Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs550 highway speed?

Hey all,
    thinking about a 45min ride mostly highway not sure if an 81 550 is capable of today's highway speeds for an extended time. Never had had it above 5 1/2k rmps for too long just don't want to cause any serious harm. Anyone have any serious insight?

Why have you been lugging it all this time?

Let it live. They LOVE going over 6k, and will do it all day long.

Take note of where the RED ZONE is on the tach. That is where you start getting nervous.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have been noticing the more I push the needle on the tach the better she runs. There's is just no information out there on how these old gems should be cared for.

Comment

Mine runs great well above the red line. Lasted a hell of a long time too. Well over 120,000 miles, and it still ran beautifully when I sold it.
        I'm a huge fan of the 550, have owned several of them and ridden many more, but I don't think I've ever run a 550 below 5,500 RPM, because it's a complete dog when you lug it.

Besides, the way the power starts to come on at about 8,000RPM is a beautiful thing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Why have you been lugging it all this time?

Let it live. They LOVE going over 6k, and will do it all day long.

Take note of where the RED ZONE is on the tach. That is where you start getting nervous.

Not on a 550. I have pinned the tach hundreds of times, the power just keeps coming, never had any trouble at all. Tiny little pistons going up and down about an inch or so, it needs to spin to do anything at all. Wind it out!

Comment

And to answer the original question, it only goes so fast if you just open the throttle in 6th. Maybe 90 or so depending on your sprocket ratios. If you wind out 4th all the way, then 5th, then hit 6th it will keep building speed, ends up going a whole lot faster. It will likely hit the red line and more in 6th, again depending on your sprocket ratios.
            The key to the 550 is high RPM. It loves it.
            Last edited by tkent02; 10-15-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm still trying to break the habit of looking at at my trucks tach. not lugging her just not sure how far she's willing to go.

Comment

Go watch a formula one race on TV, then go make your 550 sound like that. You will love it.

Comment

But please make sure you have the valve clearances correct and there are no air leaks before you start riding it hard.

Comment

75 or 80mph down the interstate is very doable though I prefer 70 when I actually decide to brave that section of roads which is rare - back twisty roads are much much more fun
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs550l View Post
                      I guess I'm still trying to break the habit of looking at at my trucks tach. not lugging her just not sure how far she's willing to go.
                      If you stop before it gets close to the power band, you're lugging it. It's not a truck.

Comment

My 81 450L twin screams at a little above 6G at 65 MPH and all I can do is laugh to myself and have fun.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          75 or 80mph down the interstate is very doable though I prefer 70 when I actually decide to brave that section of roads which is rare - back twisty roads are much much more fun
                          These are your limits, not the bike's limits.

Comment

These smaller cc motors need to NOT be stifled. Let them run. I see guys trying to to ride these old UJMs like Harleys and it's a joke. Push to the redline or above as needed. I have a kz400 twin and I'm constantly living above the redline and it likes it!

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs550l View Post
                              Hey all,
                              thinking about a 45min ride mostly highway not sure if an 81 550 is capable of today's highway speeds for an extended time. Never had had it above 5 1/2k rmps for too long just don't want to cause any serious harm. Anyone have any serious insight?
                              yah,well...I'd agree with all the boyish enthusiasm as to rpm... 5 1/2 krpm probably (because I don't have a 550 specifically) feels like the "smooth zone" but get used to a little more excitement

...that said, it's a pretty old bike -the rear shocks might be full of glue by now- so be confident of your old machine first.... and anyways, it's not exactly a heavyweight compared to the semis ,suvs, and monster PickUps that are turbulating around you, so take it easy...maybe just warm up a bit between a couple of exits before you commit to an hour of being blown around with a front end that feels awful light or whatever makes you nervous.
                              Don't get too hyper about improving everything first... The old shocks seem to melt up afterawhile and that can help. But you need working brakes with brakelights, turn signals etc. and all else being decent, just wind it up...look for the next higher "smoothzone"!

ONE THING that can help highway comfort are handlebars.... or, the combo of a fairing and handlebars. Wind gains power as a square of its velocity...
                              Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-16-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X