Most likely misplaced questions for a 79 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most likely misplaced questions for a 79 GS550E

First off, hi. I've been a lurker in the forums since late last year.

I've always enjoyed riding but have always taken a passive role with motorcycles. Two years ago I started my own business and it's finally gotten to a place where I am on a pretty regular schedule and have time to reap some benefits and free time. I've always wanted to learn mechanics and work on bikes so for Christmas a good friend heard of a guy losing a hiding spot in a garage under his work so he had to part ways with a non-running 79 GS550E (although the po said it was fine; he just stopped riding). It was pretty cheap so he bought it and basically unloaded it off at my house. I wasn't really concerned so much about it being a money sink or if there was something seriously wrong with it the po was hiding. I was basically amped about the learning experience. I downloaded the manual and with these forums as a second resource got to work. I don't have a lot of time but the extra I do I put into the bike. I finally got it running steady yesterday and felt confident enough for a ride around the block. Super happy that worked out.

Having no mechanical experience there are a few things that I've come across that I can't really pinpoint and lack the right knowledge to properly pose the question. I feel nervous going to a shop because I think they'll just look at me like an idiot or not really be able to understand what I'm saying or they won't want to just hand out free mechanical advice. Whatever the result may be I figure this is a good time to lose my "lurker" status here and get into the conversation.

Here are the two things I've been left with and can't figure out.

1. The electric start just won't work. The button works to trigger the relay. I've tested the flow from the battery to the relay, the relay to the motor and all looks as it should. The starter motor spins. The engine will not crank over. I've drained the oil and taken off the cover more times than I care to admit and I feel like a dumb*** but for whatever reason I have not been able to figure out where the disconnect is. Side note, kickstarter works great. Hooray for that at least. If that wasn't there I'd probably have never gotten this thing started ever. Haha.

2. Due to my lack of experience this item is more just an inquiry for reassurance or a question for a trained ear. I've never owned or dealt with a motorcycle that's been in existence longer than I have so I'm not exactly sure HOW it's supposed to sound. When it's running there's a soft airy sound sort of like a steam engine. It also is audible during manual compression if I push the kickstarter down with my hand. Is that OK and a normal sound or is that a problem?

Once I got these two things worked out I'll start looking around for stuff to make it pretty again. Thanks for the help and thanks to everyone for making this forum such a valuable tool open for anyone and everyone.

Where are you located (hint, put that into your profile)?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Where are you located?
      Oops. North of Seattle basically.

Comment

Having that information will help you as there are quite a few members in the Pacific Northwest that can possibly lend a hand.

However, to start off let's get some idea as to the condition of your electrical system. Do you have a multimeter? If so, what is the voltage at your battery when the:

Key is off?

Key is on?

When pressing the start button?

Since you said the kickstarter is working, what is the voltage at the battery once the bike is running?
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Heres the service manual. But basically, under the carbs is a cover with 2 bolts on it..take that off and theres the starter. The big cable goes from the selinoid to the positive terminal of the starter motor. At the rear of the starter there are 2 10MM headed bolts. Those bolts come out and the starter is wiggled to the back of the well and its then removed. Its a much easier job if the carbs are removed first.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Since your starter motor is spinning and the engine is not spinning (note to Chuck and Cowboy, reread his post) you need to do this:

Remove the left front side cover, the stator cover. A bit of oil will come out, so be ready with the oil pan. There should be 3 gears visible, from upper right

1. The gear on the end of the starter
            2, The idler gear
            3. The big gear on the crank shaft, attached by the starter clutch

If all 3 gears are where they should be, try to spin the big gear. It should spin clockwise, but not counterclockwise (remove the idler gear 1st and be sure it has a washer on each side)

If it spins in both directions, the starter clutch has failed. It's not an uncommon issue. You'll have to buy a puller to remove the rotor, do not use a 2 or 3 jaw puller. Sometimes, you can use a bolt of the correct size. Once off, the starter clutch is held to the rotor with 3 bolts. These are probably sheared off. Be sure to replace them with hardened bolts and Loctite

But, as with any older bike, anything is possible.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The steam engine sound, might be a exhaust manifold gasket gone bad/shrunken from age or a hole in the muffler. Removing spark plugs and looking at the color might indicate which cylinder is hot/white color or taking a closer look/listen to the exhaust header when the bike is running to see if one cylinder popping air out.

If it turns out to be a gasket, be extra careful removing exhaust bolts from the head or even checking to see if they're tight.
              Might be worth spraying pb blaster or kroil to soak the threads a bit before removal or tightening. The gasket itself is sometimes hard to see and remove as it's usually a dark mess in the exhaust port. Usually have to be carefully pried out. A dab of grease help hold the gasket in place when refitting new ones. Some anti-sieze thread compound is a good idea on the exhaust manifold threads.

I wish my bike had a kickstarter, have had many issues with my starter clutch shearing off bolts like BT stated above.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                If all 3 gears are where they should be
                Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and assistance.

I'm guessing that when putting on the left side cover the gears weren't lined up properly and were free spinning. One of the two washers is missing on the inside also. So there is a spool on the inside of the LH crankcase cover. Is that spool supposed to be on the bike side or inside the cover? Currently when I take it apart the spool and the starter idler gear is sitting inside the cover. It makes it tricky to put the cover back on and is most likely why the gear was misaligned in the first place. After I got it back on the starter turns over the engine as it should.

Side note, I feel like I should take pictures so I can point out what I mean, and also so I can remember more clearly. Haha.

Today and tomorrow I'll get to work on diagnosing the air sound.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X