Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas tank question regarding fitment help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank question regarding fitment help please!

Hey guys I have a question

What other year gas tanks fit on the 1983 GS750E?

I'm starting a cafe racer project with this as my base and I don't really know what tanks I can swap this current one with

There's no mix and match database if that's what you're looking for. And it's possible that there's no other tank that fits perfectly. All of the tank swaps I've seen here have required some kind modding to the frame mounts.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Do you have any 83 750e parts for sale? I agree with MechMessiah. It's going to take work to make another tank fit.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Do you have any 83 750e parts for sale? I agree with MechMessiah. It's going to take work to make another tank fit.
        Im picking up my 83 750E this weekend so no i don't have parts for sale at the moment

and i guess im gonna have to fabricate something

Comment

Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
          There's no mix and match database if that's what you're looking for. And it's possible that there's no other tank that fits perfectly. All of the tank swaps I've seen here have required some kind modding to the frame mounts.
          thanks for the info mechmessiah would u happen to know of a couple threads with tank swaps so i could read through them?

if not its okay I appreciate the input

Comment

Originally posted by Sfkid View Post
            would u happen to know of a couple threads with tank swaps so i could read through them?
            This forum has a search feature. Just look for tank swaps/switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sfkid View Post
              Im picking up my 83 750E this weekend so no i don't have parts for sale at the moment

and i guess im gonna have to fabricate something
              Keep me in mind. I'm trying to restore one (slowly). Welcome to the forum! Nice to have a member in the "City" these days. I lived there in my youth and worked downtown for years.....cheers
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                Keep me in mind. I'm trying to restore one (slowly). Welcome to the forum! Nice to have a member in the "City" these days. I lived there in my youth and worked downtown for years.....cheers
                Nice to meet you! I shall be an active member
                and will be changing a bunch of stuff on my profile
                if you stumble upon some gas tank information please send it my way too thanks :]

Also i will probably be asking you a bunch of questions too since you have the same bike anyways cheers buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
                  This forum has a search feature. Just look for tank swaps/switch.
                  Thank you I appreciate the help

Comment

Hey welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure that there are other models you can swayp tanks with. I just swapped a gs550 tank for a 650. You can also go to the parts section of the forum. There are a lot of guys out there selling parts. The guy I bought mine from was Tom Witttom. He is a great guy to do business with and he will give you a great deal on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace07 View Post
                      Hey welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure that there are other models you can swayp tanks with. I just swapped a gs550 tank for a 650. You can also go to the parts section of the forum. There are a lot of guys out there selling parts. The guy I bought mine from was Tom Witttom. He is a great guy to do business with and he will give you a great deal on parts.

Thanks Ace i'm hoping that's the case
                      i'm going get a custom seat and chop the rear but before I do that I have to make sure the gas tank fits the aesthetic i'm going for so i'm trying to get a list of options together so I can choose from there

I'm sure that I'm going to have to do some sort of fabrication for the gas tank to fit properly but if there was a bolt on option that would be amazing!

Comment

I can see you are extremely concerned more by looks but please tell us you have made your the engine is running properly and you have done all required maintenance before you started destroying such a nice motorcycle?
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          I can see you are extremely concerned more by looks but please tell us you have made your the engine is running properly and you have done all required maintenance before you started destroying such a nice motorcycle?
                          Thanks for asking the bike is running and this bike is one of previous owner's commuter bikes.

I am actually picking up the bike tomorrow.

I can see that you are extremely concerned that I might not have thought to check how the bike was operating before I begin to make asthetic mods to it, but I can assure you that I'm not a moron that goes and makes something beautiful on the outside and not on in inside.

My goal is to build a beautiful machine from the ground up that is mechanically sound that looks amazing and that's fun to ride.

I want to make something that is truly mines something I will always be proud of.

again thanks for checking

Comment

Working...
                          X