New owner from Saskatchewan, Canada - 1978 GS1000C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MIK1989 View Post
    Thanks Steve, I am riding it whenever I have time after work or on the weekend.
    I noticed that engine is not running right though, pretty sure it ran better when I bought the bike in June, felt more smooth. Choke lever doesn't seem to work right, and acceleration is choppy.
    Do you know what needs to be done to fix it? I should probably create a new thread for this issue.
    Try removing the choke cable at the bar end and drip a few drops of oil into it. Be patient and let them get inside and run down. Regular 10w20/30 is fine as the 10 will be light enough to go through.

Use a carb spray on the exterior to clean off any debris that might be sticking the slide. When dry apply a couple of drops of oil

Use Fuel Injector cleaner in the gas. (mix ratio is according to bottle instructions) You can buy Fuel injector cleaner (NOT carburetor cleaner) at Canadian Tire and their own brand is a pretty good product. They often have it on sale, but any brand will do.
    The cheapest one I know of is from Dollar Tree at $1.25 per bottle.

Note that gasoline degrades fairly quickly and should be entirely used within four months. You have not been riding much and may still have the same gas from a few months ago. If so, try draining it and mix with the gas in your car/truck, and put fresh gas in the bike. The old gas will still work, but not as well, and when you mix it in the car/truck tank even if it is stale it won't matter as it will be part of a larger quantity.

Colder weather is coming shortly, and you may put away the bike for winter. Use a fuel stabilizer in the tank for storage. Fill the tank completely with gas and mix the stabilizer into it well before parking the bike for winter. STABIL has longer life than the Canadian Tire version and some others. You should run the engine for a few minutes to get the stabilized gas into the carbs
    Last edited by argonsagas; 09-24-2016, 08:20 AM.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      Try removing the choke cable at the bar end and drip a few drops of oil into it. Be patient and let them get inside and run down. Regular 10w20/30 is fine as the 10 will be light enough to go through.

Use a carb spray on the exterior to clean off any debris that might be sticking the slide. When dry apply a couple of drops of oil

Use Fuel Injector cleaner in the gas. (mix ratio is according to bottle instructions) You can buy Fuel injector cleaner (NOT carburetor cleaner) at Canadian Tire and their own brand is a pretty good product. They often have it on sale, but any brand will do.
      The cheapest one I know of is from Dollar Tree at $1.25 per bottle.

Note that gasoline degrades fairly quickly and should be entirely used within four months. You have not been riding much and may still have the same gas from a few months ago. If so, try draining it and mix with the gas in your car/truck, and put fresh gas in the bike. The old gas will still work, but not as well, and when you mix it in the car/truck tank even if it is stale it won't matter as it will be part of a larger quantity.

Colder weather is coming shortly, and you may put away the bike for winter. Use a fuel stabilizer in the tank for storage. Fill the tank completely with gas and mix the stabilizer into it well before parking the bike for winter. STABIL has longer life than the Canadian Tire version and some others. You should run the engine for a few minutes to get the stabilized gas into the carbs
      Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna try the injector cleaner see if that helps.
      I usually don't let the bike get to empty so I fill it when it goes just below half, that could have contributed to this problem. Always with premium fuel though so no ethanol here.

There is no choke cable on this bike, it's a lever on the left side, directly connected to carburetors I believe. I'm thinking what could have gone wrong there?

Yeah, winter is coming soon so need to prepare bikes for storage. I usually follow similar procedure with my Honda, fill the tank completely add stabilizer into the fuel then go for a last ride of the season so that stabilizer goes through the system.
      Will keep in mind about STABIL vs CT brand.
      1978 Suzuki GS1000C
      1994 Honda XR650L

Comment

Will keep in mind about STABIL vs CT brand.
        hmmm, I see that CT stabiliser seems to go a little milky in the clear bottle after a year but the bottle is halfempty. perhaps moisture is being absorbed? A sealed bottle looks ok after a year.

Don't know about STABIL in the same scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          hmmm, I see that CT stabiliser seems to go a little milky in the clear bottle after a year but the bottle is halfempty. perhaps moisture is being absorbed? A sealed bottle looks ok after a year.

Don't know about STABIL in the same scenario
          I have not noticed that concern.

The biggest difference inStabil vs CTC bown brand is the length of time it remains effective in the tank.

CTC says max on year.
          Stabil's label tells you to add more and get two years.

For most purposes one year is more than enough, but that is max for this product. I have never tried it for the pax period, but I have done so for Staiil

Many of us have multiple bits of equipment and not all are going to be used in the time frames we expect. I had one motorcycle that stayed in the garage because my wife was riding it and it went away for the winter, but next spring she said it was it too big for her, and refused to ride it. It stayed in the garage through the next winter and was not moved until summer of this year. The Stabil proved its claim and its worth.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
          X