Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential GS850L owner in UK - needs convincing to take the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did they restrict them? Is it not a reversible fix?

strange how it's listed as registered in 1/6/80. Makes me think something could be amiss

Comment

Originally posted by ShaftCurious View Post
      So, chances are this is an 82?
      i could grab the frame number tomorrow. What am I looking for for confirmation?

Try this.
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Or this.
        Alan

sigpic
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

How did they restrict them? Is it not a reversible fix?

strange how it's listed as registered in 1/6/80. Makes me think something could be amiss
          I meant the speedo's. The 850 went far faster than the speedo was registered for.
          Alan

sigpic
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Great, thanks.

ill try not to get carried away enough to buy it tomorrow then, until I've had a chance to verify its date of manufacture at least.

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
              I meant the speedo's. The 850 went far faster than the speedo was registered for.
              Ah ok. That's kind what I figured (and hoped). Seems a pointless exercise at the time then!
              Im wondering if it's had a frame swap at some point..

Comment

Hi,
                the 85mph speedo is just some type US spec for an L model, I think it was to do with the speed limit in Us, it will also have a surround around the 55mph mark, at 85 the needle just goes no further so one just have to watch the Tachometer. Grease the rear wheel splines every time you replace the back tyre with Moly 60.
                Last edited by Chromedome; 07-14-2016, 07:16 PM. Reason: Hadn't noticed the link

Comment

The frame number starts 'JS1GS7......', so definitely not an '80 model. That series covers '81, '82 and '83. As most others think, it looks like an '82 model. Seller says he has the US title documents, so it should be easy to check.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

Z is what your looking for, pull the right side bar back and look on the frame just under the speedo, should give all the details on the label inc the year, should say? GS850GLZ.
                    Last edited by Chromedome; 07-14-2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                      The frame number starts 'JS1GS7......', so definitely not an '80 model. That series covers '81, '82 and '83. As most others think, it looks like an '82 model. Seller says he has the US title documents, so it should be easy to check.
                      You obviously have keener eyes than me, where did you pull that frame number from?

Comment

It's on the Ebay ad. Unfortunately there's a couple of pieces of wiring in the way of the rest of the number. It's on the right side of the steering stem.
                        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Z is what your looking for, pull the right side bar back and look on the frame just under the speedo, steering stem, should give all the details on the label inc the year, should say? GS850GLZ.

also, now I found the Link. Seat is not 80 pattern is 82 and a different shape? 80 air box doesn't have rubber overflow hose through the gearbox at the rear driv.e shaft, 82 does, brake fluid container on an 80 is round not rectangular, 80 doesn't have a side stand warning light, 80 doesn't have warning lights in the tachometer they are in the dash, 80 dash is higher, 82 dash is lower, 80 doesn't have the choke on the handle bars as this does, handlebars don't look like 80s, not high enough, look 82, petrol tank looks like 82 shape and would have two fasteners "bolts" 80 would only have one, 80 filler cap is round 82 is not, tyres on an 80 are 19" and 17" rear, tyres on an 82 are 19" front and 16" rear. Could be totally wrong of course!!...but looks like 82 to me.
                          Last edited by Chromedome; 07-16-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

It's on the Ebay ad. Unfortunately there's a couple of pieces of wiring in the way of the rest of the number. It's on the right side of the steering stem.

Comment

Chromedome has absolutely nailed all the points that I noticed regarding the year of the bike.

That is exactly the same year/model/color as my wife's bike when we got it. It has changed a bit over the years, though.

ShaftCurious: the three most common OBJECTIVE objections to the "L" model are handlebars, tank size and seat shape. Any other objections are purely SUBJECTIVE, such as: smaller headlight (might be hard to find a UK-legal version), copious amounts of chrome, etc. As you have seen, some people actually prefer the chrome or the slightly lower seat height, but almost everyone agrees about the poor handlebar shape. The rest of the bike is virtually identical to the G or Euro-spec bike, so handling differences are almost non-existant.

The stock "L" bars were engineered by the Marquis de Sade. There is no doubt about that. My wife's bike came with lower, flatter bars, but she is short and needed bars that came back to her, so we installed bars from a Kaw Z1300B, which are very comfortable (for her).

Bottom line, sit on the bike, see if it is comfortable, especially the handlebars. Handlebars are easily changed. The shape of the seat can be changed, but will likely require the services of a professional upholsterer. The headlight can be changed, but because of its smaller size, you might want to upgrade to a 7" bucket, which will also require different mounting arms. Not a hard job to change them over.

Bottom line: if it fits ergonomically and financially, go for it.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The headlight can be changed, but because of its smaller size, you might want to upgrade to a 7" bucket, which will also require different mounting arms.
                                All great advice, thanks again guys.
                                Regarding comment above - what is a 7" bucket?..
                                Would a headlight from a G spec UK bike fit if I picked up mounting arms with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X