No announcement yet.

Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch! Right on the schnozz. Cats can be tough. They pulled a live one out of the rubble in Florida today (along with 15 more dead humans).
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Three year old granddaughter says "William, dont drink the tadpoles."

(they found tadpoles in the kiddy pool, so figured out what to feed them, and the kids are having fun watch them.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Thanks again for the well wishes everyone. Definitely a weird day today. I’ve walked by his now empty water bowls several times and had to stop myself from automatically grabbing them to fill up. I mistook a black sock on the laundry room floor as one of his paws as I approached the room, etc. We’re not yet ready to pack his stuff up.

I’ve never as a kid or adult had to have a pet put to sleep ( my father’s dog passed at home when I was in high school), and was surprised that we were allowed to stay in the room. Mixed feelings about it, but I think it was a good thing. It was gut wrenching seeing the kids and wife’s reactions thru my own gear filled eyes.
        Glen,

it's been 2 years next month since our Isis crossed Rainbow Bridge. I am so sorry to just read this now. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

My wife just adopted a 2-month kitten who we fostered 3 weeks ago (until it gained some weight to get fixed). Our youngest works at one of the SPCAs in town (she's been accepted to Veterinarian School and starts in the fall) and of course fell in love with the little kitten. My wife has considered fostering more animals...and our daughter has stories about the strays/not available for potential adoption that come in. It really is hard to turn these animals away!

It will take a lot of healing time for Max...and for that, you have my prayers.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-09-2021, 10:38 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Wow, he's growing like a weed. Does he ride on one of those boards in the background with you?

Raffie looks about as enthused as our terrier was during the fireworks the other night. We wrap a thunder shirt around her since she's so jumpy with loud noises.
          The long term goal is for him to be comfortable in the canoe and on paddleboards. We did not attempt either that weekend.

We are lucky in that loud noises don't seem to bother him, but so far, he has not experienced fireworks
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            The long term goal is for him to be comfortable in the canoe and on paddleboards. We did not attempt either that weekend.

We are lucky in that loud noises don't seem to bother him, but so far, he has not experienced fireworks

I would give it about a 98% he will emphatically dislike them. Mine sure do.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Ed. Best wishes to your daughter in school. The new normal is setting in. It’s an odd thing. We moved into this house about 8 years ago and all of the local dogs that were seen then being walked are gone and replaced. I think Max was the last one of that group.

- -

As far as noise / fireworks, Max was fine with it in his younger years. For the last five or so he didn’t like it so much.
              He didn’t cower or runs and hide, but during fireworks of thunderstorms he always had to be near someone. It may have started around that time he was having seizure issues - or maybe he was protecting us....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Three year old granddaughter says "William, dont drink the tadpoles."

(they found tadpoles in the kiddy pool, so figured out what to feed them, and the kids are having fun watch them.)

How fun!

Kid's pool in our yard was put to a different use, temporary living quarters for 12 box turtles.

IMG_2295 by Roger, on Flickr

We had to spray the yard for ticks/ fleas. It took days to round up all the turtles. Unfortunately all of their natural food has just been eliminated. They crunch roaches and crickets like I eat corn chips. Hopefully we can get them back in their spot soon. It's a good time to re-fortify the fence though as a few have been escaping.

Our terrier, Maddie, hasn't attempted to play with them, just stands next to the pool and sniffs them.

IMG_2301 by Roger, on Flickr
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger,do you stock your yard with box turtles or did they just take up residence there as a natural habitat ?

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                    Roger,do you stock your yard with box turtles or did they just take up residence there as a natural habitat ?
                    Haha, no but you'd certainly think that. My son found one 18 years ago and started it all. She was already full grown so maybe 5-10 years old. My dad gave us a fiesty male shortly after that and, well they got busy. We have adopted a few and given away a lot of them over the years. The kids, grand kids and neighbors enjoy them as much as we do. Every spring or early summer we see a couple new ones.

We still only have one fertile female and she's well over 20 years old now.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks Ed. Best wishes to your daughter in school. The new normal is setting in. It’s an odd thing. We moved into this house about 8 years ago and all of the local dogs that were seen then being walked are gone and replaced. I think Max was the last one of that group.
                      You're welcome Glen. The feelings our family went through were tremendous...as all families that are close to their pets go though (as it should be).

Thanks for the best wishes for our daughter...she has found her calling with the Veterinarian Program.

As far as noise / fireworks, Max was fine with it in his younger years. For the last five or so he didn’t like it so much.
                      He didn’t cower or runs and hide, but during fireworks of thunderstorms he always had to be near someone. It may have started around that time he was having seizure issues - or maybe he was protecting us....
                      That's one of the BIG reasons we didn't do/don't do fireworks at home...it scared the living daylights out of Isis. Thunder and lighting had Isis coming to us for comfort as well.

Again, I pray that you are comforted by the memory of Max. We wrote Isis personal letters in calligraphy penmanship and framed them around a memorial we have in our foyer. We had Isis cremated and she's with us every day. There's also several photos of precious moments we shared with her on the wall. These memories always bring a smile to the entire family.

All the best to you and your family, Glen.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I would give it about a 98% he will emphatically dislike them. Mine sure do.
                        I am hoping that the gun dog training will win out. He is pretty good with loud sounds already, but I recognize that the consistent and prolonged banging of fireworks is a completely different story.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Roger, that is an absolutely precious shot of your terrier with the turtles; it is a perfect illustration of focused fascination, and I don't see any signs of her wanting to put one in her mouth...
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            Roger, that is an absolutely precious shot of your terrier with the turtles; it is a perfect illustration of focused fascination, and I don't see any signs of her wanting to put one in her mouth...
                            Thank you. I tried several times but she kept jumping at the sound of the flash popping up or the beeping noise from the camera. I eventually turned off the sound.

She's such a great little dog to have around. Just a perpetually happy and loving creature.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Someone got his first haircut at just under 20 weeks old, and decided to show off to the neighbours. The groomer messed up the face, but he's looking quite sharp nonetheless:

'83 GS650G

Comment

We noticed our Oreo was having issues peeing....weak stream or not at all...blood tests and ultrasound has revealed she has cancer. They have given her 4-6 months...up to 9 if we did Chemo...of course we won't do that...I'm pretty gutted. She is 12 years old...so she has had a good life....I don't know how I'll handle it. She comes to work pretty much every day with me since we got her as a puppy. I even had her pet therapy certified so I could bring her to detox to see clients and to meet with clients when I did outreach work.

No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X