APE clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APE clutch basket

I just installed my rebuilt clutch basket from APE. I'm very happy with the results! Jay and Pat are first-class people, for sure! Jerry
    78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

I would hate for your thread to end here soooo......

What bike ?

How much ?

Did you send them yours for rebuild ?

How long did it take ?

Did you use new APE fibre plates ?

Did you use the $25 nut ?

add anything else I forgot to ask.....
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's a 78 gs 1000 that the big nut came loose on.I sent him my basket and had it back in under two weeks. 300.00 for the work, and I already had a new set of stock fibers and an APE nut already. I had a lot of questions and Jay was very helpful. I was impressed !

Comment

Originally posted by 05Astro View Post
        It's a 78 gs 1000 that the big nut came loose on.
        While riding?

Comment

I rode the bike while it was loose, it's not uncommon for it to happen. The heavy duty nut is supposed to take care of the problem.

Comment

Answer the questions below then I think you need to check in with APE and ask them how to shim the clutch basket for trust clearance, It always seems to happen with rebuilt baskets. If wrong the bike will creep and rip off the nuts, and threads on the input shaft. With heli cut gears too are pushing away from each other, causing pressure on the nut The proper thrust clearance is .001-.003 any more will cause damage and try and rip your hardened clutch nut off the threads. From the basket moving side to side Also causing the bike to creep when the clutch is pulled in. Research 1150 clutch basket shimming to get the idea.
            Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 09-18-2016, 01:03 AM.
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check into it after work today! This forum is the best!

Comment

I pulled the cover off again and found that I had .014 clearance. My next door neighbor has a tool post grinder for his lathe, and made quick work out of it. I reassembled it and ended up with .002. Thanks for looking out for me, I owe you a beer! Jerry

Comment

Working...
                X