78 GS 1000 crank gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 1000 crank gear

Has anyone heard of the helical gear on the crankshaft coming loose? The parts diagram shows the gear as a separate part and two fasteners. This is on my 78 GS1000. I have a noise that almost goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I have an Ape hub nut and a rebuilt basket. Thanks in advance, Jerry
    78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Well, I pulled my head and cylinder off and I can see the gear. When I push on it with a screwdriver, I can see oil squeeze out. The clutch hub nut was loose before the Ape nut. Im thinking it caused the gear to loosen.Looks like the bottom end is going to get some love.

Comment

Hi, I have an 82 GS550 L with a similar noise with a rebuilt basket and APE nut, at idle with carbs in sync. We're not the only ones suspect crank gear will know this winter when it comes apart. Totally unacceptable for a GS.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the nut and basket helped a lot, but it's still noisy. I even found aluminum in my oil filter that I suspect is from the bolt head rubbing the case. I also found out that when they weld the cranks, they don't do the one behind the gear unless it's a total rebuild. Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X