Forward Controls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Controls!

I have a 82' GS650GL and I was thinking about putting on some forward controls for the brake and shifter. Has anyone in this community ever done such a thing. If so could you share your experience.
    Thanks!

Why do they call them controls?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Why do they call them controls?
      They control some things. Have you seen a GS with them? I think they look nice and would be way more comfortable.

Comment

No .

Comment

That might be the only thing that would make an L more comfortable.

There was a thread a couple of years ago where somebody wanted to buy some forward "controls", but I don't remember how it ended.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ill have to do some digging. But ya, my legs cramp up sometimes because they are so far below me.

Comment

I think the black GS850G pictured about half way down the page in this thread has forward controls:

The person who fabbed them up seemed to do a fairly nice job of it. You might want to contact him.
              There seems to be a list of things the old timers on this site approve and I guess forward controls are
              not one of them hehe I will tell you that on a bike with forward controls it puts more pressure on your
              tailbone. I recently sold an 80 GS1000GL and thought the stock riding position was decent once I got
              rid of the ridiculous factory buckhorn handlebars. They put me in an awkward position. I replaced them
              with some fairly high bars but the handles were not pointing to the rear of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 82'GS650 View Post
                Ill have to do some digging. But ya, my legs cramp up sometimes because they are so far below me.
                The footpegs should be below you because that's where they're supposed to be. There are lots of reasons you want to be able to put your weight on the pegs occasionally while riding. (Most of them are bracing yourself for large bumps or surmounting obstacles, but there are others too.)

Perhaps you're just too tall for the bike. The L models have a lower-slung seat than the rest and this can make for cramped riding for people with longer legs. I would aim to reupholster the seat to make it a little taller before anything else.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Guess we had best tell all the Harley riders they had better find some new pegs as most cruisers have forward controls, perhaps even much farther forward than could be done on a Suz L. Those riders are lucky to be alive, I guess.

Lots of folks ride with forward controls and like that control placement.

Comment

I did a lot of searching for forward controls because my knees were just not comfortable being bent so much. I am 6'2". I finally found these footboards with controls, and I like them very much. These were NOS, I don't think anyone makes anything new like this now.

I have some rubber covers on the heel-toe shifter now. Used some foosball table handles!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That's why they make taller bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        That's why they make taller bikes.
                        True, but many of us love our L's.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That has always amazed me.

Comment

tkent02, When you get a chance, why not share your views on the L models out there that other folks seem to like? I am sure I have not heard your opinion on this issue, or perhaps I may have once or twice. Thanks for sharing; it add a lot!

jsandidge,

As far as those forward control that were pictured, the shifter side board looked like it was placed outwards quite a bit. Does that get uncomfortable? I HAVE to have floorboards on my Goldwing because the fixed stock pegs get really tiresome and I am not all that fond of highway pegs as it splays my legs out too far. I do like forward controls on some bikes (like my wing).

Comment

Those controls pictured are really nice. I likem. As for the controls being under for bumps and turn I get that but it is a soft tail for a reason. I was just throwing something against the wall and seeing what would stick. I plan on bobbering it out before touching the controls. Probably start cutting tomorrow haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X