxers is to yank the water cooled engine and swap in an old SACS GSX-R 1100 or B-12 Lump... LOL I 'm reading Suzuki didn't really make any leaps ahead on this model in the engine department minus the water cooling. Apparently this model did fair better on hot track days vs the oil cooled predecessors. Very heavy too...

Still considering it. Also consider the B-12 that's for sale for $1200 with the smashed plastics and bad chain and sprockets... Ehmmm...

Your right BB the B-12 was a LUNATIC... I loved mine. The suspensions and girth really held it back from being an AWESOME machine. I felt more confident on my FZ1 in the twisty stuff.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Yeah... The bandits are pretty sweet... I did a little research and a common upgrade on these "W" Gixxers is to yank the water cooled engine and swap in an old SACS GSX-R 1100 or B-12 Lump... LOL I 'm reading Suzuki didn't really make any leaps ahead on this model in the engine department minus the water cooling. Apparently this model did fair better on hot track days vs the oil cooled predecessors. Very heavy too...

Still considering it. Also consider the B-12 that's for sale for $1200 with the smashed plastics and bad chain and sprockets... Ehmmm...

Your right BB the B-12 was a LUNATIC... I loved mine. The suspensions and girth really held it back from being an AWESOME machine. I felt more confident on my FZ1 in the twisty stuff.
          The Bandit motors are not a straight forward swap into the WC frames like they are in the oil cooled Gixxers. Not sure what's involved in detail, but I know there's some frame mods as compared to pretty much a drop in fit in the oiled cooled chassis.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            The Bandit motors are not a straight forward swap into the WC frames like they are in the oil cooled Gixxers. Not sure what's involved in detail, but I know there's some frame mods as compared to pretty much a drop in fit in the oiled cooled chassis.
            From what I've read it will swap to an oil boiler with some bracket modification. The later water cooled motors are will not fit without major frame reconstruction.... I wouldn't go down that road anyway.

If I did do a 7/11 with it I would put an 1100 W motor in, direct swap.

I was just curious about the pros and cons on this model. The bike in question (posted above) is minty and well taken care of. I think it would be a cool bike to blast around on. I know the air-cooled 750's rip pretty damn good, just curious if this water-cooled 750 is any different? I am learning it's very heavy. The 1100 and 750 weigh about the same but there is a 45 hp difference... Back when weight didn't determine class just displacement. No real advantage at running it small... I hear the 600 from this era was a real dog, heavy and low powered.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

If you're looking for some speed then don't get the 750. There was a moderate difference between my '86 1100 compared to the 750. The biggest issue that I had on the 1100 was the riding position. It was made for someone that is 5'7" although I did do a few 300 + mile trips. Drill the top triples and put risers on them then it would be a much more comfortable riding position and instance wheelie bike according to HJFISK. But a bike in that condition it would be a shame to modified it.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

It looks to be in pretty good condition so it would be worth just having it in the garage as a rideable time capsule IMO.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                  If you're looking for some speed then don't get the 750. There was a moderate difference between my '86 1100 compared to the 750. The biggest issue that I had on the 1100 was the riding position. It was made for someone that is 5'7" although I did do a few 300 + mile trips. Drill the top triples and put risers on them then it would be a much more comfortable riding position and instance wheelie bike according to HJFISK. But a bike in that condition it would be a shame to modified it.
                  Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                  It looks to be in pretty good condition so it would be worth just having it in the garage as a rideable time capsule IMO.
                  Thanks for the input gents... I think I'll move on from it then... It's a gem and I don't want to ruin a specimen that nice and I honestly won't put much for miles on it in stock form... Looks like I'll be checking out a B-12 instead!!!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Awwww, you're moving on from it Jedz? That was a quick decision. Here's some history on the GSX-R750 and notes from the 1993 model:

1993 you may want to cover your eyes

1993 was the U.S. debut of the water cooler. The racing teams felt they had been hurt by the weakness of the old model's cooling ability. Kawasaki had taken the AMA 750cc Supersport championship for the previous three years and Suzuki was finally making a change. These new models had twice the cooling capacity of the old model.

Suzuki also revamped the rest of the engine. Rocker arms were no longer used as the cam lobes controlled valve buckets. The valves themselves used narrower stems. The valve angle was narrowed, the compression ratio was increased, and the pistons were lighter. The engine itself was physically more narrower, and the factory made another go at mounting it lower. This time there weren't clearance issues. The frame was revised. It was now lighter and more rigid than the previous year. The swingarm was also lighter. The steering geometry was altered, and the wheelbase was increased. This was truly a new bike.
                    A GSX-R750 dethroned Kawasaki's ZX-7R and won the AMA 750cc championship, but the street bikes were down on power from the previous year. They also weighed more. In fact, the 1993 model weighed 100 pounds more than the original U.S. spec 1986 model. In speaking about the 1993 model, Cycle World wrote, "The Suzuki's dyno numbers are a disappointment," and ". . . liquid cooling has not brought an increase in performance." Personally, the graphics were the low point. I couldn't stand to look at them.

1993 GSX-R750
                    Overall Length: 2070 mm / 81.5 in
                    Overall Width: 730 mm / 28.7 in
                    Overall height: 1135 mm / 44.7 in
                    Wheelbase: 1440 mm / 56.7 in
                    Dry Weight: 208 kg / 458 lbs
                    Engine type: 747 cc inline-4, DOHC, 16 valves.
                    Source: http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/gsxr750.html

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-11-2016, 01:10 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I dunno Ed... I want to get back on a fast Zuk when I'm not on the Connie... Looking over the specs and I think my Connie de bagged and screen down would be more fun (and comfy) to ride. Jonesing for a Japanese 4 cylinder powered hooligan... That I could rack a couple hundred miles on and not kill my back.

Thanks for the info Ed! It's a shame they didn't give the street 750 the beans the track one had.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

One word.........Busa!
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                          One word.........Busa!
                          Todd... Don't tempt me...
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

1993 GSX-R750 was the heaviest one of them all... in 1994, Suzuki put the bike on a major diet and it shed a good 30-odd pounds. Regardless, you don't buy this generation of GSXR for ultimate performance... you buy them for that cool aluminum cradle frame and their delicious 1990's flavour!

My 1994:

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Did someone say "Busa"? I just traded my B-King for one of those!

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X