Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    We spent a good couple of hours finding and removing tics from our terrier Maddie on Sunday. They must have just latched on as we couldn't feel them through her fur yet. We pulled a dozen or so about the size of poppy seeds. Got pics, but they're gross.

Washed all the bedding, sprayed the furniture, treated Maddie with anti tic oil stuff. Hoping they're gone now.

Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle kills ticks instantly and so does the classic amber colored Listerine in a spray bottle. Also, a soapy soak in warm water with Joy, Dove or most any dish wash detergent will kill most of them. The problem with the bath method is the ticks head for "higher" ground and migrate to the neck and head to get away from the soap. So, drench those parts too.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You wouldn't believe how squeamish my wife is when it comes to bugs. All of that work is going to fall to me. We're fairly fortunate here, in that the tick population is quite low, and Lyme disease is not strongly endemic.

Deer ticks are on the rise however, and Lyme disease can't be too far behind.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        You wouldn't believe how squeamish my wife is when it comes to bugs. All of that work is going to fall to me. We're fairly fortunate here, in that the tick population is quite low, and Lyme disease is not strongly endemic.

Deer ticks are on the rise however, and Lyme disease can't be too far behind.

My wife is ok about bugs. It's the snakes she won't pick up and toss outside. I keep telling her that unless the snake is large enough to consider her a food source, she'll be fine. heh
        Last edited by earlfor; 06-23-2021, 07:02 PM.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          We spray before hiking and do a tic check when we are done.
          Yup, we do too. Not well enough though.

Earlier this summer one found me on a short grass prairie hike and attached itself in a place where I don’t often look. 10 days later I did see it but by then the tick was pea sized. After removal and for 2 weeks later there was an almost irresistible urge to scratch the hard lump at the bite site. It’s amazing how a bug can burrow into flesh painlessly.

Sorry Steve for addressing your post to talk about scratching my nuts but it was a good opportunity to tell my tick tale.
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle kills ticks instantly and so does the classic amber colored Listerine in a spray bottle. Also, a soapy soak in warm water with Joy, Dove or most any dish wash detergent will kill most of them. The problem with the bath method is the ticks head for "higher" ground and migrate to the neck and head to get away from the soap. So, drench those parts too.
            That's what we were finding on the interwebs, thanks for confirming they work. Now I just need to find a 55 gallon drum of mouthwash to spray the backyard, LOL. We're hesitant to use pesticides since ther are turtles in our yard.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Getting even farther (further?) off topic here. In regard to bugs, I got to my jobsite yesterday and there were big black ants everywhere. No place to set my tools and stage materials without having them crawl all over my stuff. For the first hour or two I was squishing as many as I could, being careful not to stand in one place too long. Pretty soon I noticed the ants had gone away.

Around lunchtime I started hearing rustling in the dried grass and leaves. Lizzards were out now, no doubt looking for ants and other bugs to eat. They're fun to watch and catch. Not sure why they go into a trance if you flip them over and rub their bellies. Never gets old seeing that, but I digress.

A short while later, not a lizzard to be found. They were about to be this guy's lunch!

20210623_132010 by Roger, on Flickr

I was on my knees installing the lockset on the front door. Swinging it open, this guy was literally arms length away on the doorstep. Rather startling! I closed the door and grabbed my phone but by that time he had jumped up on my stool.

The roadrunners around here are bold, to say the least. I had one puff up and chase me away from a yucca where I suppose his nest was. Kinda funny and scary at the same time.

A roadrunner is the bird in my avatar by the way...
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger, where there's a Roadrunner, there's bound to be a coyote nearby. "meep-meep"

And, with that, we are now back on-topic.
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-24-2021, 09:55 AM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Our daughter's overweight pit, Marco, is staying with us this week.
                  He is used to living in an apartment, so our yard keeps him happy much of the day.
                  The rest of the time he is wearing out our 2 year old Heeler.....They love to play with each other....LOL...

Marco's summer visit by R John Thieda, on Flickr
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Here is an update of Raffie from last weekend when he barely tipped 14 pounds at 13 weeks. He is now almost 14 weeks old and 16lbs. He seemed less than impressed that he had to wear a life jacket

'83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      Roger, where there's a Roadrunner, there's bound to be a coyote nearby. "meep-meep"

And, with that, we are now back on-topic.
                      That's hilarious, Rich.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        Here is an update of Raffie from last weekend when he barely tipped 14 pounds at 13 weeks. He is now almost 14 weeks old and 16lbs. He seemed less than impressed that he had to wear a life jacket
                        Wow, he's growing like a weed. Does he ride on one of those boards in the background with you?

Raffie looks about as enthused as our terrier was during the fireworks the other night. We wrap a thunder shirt around her since she's so jumpy with loud noises.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Our daughter's overweight pit, Marco, is staying with us this week.
                          He is used to living in an apartment, so our yard keeps him happy much of the day.
                          The rest of the time he is wearing out our 2 year old Heeler.....They love to play with each other....LOL...

Marco's summer visit by R John Thieda, on Flickr
                          He is a handsome boy!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I have been working PM shifts covering one of my manager's vacations (also down 6 positions in that unit) so it allows for one on one Zola time. We set her up for the Bark Box subscription. Each month is a different theme. This month was beach and we got this weird Shark Mouth thing she just can't get enough of... Today before work she was insistent I play tug-o-war with her even though i was trying to squeeze in a powernap to ensure I make it though to my 1AM end time of my shift. She's the absolute best.

She always does a great job at helping me find the bright side of any situation!

Cheers!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Wish we had a "like" button Justin....Wonderful pup....
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Some big, tough pit bull got in a donnybrook with a farm cat - and lost . Poor Zoey, she will never learn.

Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X