Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential GS850L owner in UK - needs convincing to take the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The standard G had a larger headlamp, with a black shell. L models had a smaller headlamp, with a chrome shell.

So in order to get an MoT, your options are:

Use a mask on the existing headlamp

Source a UK 'GL' lens and fittings

Upgrade to a standard G headlamp
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by ShaftCurious View Post
      Regarding comment above - what is a 7" bucket?..
      Would a headlight from a G spec UK bike fit if I picked up mounting arms with it?
      Answered by steveb922:
      Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
      The standard G had a larger headlamp, with a black shell. L models had a smaller headlamp, with a chrome shell.

So in order to get an MoT, your options are:

Use a mask on the existing headlamp

Source a UK 'GL' lens and fittings

Upgrade to a standard G headlamp
      Not sure if you guys were "blessed" with the GL series or not, but you can certainly find the standard headlight bucket from a G or E bike. Because the L headlight was a bit smaller, you might not find a UK version if the L was never officially imported there. It might be easier to just change the whole assembly.

The bucket itself might measure about 8" across, but the headlight that fits inside it will be the standard 7" diameter, hence the " 7-inch bucket" designation.

I have upgraded my wife's 850L and my son's 650L with 7" lights. I just found headlight buckets and ears appropriate for each bike and installed them. The larger light does not look out of place at all, only the really observant afficionado might even notice.

Last edited by Steve; 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's an L. Pass.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So I'm Just back from a second viewing. Had a good look and couldn't find any evidence of leaks. Engine and carbs are surprisingly clean, possibly after being steam cleaned I'd imagine.

tank had a few more knocks and scrapes than I noticed first time around, in fact the bike as a whole looks a little more tired in the flesh than the pictures make out. Which is where my issue with it lays, it would take a huge amount of time and effort to get it looking box fresh again - not that I would bother, just in terms of selling on again in the future - I imagine it would be hard to break even let alone make a profit.

so, do I want to commit to a long term future with it? I'm still undecided and may take the other half for a viewing tomorrow to gauge her opinion. I had a couple of sits on it and although initially comfy, I imagine the sitting position may possibly become irksome after a few miles - the bars feel 'cool' but perhaps in small doses.
          It's likely to cost me £2000 all in to get it roadworthy/licenced and there's an absolutely minty mint XJ650 Seca with 1600 miles from new available elsewhere for £1975... Which I originally discounted for being over budget.
          now I'm wondering if it would be best all round to stretch that budget and pick up an as new bike for used money - and save myself a bunch of time in the process.

incedently I asked him to check the papers and he confirmed that it is an 82 model. I took a photo of the frame number but it's largely obscured - starts JS1GS71... Ends 03
          Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

If it was for me, I would look into getting a new headlight (and bucket) and handlebars, then riding it.

After all the maintenance items are checked, of course.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My thoughts on looking at the photos were that the bike was overpriced by 20 - 30%. Then you have to allow for getting it road-legal in the UK. A good GS 850 is a fine bike, and I don't have anything in particular against the Ls. That's just a question of personal taste, but it has to be said that they were never that popular over here, and that would be reflected in resale value. My thinking is that if you were to buy that bike and sort out the legalities, you could expect to sell it for maybe £1100/1200.

On the other hand, if you were to buy it, and treat it as a rolling restoration, in the knowledge that you were not necessarily increasing the resale value by the amount of money spent, you'd still have a lot of bike for relatively little money.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

If it's not jumping at you and you don't really want it badly, I would pass this time. You need to want that bike to put in the hours getting it up to scratch.
                It's not a rarity, plenty of fish in the sea, for a while at least.
                Better off regretting passing on something that might have be a good one than saddling yourself with something you don't really like.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Not for Profit !

My GS850gL is way over budget.
                  I am so upside down on it I could own a much newer bike right now if I had spent the money differently
                  BUT --
                  I never bought it to make money - I just LOVE it.
                  I Like being able to work on it and make repairs
                  I enjoy tinkering with it as a hobby
                  The bike is fun to ride, and unique enough to draw looks from those who either remember wistfully or wonder what it is ...
                  The modifications and 'improvements' I have made are specifically FOR ME ; ABOUT ME and BY ME .
                  Mine has a salvage title - I can't even fully insure it -
                  I wanted to have a commuter bike ; something less of a hassle to ride in traffic than my Goldwing
                  I wanted to keep those commuting miles OFF the Goldwing .
                  AS an investment it is a terrible place for my money -- but as a HOBBYist thing to do -- Priceless
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                    My GS850gL is way over budget.
                    I am so upside down on it I could own a much newer bike right now if I had spent the money differently
                    BUT --
                    I never bought it to make money - I just LOVE it.
                    I Like being able to work on it and make repairs
                    I enjoy tinkering with it as a hobby
                    The bike is fun to ride, and unique enough to draw looks from those who either remember wistfully or wonder what it is ...
                    The modifications and 'improvements' I have made are specifically FOR ME ; ABOUT ME and BY ME .
                    Mine has a salvage title - I can't even fully insure it -
                    I wanted to have a commuter bike ; something less of a hassle to ride in traffic than my Goldwing
                    I wanted to keep those commuting miles OFF the Goldwing .
                    AS an investment it is a terrible place for my money -- but as a HOBBYist thing to do -- Priceless
                    Well said. That's exactly how I feel about mine. With everything I have learned from this site and doing it all myself, it has been an investment in me - not in the bike.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                      Well said. That's exactly how I feel about mine. With everything I have learned from this site and doing it all myself, it has been an investment in me - not in the bike.
                      Ditto, ditto.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I totally agree Wingsconsin. If I added up the money I had chucked at my other hobbies over the years it would probably make me blush - profit isn't really what I'm here for - but with my budget being as it is Im just trying to ensure my initial investment is sound enough.

I do find myself hankering after the GS and putting my name on it - whatever I end up with will be running sweet and fully enjoyed once I'm done tweaking it.
                        I watched a 30 min vid of a guy cleaning his Suzuki carbs the other day and I absorbed every moment like a sponge. Coupled with advice on this site I reckon I'd be a better mechanic by hook or crook!
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2016, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Hi, shaftcurious, I think I can add something to the discussion here.

I have an '80 850L that was an import from the US. Mine was in a worse state than the advertised one but it cost a whole lot less. The main thing about an import is you don't know how long it has been sitting. For example, mine had a fine rear tyre with plenty of tread and easily passed the MOT with it last year. This year after putting a few miles on it, it is cracked all around the side wall and needs replacing.
                          During the restoration it appeared that every time I touched a rubber seal it disintegrated and needed replaced.

My bike passed the MOT (twice) with the original headlight so no worries there.

Getting it registered was a real PITA and I wouldn't be keen on doing it again.

I say if you want an L, then get an L, and the 850 is a great bike with a great engine. It can waft around the back lanes and handles really well (I think) and yet it can still produce a turn of speed once the tacho goes past 6K. Riding at prolonged high speed will result in you having a neck like Mike Tyson.

Finally, I don't think that is the bike to buy. If you can get it for 1300 (still overpriced) then you better budget for 2K before you can ride it and be anywhere near happy with it. Have a look in my sig for my thread on where I'm at with mine now.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To be honest, I think you're right on most counts. IMO the bike is worth £1000 and I think I've decided that's all I'd be willing to pay, maybe £1100 at a push. but I'm certain the price is firm so I'm not going to even try striking a bargain. I think on this occasion I need to be a little more patient, which is a shame as the bike is only about 10 miles away!

regarding registration, which part of the process did you struggle with? This particular bike has original title paperwork so I'm lead to believe it's easy to get a plate with that in hand?

your rebuild thread is flippin marvellous though, you're a man after my own heart when it comes to devil in the detail. Bravo, you're giving me the encouragement I need to go about my own resto!

Comment

Originally posted by ShaftCurious View Post

regarding registration, which part of the process did you struggle with? This particular bike has original title paperwork so I'm lead to believe it's easy to get a plate with that in hand?

your rebuild thread is flippin marvellous though, you're a man after my own heart when it comes to devil in the detail. Bravo, you're giving me the encouragement I need to go about my own resto!
                              Re; registration, I didn't have the original title. And the NOVA database had one digit wrong. And I struggled to find an insurance company to insure it on a VIN plate only. And the DVLA wouldn't accept my dating certificate (they did in the end). All of which delayed the process and I had to get an extension to the VIN insurance before I could
                              get a plate for it.

Thanks for the feedback on my rebuild. As I say it's not finished yet, but I'm enjoying the ride while I get on with it.

Good luck in your search and get in touch if I can help.
                              The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Here's a cheaper one on eBay today:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS8.../252464097730?

and another

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Suzuki-GS850GL-Unregistered-US-Import-Barn-Find-Classic-Restoration-Spares-/351783384722?

Richard
                                sigpic
                                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                                X