Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSX 1100 sd Katana, ignition frustrations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 1100 sd Katana, ignition frustrations.

Right then, I am at the end of my tether, I've asked my most knowledgeable of friends, racked
    my own brain till it hurts, downloaded many info packs, and followed much advice, but I still can't get sparks on 1 of my coils.
    Last year I set about a full rebuild, including junking the old knackered sticky butchered by others in the past wiring loom.
    I've made a new one following the correct manual for my model and have not replaced the ignition/coils/pickups/cdi unit, just the wiring.I also upgraded the switch gear to ones from a GSXR 750 k7, and all lights, horn, hi/lo start and kill switch work perfectly, although I seem to have 2 useless wires left over after wiring in the kill and start switches.
    When I put it all back together I only get sparks out of 1 coil on its 2 plugs. I have tested the coils, both primary and secondary windings and all seems normal, as do the pick up resistance readings. I have good power from the kill switch to the cdi and a good charged battery.
    From the cdi unit I have 4 wires, B/W= a good earth, B/Y to 1 coil and tacho, W to other coil and O/W is the power from the kill switch.
    When I crank the engine all is well apart from no sparks on 1 coil. If I swap the W and B/Y on the coils the sparks switch coils and now the other coil sparks and the other doesn't. I'm not sure what I'm missing and as far as I can tell everything checks out according to all the tests that are possible in the manual.
    I suspected the cdi unit so swapped it for a known good one and am getting the same result.
    If anyone has had similar probs or can shed any light on the situation then please let me know.
    Can't stand the thought of 2 years in a row not riding my Kat.
    All help and advice Very Much Appreciated
    BingXXX

ATTACH=CONFIG]46146[/ATTACH]
    Here's a pic for your enjoyment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Verify that you continuity between the suspect bad coil connector to the igniter. Then verify you have continuity between the signal generator and the igniter. Make sure you have the proper voltage on the bad side and compare to the good side with the engine cranking. The igniter only switches the coil to ground and then opens up to create the spark so it's rather simple to verify. If all checks out, then it may be a bad signal generator (pickup coil). Replacing the ignition with a Dyna ignition may fix your problem as well and be considered an upgrade. That's assuming it's not a wiring issue at the coils.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what I find out. I would ideally not be having this issue, as if my budget at the mo would allow I would be ordering a dyna ignition for it, but right here right now I cannot afford it, so would like to try and fix with what I have in hand, if at all possible.

Comment

Working...
        X