Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    So sorry Bob. Wasn't she your avatar here way back?
    Yes she was. Here and a few other forums...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Oh Bob
      I’m so sorry for your loss.
      No signature

Comment

Glen, Trevor, Thanks...

Things went fast. She was taking pain meds for her hips, but otherwise OK. But once her legs started to get weaker, it went fast.
        Saturday night, the wife had to pick her up and carry her into the house. By Monday, she could barely walk, so we called the vet.
        By the time we got to the vet Tuesday, she couldn't get up at all. We had to carry her in.

Bringing her "bother" Beau was recommended by our daughter. I asked our vet about it, and she was fine with it. Do it all the time.
        The young dog was good, well behaved, just watching and occasionally sniffing his "sister." He knew when she was gone, and was ready to leave.
        I think it was a good move to have him there. He is not searching the house, or waiting at the door, like when she was in the hospital. He knows.

Here is photo from a couple years ago.
        Last edited by Baatfam; 11-29-2022, 07:07 PM.

Comment

My condolences to you and your family, Bob. Saying goodbye to these wonderful creatures is always very hard and knocks the life out of you for a bit. Lucy had a great life!

Comment

So Sorry Bob, condolences on her passing. Knowing it is time doesn't make it any easier.
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Sorry Bob. It's never easy. My recent loss sounds much like yours. You know it's time, but it still hurts bad. Maybe you will get another pet. I haven't decided yet.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Heartfelt condolences, Bob.
                Dogs rule!
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I realized probably too late that a good dog is a combination of the dog and owner, and much falls on the latter. I never took the time to learn how to be a good dog owner. I only ever owned one on my own, but as a kid my family had a couple and I loved them both. My dad was alpha dog and mean to them though, and did things I now know are not right, and I adopted his habits sort of. So my dog was afraid of me I think, but still loving and playful. But she was never one to just hang out by my side, she was too skittish, probably got the vibe from me that scared her. I wish I had understood this before, and got some training. Same goes for my kid, ha! Well he turned out fine and so did the pooch, but no thanks to me.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bob, you mentioned that you have a 3 year old dog as well....as I've stated here our Oreo has cancer and is defying the vets predictions...lol....the question so many dog owners ask is....when to get another dog.....Personally, I don't think there are any wrongs answers. As you guys saw we adopted an older dog in the summer that died two weeks later.....I don't think we would get another dog until Oreo passes....I wanna give her all our attention.....but I wonder how long we would wait....part of me thinks I need to mourn Oreo for a bit....but I do like the position of "your dog would want you to rescue another dog right away.....anyway, I'm rambling...
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Bob, you mentioned that you have a 3 year old dog as well....as I've stated here our Oreo has cancer and is defying the vets predictions...lol....the question so many dog owners ask is....when to get another dog.....Personally, I don't think there are any wrongs answers. As you guys saw we adopted an older dog in the summer that died two weeks later.....I don't think we would get another dog until Oreo passes....I wanna give her all our attention.....but I wonder how long we would wait....part of me thinks I need to mourn Oreo for a bit....but I do like the position of "your dog would want you to rescue another dog right away.....anyway, I'm rambling...
                      Nah, it's all good....ramble away...

We've adopted old dogs and new dogs. Every dog we've had was adopted. But overlap has been rare
                      Thinking back, I had a terrier when Amy and I first met, but that dog passed a few years later.
                      After a short spell of "no more dogs," we adopted an English Setter named Snow.
                      Probably the best dog we ever had. She lived with us for many years, still miss her.

We tried again with the "no more dogs" thing for a bit, but it didn't work. We soon adopted another dog, a little fuzzy white dog, who's breed I embarrassingly can't remember. Before Isabelle, (the little white dog), passed away, we adopted Lucy....she was one year old. Isabelle past a year or so later, and Lucy has been around since.

We adopted our little guy, Beau when we realized Lucy's days were numbered. Except, Lucy surprised and lived much longer than we expected, (not complaining).

So here we are. As I said above, we did did bring little Beau to Lucy's last vet visit, and it was a good idea.
                      Last edited by Baatfam; 11-30-2022, 09:37 PM.

Comment

You have my sympathy Bob. Losing a dog is hard to get over. Maybe Beau can attract a replacement, after all he needs a play mate now.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          You have my sympathy Bob. Losing a dog is hard to get over. Maybe Beau can attract a replacement, after all he needs a play mate now.
                          Thanks Larry!

And Beau will be fine, since our daughter's dog is still here. (Along with our daughters)

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post

Here's mine.
                            O.K., I can comment on this picture. This dog is an exact image of mine. He died last year, after around 12 years. He broke my heart. Seeing this picture, I had to switch pages immediately. He was a little land Piranha to everyone else, but not to me, my cats, or family, and a few trusted friends. He chased huge dogs out of the yard. He was fast, brave, and his own being. I rescued him from a shelter. I asked them to give me the dog no one would adopt. He bit the sh*t out of me the first day, but I did not reprimand him. I left my hand in his mouth, and he melted. We became very tight after that. His name was Rhyse (Reese), that was the name they gave him and he responded to it. I showed my wife the pic yesterday, and she said "OH MY GOD!". It hit her hard too.

Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Working...
                            X