First Bike! GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike! GS650L

I just purchased my very first bike, a 1981 GS650L. 33K on the odometer, had been sitting for 10 years in someone's garage, and got it from auction. New fuel in the tank, new battery and she fired right up. Needs some love after sitting for so long, but I don't foresee any major issues. The choke cable is broken and hangs, so I'll have to find one and replace that, as soon as I figure out WHERE it goes.

i would like to clean it up a bit, and maybe upgrade a few things, mostly lighting for now. Definately a much brighter headlight than the original. A buddy of mine had been telling me about cafe bikes, and bobbers. I'm not too familiar with either since this is my first bike, and this is all a learning experience for me. I just want to go cruise every once in a while. I've been putting off buying myself a bike for quite some time, and I couldn't pass it up on the price, so I went for it. I have lurked this forum for a few days while trying to find some things about my bike, or potential ideas. Any links, options, ideas, or helpful tips would greatly be appreciated! Thanks for looking.

IMG_1853.jpg

Welcome to GSR.

Good that you got it running.
    Afterr sitting for 10 years I cant help but think that the carbs could use some cleaning, even if it seems to run okay.

Also, you should look at the date code on the tires. They could be 20 years old. SOme would say they should be replace because they are most probably at least 10 years old.

Looks like you have a complete good nice stock bike there. Missing side cover in picture, but complete.

Bobber, cafe
    Means hack it up, and make it harder to ride, and less functional, but more appealing to some folks who like that "look". (fact... or my opinion... or fact tainted with my opinion).

First bike.
    Do look for a MSF class in your area.

SOme buddy can give you some quick lessons and get you going down the road, hitting thru the gears.... but that is the easy part.
    What need to learn first is stopping.
    Before get going down the road too much, first learn to start off slow and smoothly then in about 8-10 feet make a sharp 90 degree turn. Which is what need to know to pull out of driveway, right...?

Do tell us more of your adventures.

Last edited by Redman; 10-15-2016, 09:11 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome. Looks like solid original bike. Before your friend bends your ear and convinces you to cut your bike up, go thru basic maintenence, get it running good and safely and....... ride and enjoy.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Welcome to GSR.

Good that you got it running.
        Afterr sitting for 10 years I cant help but think that the carbs could use some cleaning, even if it seems to run okay.

Also, you should look at the date code on the tires. They could be 20 years old. SOme would say they should be replace because they are most probably at least 10 years old.

Looks like you have a complete good nice stock bike there. Missing side cover in picture, but complete.

Bobber, cafe
        Means hack it up, and make it harder to ride, and less functional, but more appealing to some folks who like that "look". (fact... or my opinion... or fact tainted with my opinion).

First bike.
        Do look for a MSF class in your area.

SOme buddy can give you some quick lessons and get you going down the road, hitting thru the gears.... but that is the easy part.
        What need to learn first is stopping.
        Before get going down the road too much, first learn to start off slow and smoothly then in about 8-10 feet make a sharp 90 degree turn. Which is what need to know to pull out of driveway, right...?

Do tell us more of your adventures.

Yeah, I was planning on attempting to clean the carb up, or find someone who knows how to do so for me. The tires are definately on the list for replacement asap. Any recommendation on a decent set?

I definately want to take a class on riding. I've ridden dirt bikes 20 years ago, but not this heavy or fast. Just trying to ride for fun, not killmyselfnby being stupid and learning the right way to do things. I figure since I bought the bike this close to winter, it'll give me some time to tune her up, replace a few things and make sure everything is in order for springtime rides.

I looked up up the photos on some mods, and they look decent, but I don't think that's my style, especially if it's going to make it harder to ride.

im happy with how complete the bike is, besides the missing cover, broken choke, and seems the gas tank bolt needs rethreading. One side is a bit loose. Other than that, fun in my future!

Comment

That's exactly what I want to do. I need to find out some more info on the bikes specs and what not so I know what/how to clean, and what/how to replace what needs to be replaced.

Comment

I would recommend a riders safety course I too was once thinking about building the wheel before it was invented.
            Take the course most of it will seem silly. I took one and the entire time I thought to myself "when will I ever be riding 5-10mph in circles or figure eights" but when you actually start riding all that little stuff stuff you'll learn starts to play a big role. Riding at speed is easy turning around in a small busy gas station can be tricky.

Comment

Hey congrats on the bike!

I have mine (650gt) a bit longer, but just passed my driving exam and am doing the work it needed because it also has been standing for about 10 years with the previous owner. I found that on top of the carb cleaning and new tyres, you should also check the valves, as you might not know the previous care for the bike. And in my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry. Also change the oils, and wash the air filter and re-oil it. Or buy a new one, mine disintegrated while trying to wash it... Maybe check the petcock filter to see if the tank was stored dry or if it's rusty.

As for cosmetics, leave the air path (intake, exhaust e.c.t. ) for what it is unless you know what you are doing. usually the first "cafe" mod is podfilters and that is a sure way to get your bike running poorly. But there is a lot of info on that here
              https://goo.gl/images/nxxavV <- looks nice though!

have fun!

Comment

If that's the original tank, it's an '82
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
                X