Gas filling the crankcase..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadEyeGuy View Post
    Pulled the carbs and everything seems okay. Floats seem to be working properly. Next step is to start pulling jets and checking o-rings and levels while the air filter is drying.
    And how exactly do you know the floats are working ok? None of the jets have O-rings. The only O-ring that can cause gas to keep flowing is the one around the float seat. Unless you forgot to put them on all 4 seats it would not be dumping fuel from all the carbs. Put the carbs level on a bench (I use a large bench vise) and use an auxiliary fuel tank. Fill the carbs and see which carbs are leaking fuel. Focus on the float valves on those carbs.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I know this thread is kinda old but i had the same issue of gas in the crankcase. A few months ago a rebuilt the petcock but problem persisted. Going off of what the previous post stated, I took the carbs off and put in a vise on a level surface and supplied gas from an auxillary tank, after about 30 seconds the #4 carb (far left) started leaking. Turned out it was the rubber O ring that is around the housing for the float needle. Old one had shrunk from age and the new one created a much better seal. Put the carbs back on a level surface and supllied gas, no more problem, had to adjust the pilot screws a little after the adjustment and its never run better. Hope this helps someone, and thank you JTGS850GL!
      Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thewarthog View Post
        ..., after about 30 seconds the #4 carb (far left) started leaking.
        OK, please make up my mind.

Was it #4 carb or was it the one on the left? They are not the same carb.

The carbs are numbered from left to right, AS YOU SIT ON THE BIKE.
        #1 carb is under your clutch hand, #4 carb is under your throttle hand.

Numbering won't matter in this case, since you found the culprit and it's on one of the outside carbs. Where it WILL matter is if you say you have a problem with the vacuum port on your #3 carb. Only the earlier VM carbs have a vacuum port on #3, your '82 1100G has BS-series carbs with a vacuum port on #2.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

#1 carb yea I had a brain fart when i typed that, vacuum port on #2 as you stated.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Here’s a story about a gas filled motor that could’ve been really bad. A friend had a 71 Dodge Charger 383 with a Carter 4 barrel carb. Him and his friend had been cranking on this thing for 3 days no fire. He asked me to stop buy to take a look and in doing so I found a broken wire to the ballast resistor. After fixing that I noticed they had the fuel line run into the large vacuum port on the baseplate! I fixed that.All that cranking was running gas directly through the engine to the crankcase. Pulling the dipstick it smelled like gas. I said Well I’m outta here,drain the pan an refill with oil and let me know what happened. Found out later they had drained 5 gallons of gas/oil out of the block. It’s a wonder it didn’t hydro lock. Got it started clattered for a few minutes and ran. Buddy sez runs great never been so smooth. One backfire while trying to start it could have ruined his day.

Comment

Working...
            X