Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential GS850L owner in UK - needs convincing to take the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they popped up on my daily hunt, both look like pretty good options to me. What do you guys think about picking one over the other?

edit* just remembered, the 2nd link bike has a seized engine..
    Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Buying any old bike of this age is always a gamble.

I've bought 5 old GS bikes off ebay and only one of them was proper good. One that I bought from one of those US importers had a completely scuppered engine. See the ES makeover blog in my signature.

Tell me: Is it your lucky day?

My philosophy now is to buy as cheap as possible and do 100% engine rebuilds. Only then will you know it's good.

Except of course the GS1100G we have had from new. I know that is mint inside!
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

The first one looks to be a clean, unmolested example.
        The tyres are probably too old.
        The rubber brake hoses look original and would need replacing.
        The fuel tap looks odd, like a bit is missing.
        The three wires hanging out by the left side cover looks like someone was investigating the stator. If so the charging system could do with checking out as per Posplayr's tests in his sig.
        The screws on the side covers look original and in good order. If they have been off he knew what he was doing.

Last edited by Brendan W; 07-17-2016, 08:10 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yes looks like half the fuel tap is missing. I understand the early fuel taps were troublesome. What was the issue, and can they be swapped out for a later version?

Comment

Sorry, what I know about the early taps could be written on the back of a postage stamp - someone will be along.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My 2p's worth ...1400 quid is way over the mark for an L . Especially as bike sales generally plummet after July ( people buying them for summer normally have done so by August )
              If you can get it MOT'd for under a grand , that'd be a good result

Comment

I like the one at summerbudclassics. The fuel tap is supposed to be like that but budget for a replacement (£40?). The bike is an '80 same as mine not a '79 as stated). It looks good with a few parts that might need replacing but looks like none are missing. It's only a ton fifty more than the second one at DK (where I got mine) the guys there are very helpful and honest.

The first one reads like it doesn't come with an original title and second one states that it is not present.
                The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Yes, I think im going to stick to my original plan of not spending more than £1000 on initial outlay. I'll aim to get a bike on the road for as close to that figure as possible.
                  The 79/80 bike on the link below is looking attractive - lets hope not many other people agree!

Comment

Morning folks.

Whilst waiting for various listings to end on ebay and also missing out on a couple other bikes i've begun to fall for this little GS650GL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Suzuk...-/351784919060

What do y'all think of her? Looks really clean to me, and if I source and fit a starter (do they fit across the range?) it could be a nice cheap option too.

I also quite like the look of this 650G:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS650G-/302013389479

How different do they feel to ride over say, an 850?

Also speaking to another guy about an early Yam XS750 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302017689991 (booo! hiss!)

Comment

I'd have that 650 shaftie. Looks great. Has UK heritage and papers. Nice one.

The DK imports are a gamble. Ask me how I know?

XV Yam is way over priced. Might be worth £800 and besides it's a Yam for goodness sake.
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                        I'd have that 650 shaftie. Looks great. Has UK heritage and papers. Nice one.
                        Alas, I contacted him earlier today and he got straight back to say he had sold it locally this morning. I really must learn to act on intinct and hit the purchase button when I see a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaftCurious View Post
                          Morning folks.

Whilst waiting for various listings to end on ebay and also missing out on a couple other bikes i've begun to fall for this little GS650GL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Suzuk...-/351784919060

What do y'all think of her? Looks really clean to me, and if I source and fit a starter (do they fit across the range?) it could be a nice cheap option too.
                          The 650L looks good indeed and has title papers. Give them a call, Neil or Mark, and they will tell you what you need to know. They have so many bikes passing through each month that they initially don't spend a lot of time with any of them.

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                          The DK imports are a gamble. Ask me how I know?
                          I'm not saying you didn't have a bad time with them, but to balance the books I took a punt with them and even they admitted I won. I've even been back to see Neil with my bike and he was interested to hear and see how I'd got on.

BTW I've joined the FB group.
                          Last edited by Cyrano; 07-20-2016, 01:10 PM.
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Hmm, on second thoughts its missing headlight, starter, starter cover, gear shift mech, and possibly a whole bunch of crankcase bolts. Also some corrosion on lower frame and around silencer joints - I think the risks/costs are quickly adding up on this one.

Comment

Working...
                            X