No announcement yet.

My Blue Ridge Parkway Ride 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, tough break. Probably every rider on this forum has gotten away with a sidestand 'error' at least once. Several times, for me, but all it cost me was embarrassment.

For that switch, perhaps look into an OEM Suzuki part for a model that used the idiot light. I'm about 99% sure my '82 GS850 had the warning light, so dig up a parts diagram. All you'd need to do is fabricate a bracket -- and a simple photo of someone's '82 would give you a good idea of what you're aiming for.

Good to see someone actually adding a safety warning. I always cringe when people discuss bypassing safety switches like clutch & sidestand. I guess they think they're the exception to the rule that someday, some time, they'll make that little mistake. Same reason pilots go through that checklist every single flight -- they're professional enough to understand that they're fallible.

Sorry your BRP adventure came to such a crummy premature ending! I've ridden it twice in the past three years, starting from Chicago, and it's worth every mile & dollar. I'm already thinking about next year...
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
      For that switch, perhaps look into an OEM Suzuki part for a model that used the idiot light. I'm about 99% sure my '82 GS850 had the warning light, so dig up a parts diagram. All you'd need to do is fabricate a bracket -- and a simple photo of someone's '82 would give you a good idea of what you're aiming for.
      Thank you for the tip Robert; the switch is still available and expensive at $63 from Parts Outlaw for the 850G model
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Thank you for the tip Robert; the switch is still available and expensive at $63 from Parts Outlaw for the 850G model
        Ebay? .......

Yeah! I searched on "Sidestand switch" and got about a million hits, with neat photos of every variety of sidestand switch imaginable, some with universal-looking mounting bolt patterns. Ten, twelve bucks, most of them.
        Last edited by robertbarr; 10-05-2016, 10:37 PM.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Sorry to hear of your downfall, but hope you get mended soon.

I'm yet another who has had a reminder or two about the sidestand being left down, but they were at low speed.

Don't know why I do it with the GS, I never did it on my previous bikes and none had a stand indicator.
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Sorry to read about your mishap Scott, just glad that it was not worse and you can still tell us the story. Best wishes for a speedy full recovery!
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

This experience (less the medical drama) was common with the older BMW's. You can't see the side stand when it's down because it's under the jug. Sorry you were injured. Glad it wasn't worse. I did a low side, mid speed biff years ago. Broken ribs, broken collar bone, oblique eye muscle damage from the concussion. Ribs are healed, collar bone spliced with screws and stainless steel, vision still wonky at times. Give the old bod time.

Comment

Scott, Hey, Not Good.

Glad to hear not worse.

I could send pics of the Honda rubber toe thing on end of sidestand.

Good that you now understand N.O. switch and N.C. switch.

Maybe SOmething you already have thought of, but has not been mentioned:
                Also consider that you dont want the swtich to indicate that the side stand is down.... you want the swtich to indicate the at the sidestand is NOT fully retracted.
                So, have swtich mounted so the plunger is activated when the sidestand is in the full up position, and wire your circuit to the the N.C. contact. Think of the swtich as more "when do want swtich to turn off the light", not so much "when want swtich to turn on the light".

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sorry to hear of this incident, Scott. Heal up fast!

We've had at least three accidents at rallies where someone got excited or distracted, left their kickstand down, and went into the weeds. I've seen a few scrape as well before being flipped up...

Anyway, I'm baffled as to why you're not just using the kickstand warning light and switch that are already there, or should be there?

All the pieces are in place, but the light is just too dim to see. So find a way to make a stronger light.

The Honda-style rubber finger is a great solution as well.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 10-16-2016, 08:32 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Sorry to hear of this incident, Scott. Heal up fast!

Anyway, I'm baffled as to why you're not just using the kickstand warning light and switch that are already there, or should be there?

The '81 550T and L models don't have a warning light from the factory.
                    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      I don't know of any GS that had the switch before '82. Scott has an '81.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My ST1100 has the side stand switch that acts as a kill switch. Has saved me numerous times of taking off with it down.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

My Wing does the same thing, and more. It's also part of the interlock system for Reverse.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry your trip ended this way. I too had a couple of occurrences of riding off with my side stand down. It's an easy thing to forget when there is a lot going on. While I'm not a big fan of nanny style safety gizmos, the side stand cut out switch on my more modern bikes has prevented this from happening again...so I'm for them.

Heal up quick and keep us posted on your switch/warning light mods.
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              The '81 550T and L models don't have a warning light from the factory.
                              Ah, that explains that.

Perhaps you could retrofit a switch from a later model, then?
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

While upgrading my phone this weekend, AT&T gave me a free iPad mini which was kind of nice but not something I really needed. However, since I still haven't built up a new computer and knowing that Apple's toys make decent videos without much effort, I decided to see what I could do with the only video I took from this trip. It's not the greatest but it's my first attempt at editing one of my GoPro videos and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I think I'll go back and edit some of the videos I took from Brown County year.

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-25-2016, 06:38 AM.
                                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                                X