How to make my GS650L Louder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make my GS650L Louder!

Hello, just got an '82 gs650L with 15k miles...making it into a bobber and want it to sound loud. If you search YouTube for gs650 bobber and the one with the cut pipes sounds incredible...Wondering if I cut my pipes then if I will have to get it tuned again to be working properly. Thanks!

Originally posted by Sandy26 View Post
    Hello, just got an '82 gs650L with 15k miles...making it into a bobber and want it to sound loud. If you search YouTube for gs650 bobber and the one with the cut pipes sounds incredible...Wondering if I cut my pipes then if I will have to get it tuned again to be working properly. Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

If you ruin a perfectly good motorcycle by chopping the pipes off, there will be a lot of tuning involved afterward.

Open pipes on the street are obnoxious.

Comment

For the most part, you're asking the wrong crowd. Which is to say that many here won't encourage or help you create a bike that annoys the general population.

A quality 4 into 1 one sounds way better anyway.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Loud pipes are for azzholes.

Go away. Nobody here wants to help you f*ck up a bike and pizz your neighbors off every morning you start it up.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I will help you! Unbolt your headpipes from the cylinder head and remove the muffler hanging bolts and run the bike with no exhaust at all. If you are going to ruin a bike by chopping it up, then heck, go all the way! BTW: The folks on this site will absolutely demonize anyone who tries to make their bike super-loud. Perhaps you are picking that up? You might be happier buying a Sportster and joining a HD forum as they love making those things obnoxiously loud hehe

Comment

The troll sensor's beeping. Could be a false reading, but I doubt it.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
              You might be happier buying a Sportster and joining a HD forum as they love making those things obnoxiously loud hehe
              They have to, no one is impressed with the gay pirate attire alone.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well first off you could just chain it to the bumper of a truck and drag it around to make a lot of noise.

This will also accomplish most of the "CUSTOM" frame grinding and removal of all those pesky heavy uneeded parts that you would otherwise have to have some sort of skills to remove properly.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-23-2016, 08:48 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OH...and besides it just a schitzload of fun dragging a cycle around behind a truck especially at night with all those cool azzz sparks and schitz flying around.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

On the assumption that you aren't a troll...

I am less worried about noise than most on this forum. I generally appreciate higher volume exhausts and have little against them. That said, since you had to ask the question I bolded above, you probably have the wrong bike. First off, yes, you will need to sort the carburation after chopping the back half of your exhaust system off. That isn't impossible, but it requires mechanical skill and the ability to follow directions. Second, you will almost certainly not find a shop willing to work on a 34 year old bike with any level of competence. That means you will end up doing this yourself or paying someone to try and fix it, again and again.

If the above doesn't concern you, then you can carry on with your project. As noted, you won't get much help here as most of the members don't appreciate the hipster squid side of motorcycling much.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

More precisely what not appreciated is yet another hacksaw artist contributing to the already disparaged reputation of motorcyclists in general. Leave the "bad reputation" arena to the ones that truely have a market on it..the outlaw Harley clubber crowds.

Comment

your 30 minutes from me....stop by and i'll let you use my sawzall and get those pesky things off in a flash

Comment

Alright, I can see that I am wrong for making it louder. Just not a fan of the megaphone (go ahead and critique me about that if it makes you feel better) so I was looking to get a shorty muffler and wondering if any of you guys could give me guidance on where to get one of these (like the best brand).

Comment

If the exhaust is still in good shape, remove the entire system and sell it. Then get 4 into 1 and dump its muffler and find some muffler to your liking- it will be easier to tune.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright, I can see that I am wrong for making it louder. Just not a fan of the megaphone (go ahead and critique me about that if it makes you feel better) so I was looking to get a shorty muffler and wondering if any of you guys could give me guidance on where to get one of these (like the best brand).
                              Well, im agreement with the megahhone sentiment. I never liked them either.
                              Like Tom 203 said, you may likely recoup some $ by selling the complete exhaust if its in good shape- they are often hard to come by.
                              If your cutting the existing, you'll have to do some measuring and possible fab work to hang the muffler. Some have gotten Harley Sportster muffler takeoffs for next to nothing and fit them to the existing pipes.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X