GS850 with M-Unit not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 with M-Unit not starting

Hello all, I just recently redid all my electricals and routed everything through the m-unit. Everything seems fine, starter motor is turning over and plugs have spark.

When I let the bike sit for a while (a day or so) I'll get a little sputter of a start but never anything more than that. Carbs have just been rebuilt, bowls are full and everything was running well before I did this.

Could this possibly be a grounding problem? I know I need to run more grounds to the frame since the negative on the battery smokes a bit. Maybe the spark plugs are out of sync or something, not sure if that even makes sense.

I figure this has to be something electrical but I can't figure out what since there's spark. Anyone have any ideas?

This is an 80' GS850

Did you follow/recheck the directions?

Comment

".... since the negative on the battery smokes a bit. Maybe the spark plugs are out of sync or something, not sure if that even makes sense."

find out why it smokes a bit real soon. Make sure that you have plug wires on correct spark plugs. Sitting on bike, the left ignition coil fires 1 and 4 spark plugs, etc.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by caselat View Post
        Hello all, I just recently redid all my electricals and routed everything through the m-unit. Everything seems fine, starter motor is turning over and plugs have spark.

When I let the bike sit for a while (a day or so) I'll get a little sputter of a start but never anything more than that. Carbs have just been rebuilt, bowls are full and everything was running well before I did this.

Could this possibly be a grounding problem? I know I need to run more grounds to the frame since the negative on the battery smokes a bit. Maybe the spark plugs are out of sync or something, not sure if that even makes sense.

I figure this has to be something electrical but I can't figure out what since there's spark. Anyone have any ideas?

This is an 80' GS850
        Smoke on or near a battery is rarely a good thing. There's a really bad connection or cross-connection someplace.

Start over. Disconnect everything, then hook up one thing at a time. You gotta isolate that issue.

Comment

Working...
        X