Good find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good find

My neighbor gave me a 79 Gs 1000 yesterday. The bike was a rat but I figured maybe I could get some parts and spare wheels. I went to pull the motor and found a cherry set of vm29 smoothbore carbs. I then popped off the cam cover and found Andrews 2-S cams. The parts look new! I should play the lottery, lol. Does anyone know much about the cams? Jerry
    78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Sweet!
    I think Chuck78 is looking for a set of those carbs should you decide to part it.
    How does the bike look? Any pictures?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The bike has been sitting for years, it was so dirty, I couldn't tell what color it is.The speedometer reads 22000 miles so maybe the rest is good also. If I decide to get off the carbs, I'll get ahold of Chuck.

Comment

good find indeed|!!! you had better buy your neighbour beer or food.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Unfortunately the pdf. is missing in this thread but if you contact Andrews directly they should timing/degreeing info.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the input, I wonder if the combination would be good on the street?

Comment

Tonight I pulled the cylinder head and found a 1085 big bore setup. It looks like the pod filters leaked some, there is some wear. I'm not sure what directon to go with the parts. Dar sent me the cam specs and they seem to indicate a mid to top end power band. I did figure out what killed the bike. The flywheel spun on the crank and came loose. The taper on the crankshaft is nuked beyond repair. Jerry
              Last edited by 05Astro; 09-23-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Jerry, John Pearson at Pearson Racing in Ohio can fix that crank for you. He can true & weld it at the same time & give you a bullet proof crank.
                Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the input Ray! I'm still in question about the cams, the numbers seem big for the street. The cylinder head had the aera around the cam bucket clearaced for the nose of the cam. I checked the lift with v-blocks and a dial indicator and it was .388. Jerry

Comment

That isn't big for a street cam in that engine. It is perfectly streetable.
                    Ray.

Comment

shims on top or bottom?
                      under .400 isn't big at all really...good combo for your pistons and carbs though.

Comment

As far as the rotor end on the crank I purchased a billet left end from Falicon for the small taper which my 82 1100 has in it . Supposed to be stronger and they also eliminate the small oiling hole in it for the starter clutch bearing. Which was found not necessary and caused weakness. Don't know if one is available for the 1000's though. But as Ray says Pearson is the man on cranks. Anyway killer find on the bike. Good luck.
                        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

It still has shim on top, and looks like stock springs and retainers. The andrews info said to use stock stuff, but that was the 80s. Jerry
                          Last edited by 05Astro; 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Screw pictures of your GS. I want to see more of the XR in your avatar. Is that you riding?
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I wish it was me! The picture is one of Hondas team riders on a Xr650r. I've been to Baja twice to ride, it's the most awesome experience I've ever had. Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X