"How to" repack speedometer drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How to" repack speedometer drive

I couldn't find a good "how to" on how to clean and repack a speedometer drive, the part that's attached to the front tire, here on GSR despite trying several search terms. My bad I guess. But I stumbled across this on a Cavalcade web site. I didn't want to damage anything trying to figure it out and this has pictures and everything. Just thought it might help anybody else wanting to do this.

sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Not bad, if you ignore all the spelling errors and the fact that they did not remove the driven shaft (the little one at the bottom).

That will remove easily, usually with some very fine-nosed pliers. I have cut away an old nut driver so it has just two pins that will fit into the slots on the retainer.
    Pull that shaft out, clean it up well, it likes fresh grease, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pair of snap ring pliers and it comes apart real easy, clean and regrease, though not too much.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Not bad, if you ignore all the spelling errors and the fact that they did not remove the driven shaft (the little one at the bottom).

That will remove easily, usually with some very fine-nosed pliers. I have cut away an old nut driver so it has just two pins that will fit into the slots on the retainer.
        Pull that shaft out, clean it up well, it likes fresh grease, too.

I know this is a zombie thread, but....

I've taken the driven shaft out before, but on this one it won't budge for some reason. So I'm glad to find this thread and the pictorial showing how the drive gear can be removed in those cases.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X