Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken exhaust manifold bolt, remove head or engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken exhaust manifold bolt, remove head or engine?

I have a 82 gs450l that is sooooo close to being done, but of course, I ran into an issue. Both of the exhaust bolts on the right side broke off in the head. We have tried welding a nut, and an ez out, but no luck mostly because of the frame getting in the way. My question is should I take the head off or just pull the whole engine?

To give yourself a fair chance of doing it nicely, it's head off I'm afraid.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

On a 450 it would be easier and quicker to remove the whole engine and not disturb the head wouldn't it?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

remove the whole engine, easy enough job and would give you full access to the broken studs. saves pulling the top end off and having to fork out for new gaskets.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank you all, engine is coming out!

Comment

Let me know how that goes for you I too have 2 bolts broken on the exhaust and will be removing the engine don't know if I should drill them out or try an ez-out hopefully you are successful!

Comment

I just got an ez out that is a drill bit with a nut on it about 15. bucks and drilled the hole, tightened the nut down and reversed the drill and nothing, put a 3/8" corded drill and tried reverse and broken the drill bit off. I'm not sure if I want to pull the engine but am thinking about taking it to a machine shop and see if they can get it. PITA

Comment

In approximately 10,000 years of recorded human history, an EZ-out has never once worked on an exhaust stud or bolt.

Seriously, there are cuneiform tablets warning about using these stupid fraudulent things on chariots.

Extractors can only work when the threads aren't seized, like if the fastener has broken for some other reason. Careful drilling is the only way. Start small, go slow, and stay on center and you can sometimes avoid damaging the threads in the aluminum.
                Last edited by bwringer; 10-27-2016, 06:25 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  In approximately 10,000 years of recorded human history, an EZ-out has never once worked on an exhaust stud or bolt.

Seriously, there are cuneiform tablets warning about using these stupid fraudulent things on chariots.

Extractors can only work when the threads aren't seized, like if the fastener has broken for some other reason. Careful drilling is the only way. Start small, go slow, and stay on center and you can sometimes avoid damaging the threads in the aluminum.

+1 on this opinion.
                  Once you break it off it becomes an "easy in".
                  It really muffs things up for the eventual machinist and really takes away most of his options.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Had same issue on my 82 GS1100GL. Pull the engine and drill out/re-tap if needed. Plus you have access to replacing gaskets etc..

Comment

Thanks for all the advise, we ended up pulling the engine and slowly drilling and tapping. All done!

Comment

I did not know not to do that or I would have taken it somewhere. I have never used one of these but have used easy outs before several times. I never broke off a exhaust bolt on anything? Guess I should have ask.

Comment

Working...
                        X