No announcement yet.

New owner from Saskatchewan, Canada - 1978 GS1000C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve, I kinda like the black handlebars too. Hmm, maybe it's time to replace the brake fluid then.
    Ed, I think these bars are about 28-29" wide. I'll just leave them as it is for now, works fine so far.
    1978 Suzuki GS1000C
    1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

I, MIK1989. Regards your stop lamp, both switches are adjustable. The front is secured by 2 screws under the lever assy, loosen them and slide the switch to get the best operation. The rear is secured on the frame just below r/h side panel. Loosen the 2 nuts on the switch and set to best position. Your bike looks great. We have been to SK a few times my wife's brother lives in Eatonia, gravel road country.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
        I, MIK1989. Regards your stop lamp, both switches are adjustable. The front is secured by 2 screws under the lever assy, loosen them and slide the switch to get the best operation. The rear is secured on the frame just below r/h side panel. Loosen the 2 nuts on the switch and set to best position. Your bike looks great. We have been to SK a few times my wife's brother lives in Eatonia, gravel road country.
        I have adjusted the brake lamp switches, they work alright now, still not perfect, but good enough. Nice, how did you like SK?

I am trying to replace the headlight bulb to freshen it up, ordered H4 type bulb, it arrived, but now I don't know what to do. When I disassembled the headlight, this is what it looks like. Did I order wrong type of bulb? Or some type of conversion needs to happen for it to work?

1978 Suzuki GS1000C
        1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

You need to replace the old(and very dim)sealed beam light with a new H4 reflector.A very worth while thing to do IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            You need to replace the old(and very dim)sealed beam light with a new H4 reflector.A very worth while thing to do IMO.
            Could you point me to a website where I can order one at a reasonable price? Can these still be found new? Thanks.
            1978 Suzuki GS1000C
            1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

I would have said this place http://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html but they're supplier is out of business.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MIK1989 View Post
                Could you point me to a website where I can order one at a reasonable price? Can these still be found new? Thanks.
                E-bay.

Stanley makes them specifically for motorcycles. They are excellent units and they can be an instant install. I used them on all my sealed-beam to Halogen swaps.

Try this page:
                Get the best deals for stanley headlight at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I got mine here. http://www.xenondepot.com/ a Canadian company so you'll save some on shipping and the parcel won't get hung up at the border.

for H4 leds get the type with a heat sink and not a cooling fan... The fan type being mechanical spins at very rpm and anything mechanical is doomed to fail at some point and that sucks at night if have a single headlight...
                  the heat sink has no mechanical parts just a braided metallic coil that you spread out to dissipate the heat.
                  I installed the a heat sink H4 LED in my CBX and it has an impressive amount of light.
                  Not sure I need one in my GS1150 "train" it's impressive as it is
                  Last edited by wyly; 09-09-2016, 07:23 PM.
                  1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I searched on the XenoDepot but could not find 7" headlight there.

I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330616057701...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                    Would that work?
                    1978 Suzuki GS1000C
                    1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

Originally posted by MIK1989 View Post
                      I searched on the XenoDepot but could not find 7" headlight there.

I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330616057701...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                      Would that work?
                      Yeah that would be fine.I hate when you pay more for shipping than the product but that`s the way it is to much these days.

Comment

Haven't replaced the headlamp, but the seat is now recovered and foam was brought up to make it flat. I ordered Pit Replica cover and gave it to local upholsterer to do the work (he did great in my opinion), seat grab bar was attached as well.
                        I like the look and now I sit slightly higher which helps with legroom.

1978 Suzuki GS1000C
                        1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

Looks great, MIK.
                          The end of riding season is rapidly approaching, time for some miles.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve, I am riding it whenever I have time after work or on the weekend.
                            I noticed that engine is not running right though, pretty sure it ran better when I bought the bike in June, felt more smooth. Choke lever doesn't seem to work right, and acceleration is choppy.
                            Do you know what needs to be done to fix it? I should probably create a new thread for this issue.
                            1978 Suzuki GS1000C
                            1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

No doubt the best bet would be a new thread.
                              Could be without regular riding the carbs are getting gummed up.
                              A well worn GS adage....but i only use ethanol-free 91 octane gas in my bikes.
                              You MIGHT get lucky and a couple tanks worth of Seafoam treated gas to solve your problem.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                No doubt the best bet would be a new thread.
                                Could be without regular riding the carbs are getting gummed up.
                                A well worn GS adage....but i only use ethanol-free 91 octane gas in my bikes.
                                You MIGHT get lucky and a couple tanks worth of Seafoam treated gas to solve your problem.
                                I'm certainly not an expert here and new to Suzuki as well. An aircraft mechanic told me to use a small cup full (like cough syrup cup) of Marvel Mystery Oil every 2 tanks. On my 79 KZ650 and my 95 CB1000, the carbs are clean as a pin when I took them apart to adjust needles. I also was having starting issues on the CB. Or better to say slow starting. The choke was very stiff. I put a little MMO on the slide and cable. Choke opens and closes very easy and starts right up even after sitting for a few weeks. I also agree with a couple of gas treatments as well. Auto mechanics here at my job recommend BG44k

Comment

Working...
                                X