Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob OWNER '82 gs650GL - Austin, TX

Hello from Austin, Texas !
    My name is Michael and a more formal intorduction can be found in the NEW Members area.

I'm starting this thread to document my first motorcycle rebuild/restoration on my '82 GS6050GL (you see the album in my signature or go here)
    I'd love to get connected with GS owners in the Central Texas area - feel free to send me a message!

I'll do my best to document efficiently & will provide pics to illustrate when necessary--hopefully it'll help others someday.

Hi bignoise and Welcome. This if you haven't already been directed there http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Those are the after pictures we're looking at, right ?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yes,looks pretty good to start! Though I see you are missing one of the rubber cooling-fin pads and one sidecover is from a different year(?)

part 18 here:
      Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS650G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800.359.0567

How does it run? I hope you won't start cutting it up before you ride it.

Comment

'82 650GL - New baby comes home

**[SEE BELOW FOR IMAGES]

SEPT 2016
        Background notes:
        • PO said he got it from a guy that was starting it as a cafe racer build but it looks like he stopped at the handlebar swap.
        • PO used it as his daily commute to his job in the city for "Two, maybe 3 months." (Distance = 34 miles one way)
        • He stopped riding when we were having lots of rain storms.
        • PO claims: Tried to fire it up a few weeks after and she idle but wouldn't run unless choke engaged.
        • PO informed me that exhaust 4 was cold.

Inspection notes:
        • Chrome still in decent shape
        • Obvious signs of a spill (damage consistent on right side)
        • Decent enough tires
        • No visible frame modifications
        • Still had original bill of sale from 1982

We drained the floats & gas tank and put in some fresh gas.
        Got her running. I invited a daredevil friend to ride it home for me (not really expecting it to make it)

She made it home. (I now realize riding it that far was stupid and probably created a fuel wash event )
        Lucky she didn't lock up. Karma must be good.

First Ride Notes (according to my experienced rider):
        • Wouldn't go past 50mph
        • Bogs in mid-range RPM
        • Can feel drops of fluid splattering on legs/knees
        • Throttle opens/ accelerates when steering
        • Brakes felt OK
        • Instrument cluster and lights are operational

^Right Side

^Spill-damaged carb (#4) w/ crusty boot

^Damage on Fuel Tank

^Head

There are tons of other photos here:
        Here's a video of what she sounds like idling after cold start (day after the 35 mile home):

Here's a video of inconsistent idling (probably caused by mis-route in throttle cable?)

First things first: pull out airbox/carbs and begin cleaning

(I'll post about the mayhem I found in the next thread)

Comment

Thanks Brendan!

Yes, very familiar with BikeCliff's site--actually read thru his "10 mistakes" first.
          I wouldn't have dared to try working on my first bike without the information on there (and here)

Those pictures are from the day after I got it home-- she's now missing all intake and exhaust elements. (cleaning, assessing damage/replacing)
          Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Missing fin pad

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            Yes,looks pretty good to start! Though I see you are missing one of the rubber cooling-fin pads and one sidecover is from a different year(?)
            How does it run? I hope you won't start cutting it up before you ride it.

Thanks for the info Gorminrider -- yeah, looks like left side cover is from another model --
            But I didn't realize I might be missing a fin pad.--I'll look into it-- what their purpose anyway?

I talk about the first run in a thread below

Comment

'82 650GL - Breakdown: Phase 1

Ok, before I begin, I realize this project isn't as crazy as some of yours -- I'm not envious of some of the things I've seen --
              But please keep in mind I purchased this to learn more about bikes before I decide to design my own custom build in the future.

She might look pretty good on the outside, but after getting inside, I can see the PO wasn't too interested in upkeep.

KNOWN ISSUES:
              • exhaust pipe temps inconsistent (1 is hot, 2 is less hot, 3/4 cold)
              • vacuum leaks: airbox, manifold boots, and exhaust 3 is smoking at the head

CARB REMOVAL
              • #1-3 seem "normal" -- needles/jets ok and are OEM or same spec as Service Manual/Clymers
              • #4 more rusty, gunk than others.
              • #4 has small crack in body near diaphram cover and near float bowl gasket.
              • Boots to manifold are cracked/rotted for sure.
              • One float was pitted and cracked

AIRBOX:
              • rubber boots free of cracks/rot
              • boots not correctly installed (metal shims were loose inside airbox)
              • airbox had about an ounce of gas inside (with a height line showing it had more at one point)
              • foam filter was ripped up and gummy
              • airbox seal is GOOD

FUEL TANK
              • NO leaks at petcock
              • no rust inside
              • throttle and choke cables routed bad--tight and little tank clearance.
              • fuel filter needed replacement

Battery fully charged and less than 500 mile old. (according to PO)

PROCESS
              Started Carb Dip as per BikeCliff - 24-hour dips
              scrubbing gunk from electrical/cleaning connections
              minor frame cleaning

ON ORDER:
              • O-ring/allen bolt hardware set from our trusted friend here on GSResources
              • Intake boots
              • New float
              • valve tool (for next job)
              • Air/Oil filters (OEM STYLE)
              • Replacement fuel/vacuum lines
              • in-line fuel filter
              • torque wrench/allen socket set
              • Stainless Steel button type allen hardware to have on hand.

Reading an re-reading Valve Clearance Procedure.

Question: Should I buy a compression gauge and a Carb Sync Tool?

Comment

Originally posted by rukusmaximus View Post
                But I didn't realize I might be missing a fin pad.--I'll look into it-- what their purpose anyway?
                Their main purpose was to cause people to scratch their heads thirty years in the future
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

Maybe the head made a whistling noise at speed, and the rubber pads stopped that? I'm just guessing, and really have no clue.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Saw a thread here a while back talking about their being a hangover from Suzuki's two stroke, tinny sounding, heritage. Think the consensus was that if they made a difference no one could hear it.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                      Maybe the head made a whistling noise at speed, and the rubber pads stopped that? I'm just guessing, and really have no clue.
                      I'm an audio engineer by trade (and currently working on another degree in design)--and here's my two cents, essentially banking off @Deuce:

Similar to others, I think they are there to assist in noise control.
                      While sound doesn't necessarily change the density of air, a low frequency source has a strong enough waveform to still have an affect on pressure. These rubber things help keep the fins from vibrating along with engine / road vibrations, to prevent additional sources of air pressure fluctuations for the air intake systems.

Being that the engine performance relies on CV carbs, which, in turn, rely on a constant velocity of incoming air--intake may be affected if engine vibration creates a frequency low enough to alter pressure around it.
                      (Which is probably why pods with CV carbs are such a pain to tune--)
                      the inconsistent velocity caused by the absence of an control unit (air box) in turn causes inconsistencies in performance of carbs---tack on engine noise that alters pressure plus heat (from engine) that alters density, you get unhappy carbbys.

or, they could be there to prevent damage from shipping...
                      either way--useful little things, but probably not noticeable if they're missing.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Nice looking bike you've got there! I restored a 1981 GS650GL in similar condition a couple of years ago. I created a blog to document the restoration process - check out www.kevinsinn.com. Maybe you'll see something that will help with your restoration.

Good luck! You've definitely come to the right place. The folks around here are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Cheers!
                        K

Comment

Still trying to figure what happened to the #4 carburettor.
                          It looks like it was dragged behind a truck for 100 yards.
                          Can't see it being on the bike when it happened.
                          It's almost like collateral damage from a cutting tool.
                          Last edited by Brendan W; 10-04-2016, 10:40 AM.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                            Hi Michael,

Nice looking bike you've got there! I restored a 1981 GS650GL in similar condition a couple of years ago. I created a blog to document the restoration process - check out www.kevinsinn.com. Maybe you'll see something that will help with your restoration.

Good luck! You've definitely come to the right place. The folks around here are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Cheers!
                            K
                            Hey thanks @Skinner! I love the way you organized the site. I'll definitely bookmark it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              Still trying to figure what happened to the #4 carburettor.
                              It looks like it was dragged behind a truck for 100 yards.
                              Can't see it being on the bike when it happened.
                              It's almost like collateral damage from a cutting tool.
                              Yeah dunno.. it cleaned up just fine, except for the crack -- High Heat JB Weld is currently curing--going to see if it holds soon.

I really think the bike may have been dropped (because of the small fractures near float bowl AND diaphram..? but hmm.. i wonder what the PO could have been cutting IF it's collateral damage from that.

Comment

Working...
                              X