Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found nut, "washer" and metal bits clinging to the rotor when I removed the cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found nut, "washer" and metal bits clinging to the rotor when I removed the cover

I'm in the process of trying to restore a 1983 GSX1100ESD and when I took of the stator cover the novice mechanic in me screamed "This can't be good". So far I've not been able to find out where they've come from, and that makes me very apprehensive about putting it all back together. God knows what might be loose. Also one of the sprockets seem to be missing a tooth, but it seems too clean that it to might be designed that way.

I've added a link to my Instagram post with images.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do? One part of me want to keep dismantling the engine to look for where the bits might have come from. Got a Haynes manual so I might be able to take it apart, also have all the gaskets.

There are not usually any nuts in that area. One possibility is that one fell down the cam chain tunnel and found its way to the left, sloshing about with the oil. Based on the size, I would be pulling the valve cover to make sure all the locknuts for the valve adjusters are there. It's possible that a previous "mechanic" dropped one, could not find it and replaced it. You have now found the dropped one.

The washer might be one of the spacers on the starter idler gear. I see one in your picture, there should be another one on the other side.

The missing tooth is not intentional. Yes, it looks rather clean, but it should definitely be there.

Just guessing, but the tooth might have been removed when the idler gear spacer got caught in its path.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree. May have fallen from the top and was ignored. I would drop the oil pan and see what else is in there.
      The idler gear washer looks a bit thick and the gear is sitting out. Is it pushed fully in or is a thick washer behind preventing that ?
      Just checked a parts fiche and that washer is listed as 13.3x25x0.85mm.

Both idler washers were missing on mine. I got replacements from Suzuki. There is a gallery type space between the bottom of the main starter ring gear and the edge of the oil pan with a rib or two sticking up. I went fishing in there with a magnet on a wire and retrieved one of the idler washers.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 08-05-2016, 07:40 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Have you pulled the valve cover off yet? The nut could be from one of the lash adjusters.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It looks far too large to be from the adjusters.
          Too bad it nicked the starter gear.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I removed the stator from the cover and found the missing tooth, and more metal bits. The stator was pretty damaged by the nut. Seems like a very plausible origin of the washer is the starter gear. The whole thing seemed wobbly and loose when I removed the cover. Still leaves the nut tho. Gonna pull the valve cover later today, it was on the list to do in order to check the clearances. Gonna remove the sump pan later, and check.

Just had a peak and it's just one washer, so the washer mystery seems solved.

Really appreciate the help so far.

Comment

That nut almost looks like a coil post nut, aren't the valve lash adjuster nuts darker, looks too shiny.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Took of the valve cover before I left my cabin(don't have space at home to work on it ), and all the nuts for the valve lashes were accounted for. Took off all covers including the sump, but cannot find anywhere it might be missing from. Forgot to check the cam chain tension if it has nuts like that. I have to start looking at diagrams to see if I can figure it out, or just keep taking the engine further apart to find out where it comes from.

Got a few surprises when I took off the cam cover, there is some pitting on the cam shafts not sure if it's enough to warrant replacement, out port # 2 was very dark and sticky compared to the others so something is off, also missing one of four bolts for one of the cam shaft fasteners.

Comment

I don't think there's any source for a lose nut in the GS engine. Probably accidentally dropped into engine opening during outside work.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

You may not find a missing nut. Whatever about ignoring a dropped one many folks will fit a replacement as a minimum although it would seem that in the case of the cam caps this was not a hard and fast rule for at least one of the previous mechanics. It could have been lost somewhere or the thread may be stripped. Hopefully not. Not wanting to dump bad news on you but have to consider all the possibilities.
                    By outport #2 are we talking exhaust ? If a stem seal is leaking it will run down the stem of the valve and make the back of the valve head wet and carbony.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The "dropped nut" scenario is definitely one I am considering, the PO(s) of my GS have at least in my amateur mechanic eyes played it a bit fast and loose with repairs and maintenance. I am gonna take it apart just to assess the damage it might have done else where. Hopefully the damage the nut has caused is just related to the stator/rotor area.

Yeah, the exhaust port. Thanks for the explanation. Guess I have a lot of reading and youtube videos to watch so I can get all this done.

Once again, I really appreciate all the help.

Comment

Whilst the sump is off, remove the metal mesh filter and see what's inside that:

That's where all the big bits end up.

I agree with another poster above, that this nut is not from inside the engine. I can't recall anything like this inside. It's been dropped in - quite possibly without the PO even knowing about it. But I do worry where it has been and the damage that's been done before it ended up in the stator.

With the sump off you should be able to see the primary drive gear on the crank and turn the motor over to check no damage there. At the same time check the gear on the clutch basket. In fact you might be able to see both through the clutch area - I forget which.

I don't know if it would be possible for a bit like that to end up in the gear box during any of it's travels? Let's hope not!

I would replace that starter gear that has the missing tooth. Did you find that tooth?

Being as the nut has not been crushed to pulp, I would assume that the main bearings will not have been contaminated with debris and they should be good. I had 2 mains fail in the motor from which I took all the metal out of in the picture above.

You are going to need to take the rotor off (it's a pig to do but plenty of threads on here will help) and check the assembly thoroughly. And there are 2 potential problems you may have here. This is one where the starter clutch bolts are loose and worn bigger holes in the rotor and stator was loose and all moving about. Watch the video until the end:

The other problem you may have is that the stator is loose or spinning on the end of the crankshaft. There is only a shallow taper at the end of the crank which needs to be in tip top condition (as does the opposite taper in the rotor) for it to hold together. If you see that the tapers are scored then there has been slippage and you will need to dress the crank and the rotor to get a good mating surface and even use some Loctite Red or bearing and stud lock goop. Research doing this as it's a tricky job to do and you'll end up with your rotor spinning again if you don't do it exactly as required.

It can all be fixed and should be good fun doing it. Should be anyway!
                        Last edited by londonboards; 08-09-2016, 03:34 AM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Maybe a silver lining, I would think if the nut did any heavy damage it would be heavily damaged also.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                          X